Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Freedom Performance true dual headers and cans in black. They are everything I had hoped for and then some! I did the install myself. Was already mapped for stage one slipons so I need to ride it a a bit and see what it does, but on the short test ride I took it on I’m pretty happy with it. I couldn’t wait to get rid of all that chrome! Hahaha! On to the next pieces once my wallet recovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
sound please.. love the true duals. had them on my HD. I run with Tabs & zombies on my Challenger. Would love to get a comparison..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The recording really doesn’t do it justice. You can feel these things pounding your chest. Very deep rumble at idle, but sounds like you are on the wall when you crack it. When I went for a test ride after I put them on I cracked the throttle towards the end of 1st and spun the rear tire. I guess I gained a little power there too! .

·
Registered
2020 Challenger base model
53 Posts
Very nice sound at idle. I would love to hear them out on the road, from a stop and going by the camera.

You mentioned that your bike was already tuned for a Stage 1. Please give me the details of exactly what has been done. I am considering this for my bike.

Also, cost?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I upgraded to the Indian brand stage 1 slip on cans when I bought the bike because the Freedom’s weren’t available yet, and I was impatient to get me some rumble. They come with a card that has a code on it. The tech connects the bike to the electronic wrench program (proprietary dealership software) which updates the ECM with a rough tune to compensate for the increased air flow. I say rough because Indians tunes suck. This is something they are working on to improve. Fortunately for my case, the tune is close enough where my new Freedom headers and cans sound and perform awesome. If I ever upgrade my air box, most likely it would have to be flashed to a different tune, but the Indian air cleaners come with code cards also that allow the digital wrench to get the tune “close enough”. The only way to do it 100% perfect is to use a power commander and download a custom tune or have it dyno’d. But that’s a whole other topic regarding warranty etc. Hope this kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the information! I wonder why you haven't added s high air flow box? Also, how much to retune, if you did it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may do the air box in the future but right now I’m happy with the new looks and sound. I’d rather not screw with anything else until Indian improves their mapping. As far as price to tune, the dealerships may differ, but mine didn’t charge me for a tune when I bought the bike along with the Indian cans. And since I didn’t need them to do anything else when I put my Freedoms on, I’m not sure if they would have charged if they did the install. If you had them do a stage 1 flash, it literally only takes 10 minutes if even that. I’d guess you’d probably get hit with a half hour diagnostic fee since most places start out at a half hour. They may want to take it for a short test ride as well. This is normal.

·
Bronze member
1,474 Posts
Co Mac, upgraded air box does NOT increase airflow or performance. It's 100% cosmetic. The Indian tune is really linked to the Stage I mufflers which gives you a little better exhaust flow and sound. But until you ditch the big converter/resonator in front of your rear tire, no matter what you do for exhaust, won't really change sound, performance and air flow.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,110 Posts
FYI, you get the tune with the airbox kit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I may do the air box in the future but right now I’m happy with the new looks and sound. I’d rather not screw with anything else until Indian improves their mapping. As far as price to tune, the dealerships may differ, but mine didn’t charge me for a tune when I bought the bike along with the Indian cans. And since I didn’t need them to do anything else when I put my Freedoms on, I’m not sure if they would have charged if they did the install. If you had them do a stage 1 flash, it literally only takes 10 minutes if even that. I’d guess you’d probably get hit with a half hour diagnostic fee since most places start out at a half hour. They may want to take it for a short test ride as well. This is normal.

Just so I know exactly what you are running there, are these the two parts? I think they are, but I wanted to be sure I was right.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts