Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I was unable to get on the forum. Yet I could get onto any other website. I kept getting a "Server Not Responding" message. After much research and experimenting, I discovered the following... It turns out that sometimes your Modem or Router can block you from certain sites . Apparently some big time websites like this one. It is owned by Vertical Scope in Toronto. They have over 1100 forums and they all go to the same IP address. Then their server sorts out where to send you. Pretty complicated. Also, last year Vertical Scope got hack and caused them a lot of problems. So I imagine since then they have stepped up their security. Anyway. I learned that a modem or router. (Not positive which one. I use a combo unit.) can block you from certain sites (usually large high security sites). Particularly if it is an old unit. There is almost nothing you can do. The solution is to buy a new modem/router and hook it up. This solved my problem and several techs told me this was by far the easiest way to solve it. So don't worry I am able to haunt the forum all I want now.

Anyone else ever deal with a situation like this?

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
Recently, I was unable to get on the forum. Yet I could get onto any other website. I kept getting a "Server Not Responding" message. After much research and experimenting, I discovered the following... It turns out that sometimes your Modem or Router can block you from certain sites . Apparently some big time websites like this one. It is owned by Vertical Scope in Toronto. They have over 1100 forums and they all go to the same IP address. Then their server sorts out where to send you. Pretty complicated. Also, last year Vertical Scope got hack and caused them a lot of problems. So I imagine since then they have stepped up their security. Anyway. I learned that a modem or router. (Not positive which one. I use a combo unit.) can block you from certain sites (usually large high security sites). Particularly if it is an old unit. There is almost nothing you can do. The solution is to buy a new modem/router and hook it up. This solved my problem and several techs told me this was by far the easiest way to solve it. So don't worry I am able to haunt the forum all I want now.

Anyone else ever deal with a situation like this?
That's interesting. I got a call from a fellow forum member yesterday reporting his inability to reach this site for the past week. Can get to everywhere else though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is probably your providers craptastic DNS service. I don't use the providers DNS services anymore as they were always causing issues. Now use googles DNS servers and never have issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts