Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone happens to know the thread and the spacing between the two mounting holes on the upper fork/triple tree area? see pic for location. I'm building some brackets for some custom deflectors I got a while back. Mine is a 2017 RM classic Thunder-black. Thanks!
abcd.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Methinks you need to take one of the screws to a fastener place (they love figuring out that shit). While you're there, pick up a caliper and you can measure the distance between them. Manual doesn't give these specs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The holes are empty, so I grabbed some thread gauges and found out it's a M8x1.25 thread. I ended up buying a used set of deflectors, just for the brackets. When I get the spacing information, I might machine up a couple adapters so we can bolt up Harley/Memphis Shades/Generic/ect... deflectors to the Indian. I think it can be done for <$20 a set (raw aluminum). There isn't much for aftermarket brackets on these bikes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
what is the purpose of the fork deflectors? I see the Indian ones are on sale right now, do they serve a different purpose than a fairing or soft lowers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I find they work great for reducing buffeting from air coming up around the fairing, when I have my lowers removed. I was skeptical at first; but I got a great deal on a set so I took the chance. I have just recently stripped my Roadmaster down to Chieftain mode, and am really glad I have these deflectors! The buffeting and handling felt really weird, distracting to me when I removed just the lowers, but now am much more comfortable, as well as much quieter with these lower wind deflectors installed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I find they work great for reducing buffeting from air coming up around the fairing, when I have my lowers removed. I was skeptical at first; but I got a great deal on a set so I took the chance. I have just recently stripped my Roadmaster down to Chieftain mode, and am really glad I have these deflectors! The buffeting and handling felt really weird, distracting to me when I removed just the lowers, but now am much more comfortable, as well as much quieter with these lower wind deflectors installed.
I don't get buffeting in normal riding position but when I put my feet out on the pegs my legs and feet plow air right up into my face. If I hold my flat hand beside the tank, it lessens quite a bit. I would be interested in deflectors just for this.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't get buffeting in normal riding position but when I put my feet out on the pegs my legs and feet plow air right up into my face. If I hold my flat hand beside the tank, it lessens quite a bit. I would be interested in deflectors just for this.
On my Roadmaster I open the vents on the lowers and raise the clear plastic deflectors in the up position I do not get buffeting in my face when using the pegs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
On my Roadmaster I open the vents on the lowers and raise the clear plastic deflectors in the up position I do not get buffeting in my face when using the pegs.
Mine is the RM Classic, so no lowers.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That is crazy!
I think you're talking about the price of the wind deflectors. Crazy for sure. But, it's in CA dollars so it's prolly only about $29.95 US. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts