Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm running a 2015 Classic, 2,800 miles, that's new to me this spring. When driving the secondary roads at 20 to 40 mph going over bumps in the road produces a very load metallic clunk, almost like the forks are returning to position with no damping, just snapping back. Having purchased the bike 2,200 miles away, and having it shipped here, returning to the point of sale for inspection really isn't an option. So before locating the nearest dealer and starting up an association there I thought that I might try for some advice on this forum.
thanking you in advance for your consideration, gees Louise.

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
well ... I had something similar happening with the forks of my 2014 Classic ... after a small fender bender impact with a blind cager.

Road irregularities were causing a clunk in the front. Using the front brakes hard and then releasing them was causing a kind of slack in the steering head as well.

The dealer was able to fix it by tightening up a certain nut on top of the steering head which apparently had loosened up over the 6000kms and some other adjustments. After the impact I just happened to be more sensitive towards "things" with my front end ;)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ... I had something similar happening with the forks of my 2014 Classic ... after a small fender bender impact with a blind cager.

Road irregularities were causing a clunk in the front. Using the front brakes hard and then releasing them was causing a kind of slack in the steering head as well.

The dealer was able to fix it by tightening up a certain nut on top of the steering head which apparently had loosened up over the 6000kms and some other adjustments. After the impact I just happened to be more sensitive towards "things" with my front end ;)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Hello All,

I'm running a 2015 Classic, 2,800 miles, that's new to me this spring. When driving the secondary roads at 20 to 40 mph going over bumps in the road produces a very load metallic clunk, almost like the forks are returning to position with no damping, just snapping back. Having purchased the bike 2,200 miles away, and having it shipped here, returning to the point of sale for inspection really isn't an option. So before locating the nearest dealer and starting up an association there I thought that I might try for some advice on this forum.
thanking you in advance for your consideration, gees Louise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the response cmoalem, someone else put the first 2,800 miles on this bike, so no telling what might have taken place. I've put the bike up on a hydraulic stand looking for play in the front end, and didn't find any. It looks like it's off to a dealer for someone with more experience with these bikes to give me their opinion.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Howdy @Louise ,
Here are some things to look at:

Check that nothing bolted to your front end is loose - fender, shrouds, etc.

Raise the front wheel off the ground. Push the fork-legs up and down to see if there is any noticeable play in the frame's fork-neck bearings. Make sure that the fork tubes are secure in the triple-tree clamps and that the pinch-bolts are tight. Check for any play or roughness in the wheel-bearings.

If all checks out, then the noise may well becoming from inside the tube/spring/damper assemblies, which will require a tear-down to inspect, probably worth a trip to the dealer to do under warranty.

Hope this helps --- Randall

·
Bronze member
2,645 Posts
You can also check the front brake calipers for play, they could make a clunking sound if they have movement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good folks on this forum, thanks again for the information, I'll give everything a check before giving up and heading to the dealer.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
If delving into that sort of diagnosis I would get the service manual. With that it can tell you how to check or change your fork oil. Too much or to little can affect how your front suspension responds. From your description it sounds as though your topping out. If there is too little or no oil in the forks they will bang when they fully extend.

·
Registered
Indian Scout Bobber 2019
4 Posts
I have a strange noise on my Indian Scout Bobber 2019, apparently it´s the fork, or maybe this noise is normal, I don't know.

In the video you can hear the noise when finishing the speed bump.

Thank you very much for your comments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts