Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The moderators and I have put together a standardized protocol for disciplinary action.

Warnings. These can be either informal (private message or a posting in the body of a thread telling somebody to tone things down), or in more serious cases, formal. Note that any time we delete or modify a post, we generate a private message to you that explains exactly why.

• formal warning points range from one to five, depending on severity
  • warning points will be in effect for a minimum of six months. For practical purposes this is “probation.”
  • a second warning within a six-month period will generally result in suspension

Suspensions

- a moderator or administrator will often suspend a member for two weeks while a serious case is brought up for discussion. This allows time for the group to reach consensus.

- If we decide that a suspension is warranted, the minimum subsequent suspension will usually be a month.

- Any subsequent suspension will usually be six months, and any major violation after a six-month ban will be permanent exclusion from the group.

So the usual progression will be: informal warning, formal warning, one month off, six months off, and you’re gone forever. Serious violations may/ probably will jump this chain. For example, flaming up a staff member in a public post will buy you at least a month off and it will happen quickly. If you’ve got a beef with us, send us a private message.

Things that will get you bounced off the island immediately and permanently:

• spam
  • threats to another member or staffer
  • posting negative stuff on somebody else’s home (profile) page
  • posting somebody’s home address, phone, or private social media link(s) without permission

These are guidelines. They are not written in stone but they do give everybody the lay of the land.

We also reviewed and edited the rules — no huge changes, but we did clarify some things and modify a couple of others. When you get a chance, zoom over there and review. Link to follow. Holler if questions and as always we welcome your feedback.

·
Administrator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,201 Posts
Yes Dad

Reactions: tmar007 and Dohmer

·
German Rider
1,363 Posts
I just got an itch to open up a new oil, tire, political or pandemic thread - or maybe all in one ? 🤔 😉 😁

Just kidding.....

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its too bad you even have to have such things in place. People will act so much braver behind a keyboard than FTF.

·
Silver member
4,559 Posts
Seems owners of this site might have studied under Facebook, Twitter, and the like. Oh well....

·
Administrator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just out of interest, Hink, how often do you need to slap a wrist?
The edits and deletions are most common - - no points. 97% of the folks here “get” the rules and have no issues complying. The rules are fairly straightforward and reasonable, IMHO. Now that the ”pandemic“ thread has gone away, and we have reinforced that bright line rule on “no politics,” things have gotten much easier. The recent events at The Capitol reflect that — I was holding my breath but only had one guy post a thread (which was deleted and he knew it probly would be).

In the last month we have suspended two people. One was an “in your face” repeat violator (doing the same thing repeatedly — sorta like banging your head against the wall/ 2nd suspension for doing the same stuff). The other one was a relatively new guy who decided he was going to get in a bar fight with everybody on the forum on a topic that should have been completely innocuous.

Formal warnings are fairly rare — once every couple of weeks.

·
Administrator
13,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Seems owners of this site might have studied under Facebook, Twitter, and the like. Oh well....
We came up with these on our own. VS had nothing to do with them. VS did not direct us or tell us to codify our discipline stuff — it’s just that we were kind of all over the place in terms of how we administered discipline. Some consistency was needed, and this was our idea. I am not on Twitter, and I do not know what the Facebook rules are (never saw a need to push whatever envelope they may have).

“Just use common sense” seems to be the best rule.

PS: like the new avatar! Melania is a big improvement over Chief Dan George.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts