Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, I just received a letter from Polaris saying 2014 Indians are having headlight and driving lights go off unexpectedly.

What I find interesting is that the 2014 models have a unique VCM (new version on 2015 and later).

This is clearly stated on their website www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/accessories/lights/2880289/ where it tells you that to install their 7" Pathfinder LED Headlight (Item # 2880289), the Indian website states: "2014 models require new VCM (4015220) / Required Sold Separately"

Since the VCM is the only difference in the lighting circuit in 2014 vs 2015-2017 models, I am guessing it is a VCM issue. And because replacing the VCM would be an expensive fix for Polaris, I am sure the delay in identifying a solution until September 2019, is because they are hoping to find a less expensive work-around fix.

Just hope my lights or anyone else's lights go out at night and cause a crash before Polaris does the right thing and fixes this ASAP.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just got my bike back from the dealer and they said the problem was addressed by this recall. 2014 chieftain with 29000 miles. It wasn’t just the front lighting that went out but also the rear lights and the ECU. Engine would miss out like it was running out of gas. Tach and gas gauge would hit zero for a few seconds then it would all kick back on. The dash and radio never cut out. Did this for a few seconds for a couple weeks after about a half hour of riding before it went in the shop. The fix was a new VCM and connector on the wiring harnesses. Connector came with a larger pin. Apparently the pin that provides the power to those circuits was too small to handle the current and the pin was burning up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I haven’t seen a problem with lights on my 14 but I got the letter. What I do have is every few times I start the bike the clock has reset to 12 meaning I have lost power. I put in a new battery an have checked all terminals. Bike always starts but it gives you an uncomfortable feeling. The dealer just kinda ignored my questions on it. I also find myself using my pin once in awhile so maybe my fob battery is going bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a headlight, driving light, problem last year. Intermittent driving light failure and headlight out completely, blue high beam indicator flashing. Tech said it was a couple of broken/cracked connector pins on the VCM. Polaris/Indian replaced the VCM under the 5 year unlimited mileage Service Contract, I paid $50 as a deductible. I wonder if this is what this recall is addressing? ….and I wonder if I will get my $50 buck back?? LOL

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,378 Posts
I had a headlight, driving light, problem last year. Intermittent driving light failure and headlight out completely, blue high beam indicator flashing. Tech said it was a couple of broken/cracked connector pins on the VCM. Polaris/Indian replaced the VCM under the 5 year unlimited mileage Service Contract, I paid $50 as a deductible. I wonder if this is what this recall is addressing? ….and I wonder if I will get my $50 buck back?? LOL

I think you should be able to get your money back, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. Just got my Vintage last week and the right driving light is out. I wonder if I'll get the letter...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. Just got my Vintage last week and the right driving light is out. I wonder if I'll get the letter...
Only if it is a 2014 Vintage - the first VCM and the only model year with a VCM that won't work with LED headlights.

Sounds like you have a defective bulb or electrical connection problem -- hopefully a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Only if it is a 2014 Vintage - the first VCM and the only model year with a VCM that won't work with LED headlights.

Sounds like you have a defective bulb or electrical connection problem -- hopefully a quick and easy fix.
It is a '14... Tried a new bulb. No dice.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Real class act!Send out letter but have no fix for the problem.Is it a faulty connector or is the vcm at fault?No problem so far at 27,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Real class act!Send out letter but have no fix for the problem.Is it a faulty connector or is the vcm at fault?No problem so far at 27,000 miles.
Culpability. They know about it and now the owners do. If you chose to ride, it's all on you. ;) That's what the legal side of me reads "in between the lines".

·
Founding member
950 Posts
The letter states the fix. Will be availible fall 2019 Many car recalls work the same way. Had to wait over 1 year. To get air bag recall fix on my 2007 Mustang.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't need no stinking lights! I'm a Rebel.
On the serious side, mine has been going off and on for 3 years.
Heck, I took em off.
Now I have to put my lights back on.
IMG_20181011_123236.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Class has nothing to do with it its all on the government. I work in the auto industry see this all the time .The feds make manufactures send out notices if there is a fix or not .Its a time thing notices need to be sent out with in so many days . Dont be so quick to jump on the hate indian wagon . Im sure they'll figure it out

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The letter states the fix. Will be availible fall 2019 Many car recalls work the same way. Had to wait over 1 year. To get air bag recall fix on my 2007 Mustang.
The letter does not "state the fix". It only says that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. No where in the letter does it specify exactly what that solution will be. When the solution is released, it may in actuality be multiple solutions depending on the current condition of the vehicle. POSSIBLY requiring an initial inspection to determine if any damaged terminals are present in the harness or VCM and the extent of the damage, followed by repair or replacement of the harness and VCM if needed, and POSSIBLY just installing relays for the lights on bikes with no other damage to limit the current draw on the circuits to the existing VCM. I see these kinds of recalls quite often on the heavy trucks, where the course of action is determined by the conditions present on each vehicle, and the required repairs are based on cost/benefit analysis as well as safety.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts