Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Rider
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attached the section of Kentucky HB 370 which states how you can run a red light legally when it refuses to change.

I printed this and it is stored on my bike. A lot of cops are not up on every single law. In their defense, how could they be? The polyglot of laws is impossible to keep up with. If you ride in Kentucky, print and carry this on your bike.

I think riders in any state should research to see if their state has a similar statute. I'm sure some others must.

Attachments

·
Rider
1,225 Posts
The other states that allow it are
Arkansas
Idaho
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Virginia
Wisconsin
The law in Kentucky says you have to wait two minutes. Other states have other limitations. Yeah if you might be doing this it probably wouldn’t hurt to have a copy of the law with you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also live in Kentucky and own an Indian, a BMW and, a Moto Guzzi. I do have problems triggering traffic sensors on the Beemer and the Goose, but seldom have a problem on the Indian; more ferrous metal, I guess. It's nice to know that this law exists. When I do get stuck at a light, as soon as I determine that the sensor was not tripped, I take a good look around, and if there are no vehicles approaching the intersection, I go through the red light; don't necessarily wait full 2 minutes or 2 complete cycles. Related to this: I often get stuck at a light with cars behind me, but they are too far behind to trip the sensor. When I motion to them to roll forward over the sensors, they freak out and act like I am going to harm them. It's hard to believe that so many people are still unaware that most traffic lights are now controlled by computers and sensors.

Jon

·
Registered
230 Posts
I sat at t red light once for about 6 or 7 minutes, then drove through it. As soon as I did, a cop who had been sitting down the street pulled me over. He was laughing and asking me what took me so long to go through.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,096 Posts
Legal in Washington as well....

RCW 46.61.184

Bicycle, moped, or street legal motorcycle at intersection with inoperative vehicle detection device.

Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the operator of a bicycle, moped, or street legal motorcycle approaching an intersection, including a left turn intersection, that is controlled by a triggered traffic control signal using a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size or composition of the bicycle, moped, or street legal motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection. If the traffic control signal, including the left turn signal, as appropriate, fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic signal, the operator may, after exercising due care, proceed directly through the intersection or proceed to turn left, as appropriate.

·
5,380 Posts
I found that putting your kickstand down right on the sensor strip will trigger the light. It may require putting your bike into neutral to do this depending upon whether there is a kickstand switch on your bike. It's been a big help for me several years now.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I sat at t red light once for about 6 or 7 minutes, then drove through it. As soon as I did, a cop who had been sitting down the street pulled me over. He was laughing and asking me what took me so long to go through.
That's actually the mood around my parts as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I had lighter sport bikes I would come to sensor with a little speed and brake hard on the sensor. That usually worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,933 Posts
I don't know what the law here in NY State says, but if a red light doesn't go green within a few minutes I do what Mom taught me when I was a little tyke.... look both ways then cross the street.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other states that allow it are
Arkansas
Idaho
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Virginia
Wisconsin
The law in Kentucky says you have to wait two minutes. Other states have other limitations. Yeah if you might be doing this it probably wouldn’t hurt to have a copy of the law with you.
I am from MN and have used this provision a few time but very carefully.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Heading to work at 430 am everyday, I encounter numerous "dumb" red lights. Wasn't aware of this statue for (IL ), Found it, read it, printed, and storing it with bike docs in the bag. THANKS FOR POSTING.

·
Rider
1,341 Posts
Yeah, I think in NC it's after 90 seconds. But, I usually don't wait that long if I can see clearly and there's no traffic (or cops, obviously).

BD

Reactions: Cmiller

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
We call it a "Dead Red" here in Colorado. I just looked it up and I guess they starting allowing it last year. Well at least for Indians!!!!! Check out the pic on the site!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
In GA I read that a law allowing this was passed in 2015 but that then Gov. Deal vetoed it. If anyone has more current info please post.

·
Rider
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In GA I read that a law allowing this was passed in 2015 but that then Gov. Deal vetoed it. If anyone has more current info please post.
According to this, it is still dead.

·
Rider
1,023 Posts
Indiana is 120 seconds

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: JoyRider

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Here in Alabama I got pulled over one night last year for turning left on a red light that skipped me the first time.

Told the sheriffs deputy I’ve been doing that for 40 years and no one ever stopped me before. His reply was, ‘because this is the first time you were caught’.
He didn’t write me up, just explained it was not legal to do. I wasn’t really believing that.

Reactions: Motherwell Products

·
5,380 Posts
There's been a gadget on the market for years called a Red Light Trigger. It's nothing more than a big magnet that you mount low on your bike. Don't know if it actually works or not. I just put my steel kickstand down directly on the sensor strip to get the light to change. Works for me,

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
I don't know what the law here in NY State says, but if a red light doesn't go green within a few minutes I do what Mom taught me when I was a little tyke.... look both ways then cross the street.
New Yawk also has a dead red light law allowing motorcycles to proceed after making a full stop qand yielding right of way to traffic coming from all other directions.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts