Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told the North American Scouts do not have a fork lock (why not??!??!??!?!!!)

Some people think they're not effective anyway so why bother(?) But anyway, I want one.

Here's a link to the fork lock, which I assume is there for international/overseas Scouts. It's part #10

Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't work if I ordered one & installed it myself? I assume I can get the lock re-tumbled to work with my ignition key. Please advise!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wow $116.99 for just a lock!! Seems excessive to me..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is pricey :( but I insist on having some sort of security for my Scout. I was looking at those clamp-on rotor locks, they're between $30-70 for a decent one, but they are inconvenient because I'd have to clamp/unclamp it from the brake every time I stop. And when not in use, where do I keep it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes it is pricey :( but I insist on having some sort of security for my Scout. I was looking at those clamp-on rotor locks, they're between $30-70 for a decent one, but they are inconvenient because I'd have to clamp/unclamp it from the brake every time I stop. And when not in use, where do I keep it?
I am wondering though if they would even ship it to you since it has the intl in brackets - would be interesting if other aftermarket vendors couldn't come up with something that would work. I would be willing to carry 2 keys if needed to not pay mother Polaris my first born to have a fork lock.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The same site also sells the side-stand ignition cut-out solenoid ;)

LINK

Wiring up up shouldn't be too challenging, hopefully

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've been told the North American Scouts do not have a fork lock (why not??!??!??!?!!!)

Some people think they're not effective anyway so why bother(?) But anyway, I want one.

Here's a link to the fork lock, which I assume is there for international/overseas Scouts. It's part #10

Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't work if I ordered one & installed it myself? I assume I can get the lock re-tumbled to work with my ignition key. Please advise!
Some European countries including Australia require by law that bikes have some sort of lock or they will not be insured. The US has no such requirement, so Indian and a few other bikes manufactures can further keep the price down by not installing one. It's your bike and your money, but all the fork locks I've seen including the Scout oversees market offer are totally ineffective, giving some riders a very false sense of security, as they are poorly designed and defeated in seconds, really seconds. I'll be using a disk brake lock to keep my bike from rolling off, when the moment is right. And full coverage replacement insurance.

Big city retired cop

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
The same site also sells the side-stand ignition cut-out solenoid ;)

LINK

Wiring up up shouldn't be too challenging, hopefully

Red, are you sure that this is a ignition cut out switch? Price seems right and looks easy to install.
If it is for sure I won't let my shirt tail hit my butt till I get mine ordered!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red, are you sure that this is a ignition cut out switch? Price seems right and looks easy to install.
If it is for sure I won't let my shirt tail hit my butt till I get mine ordered!
I'm pretty sure it is. Same part #

LINK

The bigger question is, how easily is it wired into the system. Someone would have to go through the Scout wiring schematic if you were wanting to wire it in the same way Indian did for the exported Scouts

·
10,006 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is. Same part #

LINK

The bigger question is, how easily is it wired into the system. Someone would have to go through the Scout wiring schematic if you were wanting to wire it in the same way Indian did for the exported Scouts

It would be absolutely wonderful if it does work.
I would suspect that Indian wouldn't have two different wiring bundles for European and American bikes.

The wiring and plug for the switch is probably already in the wiring loom and it should be a plug and play install!
We are slowly learning from threads like this that they will just nickle and dime us to death getting what should have been on the bike from the start.
All that said, I'm going to take a chance on it and place an order. :)

·
10,006 Posts
OK Red, the switch is on order and should be here between 14th and 17th of January!
Little over $65.00 for switch, two bolts and shipping!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would suspect that Indian wouldn't have two different wiring bundles for European and American bikes.
The Scout parts fiche shows a European and an American main wiring harness. The European one of course has all the wiring to support the ABS. So now the question is: Does the American harness have the plug down near the sidestand to plug in the sidestand lockout switch?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Part number 4013956 is a "SWITCH-GEAR INDICATOR,N,OD" Wondering if, perhaps the gear indicator is programmed into the electronics already, but they removed the sensor at the last minute to cut costs? This is tae same exact part as used on some Victory models.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some European countries including Australia require by law that bikes have some sort of lock or they will not be insured. The US has no such requirement, so Indian and a few other bikes manufactures can further keep the price down by not installing one. It's your bike and your money, but all the fork locks I've seen including the Scout oversees market offer are totally ineffective, giving some riders a very false sense of security, as they are poorly designed and defeated in seconds, really seconds. I'll be using a disk brake lock to keep my bike from rolling off, when the moment is right. And full coverage replacement insurance.

Big city retired cop
Thanks Brian, yes you are probably right that there is no such thing as a security device that will stop the most determined thief from taking your bike. So, it's probably a good thing that the majority of thieves aren't that determined. If I can stop the 80-90% of thieves that will go away if they encounter resistance, then I'm only left to worry about the 10-20% of determined thieves ;)

It's like, the majority of punk kids that are looking for cars/valuables will just walk around parking lots pulling on door handles looking for unlocked cars. Simply locking your door keeps them out. Sure a 'determined thief' will work harder to get your car/bike/stuff, but they account for the minority of crooks not the majority. A fork lock would be just as useless as a rotor lock against them.

I'm planning on ordering that factory fork lock. I think the hardest part of installation is the fork itself probably has to be loosened & lowered so as to insert the mounting bolts, which appear to go DOWN through the triple clamp & into the lock assembly. Does that seem right?

Also the lock should be retumbled to match the ignition key, but I assume a locksmith can do that(?)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow $116.99 for just a lock!! Seems excessive to me..
It is not just a lock. You also get an ignition switch, and fuel cap lock, so all three work with the same key. You can't get the fork lock by itself. This is a policy which has carried over from the pre-2012 Victory bikes without a fork lock. Had the same issue when trying to get a fork lock for my Vegas. Yes, I could get it but I also got the other two items. I decided I did not need it that badly.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Your link to the fork lock reveals this description: ASM-IGN/FUEL/FRK LK,I,INTL,SLV | [INTL.][INCL. IGN. and FUEL LOCK] . Notice that you also get the ignition and fuel tank lock. 3 for 1 deal. replace all three and not pay the locksmith.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is not just a lock. You also get an ignition switch, and fuel cap lock, so all three work with the same key. You can't get the fork lock by itself. This is a policy which has carried over from the pre-2012 Victory bikes without a fork lock. Had the same issue when trying to get a fork lock for my Vegas. Yes, I could get it but I also got the other two items. I decided I did not need it that badly.
OK that's really interesting info, thanks for that! It does make sense for for nearly $120 does sound excessive just for the fork lock piece. So if I order it I can either just use the fork lock with the key provided, or swap out my original ignition & fuel locks for the replacement parts & have a unified locking system.. sweet!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was surprised the fork lock wasn't included. It was one of the first things I asked the dealer after my attempt to find it on my own. But...lack of one....well it didn't stop me from buying a Scout. Now just waiting for the weather to cooperate a little.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts