Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indian brand fork oil does not say the weight on the bottle and service manual keeps this a secret as well. What weight are folks putting in as they change it? Looking at Belay 10, 15, or 20W for my Roadmaster but not sure what is best option. Thanks

·
Bronze member
1,448 Posts
The Indian oil viscosity is rated in centistokes so when I first changed my fork oil I made many phone calls to many companies to see if I could find a match for a less expensive oil that I can get from my distributor as I am a shop owner, I never found any manufacturer that had anything exact, so this last time when I change the fork oil I just bit the bullet and got the Indian oil.
RACNRAY

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
The Indian oil viscosity is rated in centistokes so when I first changed my fork oil I made many phone calls to many companies to see if I could find a match for a less expensive oil that I can get from my distributor as I am a shop owner, I never found any manufacturer that had anything exact, so this last time when I change the fork oil I just bit the bullet and got the Indian oil.
RACNRAY
Racnray, it's a cartridge fork. Doesn't that mean you want a 7.5-10 weight oil max?

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
The best fork oil you can buy is the Redline fork oil.

Everyone looks at life expenses differently. Unless the difference is *substantial* raw dollar-wise I always go with the best I can buy.

By raw dollar-wise I mean a product that is $15 and the other option is $10 is 50% more but I will always spend the $5.

But I will drive in circles for 30 minutes until I find an open parking space way before I spend $5 to park for an hour.

But that's just me.

WD./

(and I can no longer get myself to stay at a Motel6 since they raised their prices above $6)

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
Racnray, it's a cartridge fork. Doesn't that mean you want a 7.5-10 weight oil max?
Lots of cartridge forks use 5 weight. It all depends on the valve&damping curve they built into the cartridge.

The TS bikes do have a real cartridge fork but it is a somewhat low-end KYB that cannot be re-valved.

But it has a true shim stack which is a nice step above the Harley "bending metal" single shim BS.

I think it was Harley going to the 1 shock on the left side with a single spring (no damper) on the right and their cockamamie bending metal crap fork upgrade that made me finally give up on them as a serious company.

Just fookin' embarrassing that they are an American company touting themselves as delivering world-class American knowhow.

WD./

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Wyattsdad its funny you say that “world class” they have been doing it longer then anyone out there. And still build just a descent down the middle of the road bike at best. What a joke they should be doing it better then anyone by now

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking to have my local independent do the fork oil, that is why not just putting the Indian branded oil back in. Local indy carries Belray brand fork oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts