Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my headpipe and cat off, sent to American Customs, refitted and I swear it is just as hot if not hotter? It will actually get red hot going around the block. Here is the thing, I put the slightest dent in the rear downtube as I was trying to remove it, so I am thinking this tiny restriction may be causing it to heat up. So, trying again..... Do not want anything where I am cutting the pipe like a jackpot header or others. If you have one with the cat already removed, I am looking for professionally done ones only. Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you haven't already, I think it might be time for a PV3 from Fuel Moto, and a good tune from CraigB. A ding isn't going to cause that much heat, but the leaned out factory tune is causing a lot of heat for sure. A good tune on your bike will eliminate that cherry red exhaust pipe. Plus the better ride with the tune will make the smile on your face much bigger.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wyld, I don’t want to throw more money at it until I’m sure everything is perfect. I do have a factory stage 1 tune, I know fuel moto would be better, but lots more money when I’m not sure I didn’t create an issue.
Caprock, yes I spent the $50 on the stupid expensive gaskets.

·
Rider
677 Posts
Running too lean, or an exhaust leak are typically the most common reasons for exhaust to be running hotter. The first thing I would do is recheck all of the exhaust fittings. Do you have noticeable deceleration popping?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No decel pop, did retorque and gain some turn on the nuts. But still hot, also checked the o2 sensor tightness. Even took to the dealer and had them check for leaks, they found no issues

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe you already read this one, but check this out if you haven't. Maybe it will help

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not read that one, thanks for posting. I did not have the glowing that I know of before the gear selector reflash and decat, unfortunately those two were done about the same time. I had the dealer recheck the tune. I’m still not ready to add an expensive tuner to the mix without exhausting the other possible issues I may have created.

·
Rider
677 Posts
Did you send AC your header for rebuild, or did you buy one of theirs that they had in stock? I don't believe it should matter, but I do believe that our headers are made from the thinnest pipe possible, and maybe some batches are thinner than others. I've had a couple of HD's in the past and never heard the metallic sounds that so many Indians are plagued with. I never had a glowing pipe issue, but I did have the metallic sound when starting the bike from cold that was only remedied by strapping on some more metal to the crossover pipe.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sent mine, which I dinged with a soft block of pine and not much force. I was using a dead blow even... yeah, it’s thin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I took my headpipe and cat off, sent to American Customs, refitted and I swear it is just as hot if not hotter? It will actually get red hot going around the block. Here is the thing, I put the slightest dent in the rear downtube as I was trying to remove it, so I am thinking this tiny restriction may be causing it to heat up. So, trying again..... Do not want anything where I am cutting the pipe like a jackpot header or others. If you have one with the cat already removed, I am looking for professionally done ones only. Thanks
I bought a donor which is currently at American Custom. I expect to get that back in the next week, and I'm happy to sell you the stock one on the bike. 2016 Chieftain with 5500 miles on it. Will ship it straight to ACE if you'd like. Message me if you're interested.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw that, but they changed part numbers in 18, so not sure if it would fit my 17? Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I saw that, but they changed part numbers in 18, so not sure if it would fit my 17? Thanks for the heads up though.
I put my de catted ‘17 header on my ’19 RM Elite, no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts