Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noodling around the garage the other night I saw the front fork upper tubes at the top triple clamp are set at the second ring, which by my measurement is 10mm. How are the groups set and have you experimented with adjusting up or down?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Same here. Haven’t experimented with it. Haven’t even touched front preload, I think it’s fine for my weight. Just played with the comp & rebound damping dials.

Raise the bike front, slower steering => nah
Lower the bike front, quicker steering, less ground cleance => nah

·
Bronze member
2,306 Posts
If you suck them up higher. It increases turn in speed. But also decreases high speed straight stability. If you keep the rear the stock height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Buy this book - Sportbike Suspension Tuning on Amazon. It's written by Andrew Trevitt who was an editor at Sport Rider magazine and an AMA road racer. He covers every single adjustment on a motorcycle and why you would touch it. He takes a difficult to understand and somewhat boring topic and makes it easy to understand and fun.

Most of the concepts apply to street and dirt bikes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You'll only get 1/4 inch for shifting the forks up and still be able to turn the adjusters with the stock bars and no risers.
The FTR has a surplus of stability so moving this way will quicken the steering with minimal negative effect. The only real negative is the loss of ground clearance.
I'll be looking to raise mine further at the rear when I can afford a new shock, make that big long bike turn!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My forks are down to the cap being flush with the top three and have a 15 mm thick internal
spacer to compensate for the 17 inch wheels I have and to get 30 to 35 mm sag.
I also took some sag out of my rear shock as well. Works great.

·
Bronze member
2,306 Posts
I lowered mine about 10mm.

Lowering them actually makes highway speeds worse.

But lowering them makes quick turnin much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts