Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a fair amount of research I stumbled on a new product, Torque Detail Mirror Shine which is a high tech polymer sealant/polish {Google it}. Decided to take a chance and ordered a 3 pack of 8 oz bottles for $60. Their website stressed that the results would be best if the proper prep was employed {like many things}. Based on their recommendation I got a Clay Bar Kit consisting of two clay bars and a bottle of detailer that serves as a lubricant when using the clay bars. This will deep clean right down to the clear coat removing a bunch of contaminants that normal washing just can't touch.

Once the bike was as clean as a conventional wash job {which for me includes a couple of trips around the bike with an old toothbrush, a soft cloth and my spray bottle of Bug Slide which works very well but I digress..} would get it and gently dried with a micro fiber towel it was time for the clay bar. They are about the consistency of modeling clay and you spray a light mist of the detailer onto the surface and then begin rubbing it out with the bar. It does not take much rubbing and the lubricity afforded by the detailer makes it very easy to do. You need to work on small areas and keep track of where you have been but on the bike that was simple enough to accomplish.

When you're finished rubbing the bike out with the bar you will be amazed how much crud you just pulled out as the bar quickly becomes coated in all sorts of nasty road crud. You just reroll/fold the bar to keep exposing a clean surface. Now spray a light mist of the detailer on the area just completed and buff that out with another micro fiber towel and frankly it comes up looking great but you are not nearly done.

Now it is time for the Torque Mirror Shine and working with fresh clean microfiber towels lightly spray it on {it's about the consistency/color of milk}. Spread it out smoothly with towel #1` followed by a light buffing from towel #2. They recommend two coats minimum and I was completely satisfied with the results after two but suspect that three or even four would take it to a whole new level. Anyway here are a couple of shots after 90 minutes of work {listening to tunes and couple of beers}:

I initially bought this stuff to do my 2019 Honda Ridgeline and while that took 3.5 hours to lay on 2 coats everywhere and 4 on the hood and front fenders and three on the tailgate I was so pleased with the results doing the Springfield was a no brainer. Here is a shot of my truck:

That's Mt Lemon in the background {9,200'+} where the Bighorn fire has raged since June 5th. Over 110,000 acres burned and still only 45% contained though no structures have been lost yet. I took this shot 2 days ago and that was the first time in 3+ weeks that it was't completely engulfed in dense heavy smoke and it lights up in flames every night. The worst of the fire has now moved off of the west face and is now burning to the southeast about 20 miles east of Tucson.

I'll be adding a couple more coats to the SF but after doing the Honda I ran out of gas. They claim that the finish will last 6 months but if I get half of that I'll be happy. Doing the truck and the bike I used half a bottle.

:D:D:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Captain Steve those machines look great. Nothing looks better than a black and chrome vintage bike all shined up. What year is your SF? I’m going to do the same to mine when I have time. Thanks!

·
Rider
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain Steve those machines look great. Nothing looks better than a black and chrome vintage bike all shined up. What year is your SF? I’m going to do the same to mine when I have time. Thanks!
It is 2017, I bought it March 31st of 2018... It was the last 2017 in the state of Arizona. They wanted it gone and I wanted it mine so we worked a deal... $20,000 OTD with the OEM passenger backrest {I added the aftermarket rack}. Coming up on 25,000 miles and if there ever has been a happier Springfield owner than me I would sure like to meet him. I was always a bit intimidated about using the clay bar method but once I gave it try and found it was easy and produced amazing results without all that much work {which is important for an old guy, 68, like me} I felt the need to share my experience.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well you sure have a nice bike and that sounds like a good deal. Heck, the sissy bar and pad are 700. Thanks for sharing, always interested in bike cleaning products and results(y)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Both the bike and Ridgeline turned out great. I've picked up, looked at, reviewed and then chickened out on the clay bar deal. However, it appears to really be the cat's meow in extra detail. I may just have to break down and try it.

As for a sealant, I like to hear other's reviews of new items. I'll look into the Torque Detail but right now, I'm still stuck on Griot's Garage 3 in 1 wax as a final step. However, I don't live in the heat of the desert SW either...(y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts