Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of enduring the wrath of the oil threads gods, I want to pose a question to those of us who ride in South Florida (South of Tampa/Orlando) and other hot weather locations. Aside from Indian saying to use their 20W40 oil, is there a technical reason to avoid a full syn like the Amsoil 20W40 or to not use a full Syn 20W50 like Mobile 1/Amsoil/Castrol/etc. in our hot environments particularly on a stock bike?

While I always prefer to stay with the manufacture's guidelines and recommendations, my gut is telling me that full syn 20W50 is a better choice for our riding environment as is adding a fan for the oil cooler for in town riding (stage 1 is another discussion) than a 20W40 semi.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is NO reason why you cannot run a full sync. I have been using Amsoil 20/50 full sync for hot weather riding for years. However, not every full sync is compatable with a wet clutch. Amsoil has no problem. The T111 loves it.

·
German Rider
921 Posts
Not in Florida, but will switch to Motul 20W-50, API SN next time. Fully wet clutch compatible and also exceeds the requirements of API SM, which Indian says as minimum.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After to talking to some service folks at a couple of dealers, I have found out and verified that Polaris says one can use 15W60 full syn in any of their engines, including the 111. I ordered the Amsoil today.

·
Senior member / gold
6,366 Posts
Check with @RACNRAY , down in Hallandale Beach. He did my oil change with full synthetic... not sure of the weight, but runs great.

·
German Rider
921 Posts
After to talking to some service folks at a couple of dealers, I have found out and verified that Polaris says one can use 15W60 full syn in any of their engines, including the 111. I ordered the Amsoil today.
Correct, but I think, that I feel, that shifting with 20W is a bit more smooth than with th 15W - especially with higher outside temps. And the 20W is proved to use/ride down to 32°F /0°C, so I don't ride at those temps.

Cu,
Sven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts