Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here, and potentially thinking of purchasing a Scout. :cool:

I love the looks of the bike, but when I look at the specs it seems like a small bike. :( The wheelbase is 61.5", whereas the Street Bob is 64.2" and even the Victory High Ball is 64.8".

I'm hoping to see the bike in-person within the next couple of months. But for folks who have already seen the Scout, does it look small? I know it's a funny question, but I'm 6'2" and I don't want to look like a giant on it.

I've owned many different cruisers (e.g., Street bob, vtx1800, m109, etc), and the Scout will be next bike. Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here, and potentially thinking of purchasing a Scout. :cool:

I love the looks of the bike, but when I look at the specs it seems like a small bike. :( The wheelbase is 61.5", whereas the Street Bob is 64.2" and even the Victory High Ball is 64.8".

I'm hoping to see the bike in-person within the next couple of months. But for folks who have already seen the Scout, does it look small? I know it's a funny question, but I'm 6'2" and I don't want to look like a giant on it.

I've owned many different cruisers (e.g., Street bob, vtx1800, m109, etc), and the Scout will be next bike. Thanks
Hi phatjoe, I've seen it, sat on it, and fired it up - No Demo ride, though. Very sweet out of the box at that introductory stage. Mixed opinions about the stock exhaust. Isn't it always that way?
The bike is low like a Fat Boy Low but about an inch taller - balance wise, it is light as a feather due to the low CG - It's wheelbase and rake are very close to a Ducati Diavel.
Another member said he saw a guy as tall as John Wane sit on it, loved it and went gaga over it and put a deposit on it then and there.
John Wayne was 6'4" and he looked big on a horse. I am 5' 6" (or 7") and I measure about 36" from the seat to the top of my head my inseam is 29" - I weigh 220lbs. Proportionally, I am just right
for the Chief and the Scout. Put me on a sky high adventure bike and we have problems reaching the ground.
What you should do and this would help is to measure yourself sitting on flat surface, a chair, stool, or the steps and get the tape measure out and measure your sitting height - from the seat to the top
of your head (keep back straight) - Next with your riding boots on, measure your inseam - Pull your pants up tight against the family jewel(s) with the tape measure between the center seam and the ground that will
provide your inseam. You may be 6'2" but if your all legs, you might look like a midget on the bike. See my point? For me, even my 36" sitting height made me look big in the cabs of the Big Rigs I used to drive. It was dangerous
too because if I hit a deep hole on the off-road construction jobsites, the truck would drop then come right back up and if the mechanical or air-ride seat wasn't fully extended to lock position I would literally get launched and smash
the top of my head into the roof of the cab. - what I call the Inverted trucker's pile driver. It's a great way to break your neck if you forget to fully charge the seat. Unfortunately the flipside to that setting is buckboard riding.
about the same as riding a hard-tail with only a foam seat, if not slightly better. Worse when I was bob-tailin' and the pits when bob-tailin' a Hendrickson walker equipped rig. Sorry for driftin' off subject.

You should know that the Scout is not like a standard cruiser, though it could be ridden like one. - It's got a speed demon side to it. It isn't a Skirtster either. 5000 rpms is about the time it just starts waking up.
60mph top in first, 90 in second 110 in third and there's three more gears to grab. I haven't calculated top end yet. Peak (100) hp is around 8100.
When I first saw the Scout, the dealer also had 47 Chief - I'd say the new Scout is about the size of that vintage '47 Chief. The 47 was parked near 2014 Chief Vintage and it looked quite noticeably
smaller.
Remember, they have a 2" extended reach forward controls and bars for taller guys. So keep that in mind the day you get to sit on one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I felt the same way until I demo rode it. Yes it is a very compact bike with a low seat and low center of gravity which makes it very easy to toss into a curve. I was surprised at how well it fit me for being 6 ft. 1 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam. This was a short 20 minute demo but I wasn't the least bit uncomfortable on it. The power and acceleration was very strong making the Scout a hoot to ride. The demo also crossed two railroad crossings and it didn't bottom out with my 225 pounds riding on it. You just have to ride one to see for yourself.
Cool - :)

I wonder what the acceleration is on it. ie 0-60, quick passing speeds, and ETs - 1/4 mile time/speed

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's actually almost a goldilocks size. Feels big in front of you when you sit on it, and seeing people on it looks like someone sitting on a serious machine. For me size is about comfort and looking like a proper grown man. It meets both requirements. However, it is low, and it's definitely not huge.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I sat and rode it for demo ride,it is compact and has a very low seat height. It does like to be revved and seems to fly. I was riding in the trail position, so I would let the group get far ahead and then let er rip to catch up, got a petty good test of the brakes too ! They work great. Pipes would be first on my wish list. In my mind it's a short trip bike, you know 100 miles or so. At least for me, but I am an old man (63) I still ride like a young one though. I like to ride fast but the cops are crimping my style ! Some days they seem to be everywhere. I have scraped the pegs on my chieftain around corners.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess size is in the eye of the beholder. I'm coming from a Fat Bob and did 3 demo rides last week. The Scout is much lighter, lower, faster, and nimble than my HD. Seat height is much lower too, I have 30" inseam and easily flat-foot it at stop signs. As I've said in other posts the Scout reminds me a lot of the 3rd generation Honda Magna that I rode for years - a fast, quick and agile cruiser - but much more refined.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cool - :)

I wonder what the acceleration is on it. ie 0-60, quick passing speeds, and ETs - 1/4 mile time/speed
I started a thread about a rally last weekend here in AZ. I got to ride the whole 2015 lineup. The Scout is a true joy to ride, and I remember when I got on the throttle hard the first time, thinking I was going to be pulled off the back. I readjusted my thinking and prepared myself mentally, and the rest of the ride was a blast!

I am 5'9" and it is pretty well stretched out, to me. Almost like the Victory Gunner, if you've sat on one of those. It was so much fun I truly felt like a commercial saying, "I LITERALLY can't wipe the smile off my face!"

I told the saleswoman from Scottsdale Indian, "if I didn't already have my heart set on a willow green Chief Vintage, this bike would easily take its place, for me." Her husband said the same thing. Truly a thing of beauty and a joy to ride. It is so incredibly light as well.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
I started a thread about a rally last weekend here in AZ. I got to ride the whole 2015 lineup. The Scout is a true joy to ride, and I remember when I got on the throttle hard the first time, thinking I was going to be pulled off the back. I readjusted my thinking and prepared myself mentally, and the rest of the ride was a blast!

I am 5'9" and it is pretty well stretched out, to me. Almost like the Victory Gunner, if you've sat on one of those. It was so much fun I truly felt like a commercial saying, "I LITERALLY can't wipe the smile off my face!"

I told the saleswoman from Scottsdale Indian, "if I didn't already have my heart set on a willow green Chief Vintage, this bike would easily take its place, for me." Her husband said the same thing. Truly a thing of beauty and a joy to ride. It is so incredibly light as well.

I hope this helps.

Hi TK,
You said....
"The Scout is a true joy to ride, and I remember when I got on the throttle hard the first time, thinking I was going to be pulled off the back. I readjusted my thinking and prepared myself mentally, and the rest of the ride was a blast!"

Forgive me, but that sentence has me a slight bit confused. Are you saying the bike truly gave you the sensation of being pulled off the bike when you throttled hard? Or was there a slight let down in expectations regarding that acceleration aspect? ....but the rest of the ride was a blast.

I ask as there have been other reports where riders had mentioned the sensation of being peeled off the saddle when accelerating. (which seems to suggest to me that this bike is quick, off the line)
Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
While I saw one didn't get to sit on it or get the feel of it but the local dealer is having one to sit on anyway this Friday .. They won't test rides until Nov 15 Looking Forward to both ..

·
Registered
468 Posts
While I saw one didn't get to sit on it or get the feel of it but the local dealer is having one to sit on anyway this Friday .. They won't test rides until Nov 15 Looking Forward to both ..
Hey Jay,
Just a thought.... maybe or visit the dealer, in advance, and ask to talk to the head honcho in charge of the visit and ask them to show the bike outdoors (if they planned on an indoor showing) and so the patrons can fire them up.
- The dealers showroom appear to be consistent across the country in that they all look alike. However, some dealers will let you fire it off others have the salesmen standing there doing it for you. - That was my experience when I visited the two dealers here in town when the scouts came to visit. One dealer didn't give a rip and invited you to sit and fire it up, the other, just stood there. blah blah and fire up, stroke the throttle then shut it off.
It's quite a different impression when you can fire it up on your own at will.
Anyway, just a thought.

(I'm pretty blessed to live (smack dab in the middle) about 10 miles from both Indian dealers, here in town.)
Some guys don't even have a dealer in their state, but there's one in India. (uhhh.....)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi TK,
You said....
"The Scout is a true joy to ride, and I remember when I got on the throttle hard the first time, thinking I was going to be pulled off the back. I readjusted my thinking and prepared myself mentally, and the rest of the ride was a blast!"

Forgive me, but that sentence has me a slight bit confused. Are you saying the bike truly gave you the sensation of being pulled off the bike when you throttled hard? Or was there a slight let down in expectations regarding that acceleration aspect? ....but the rest of the ride was a blast.

I ask as there have been other reports where riders had mentioned the sensation of being peeled off the saddle when accelerating. (which seems to suggest to me that this bike is quick, off the line)
Thanks in advance.
Sorry, after reading my own post I can see that I must've been coming down off crack. It really is unclear.

What I meant to say is that it was great all around. The throttle was so punchy that I felt like I was hanging on for dear life at first. It was great once I understood the power that this bike has.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I first saw the Scouts come off the truck last Saturday I thought they were so cute I went up to one and patted it on the tank like a puppy...it just caught me off guard how low it is so I sat on it and really enjoyed the layout...No doubt it's a serious machine that's going to sell well and in another year could come to live at my house

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Sorry, after reading my own post I can see that I must've been coming down off crack. It really is unclear.

What I meant to say is that it was great all around. The throttle was so punchy that I felt like I was hanging on for dear life at first. It was great once I understood the power that this bike has.

Seemed clear enough to me the first time. Had a V65 Magna like that. So much punch it would drag you back to pillion. One time I made the mistake of Armor-All-ing the seat. Next day I took off down the street, the bike slide me back so fast I was glad I had a sissy bar to stop me.

Send from my iChair using tapakeyboard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Going to the dealer on Friday to (hopefully) get a demo ride in. At the very least I'll get to sit on it and get a feel for ergonomics so will report back.

I'm 6'3" / 200 lbs with a 34" inseam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going to the dealer on Friday to (hopefully) get a demo ride in. At the very least I'll get to sit on it and get a feel for ergonomics so will report back.

I'm 6'3" / 200 lbs with a 34" inseam
I'm the same size, just 10 lbs heavier. I demo-ed the Scout last weekend, and I called my dealer the next day and added the extended reach seat and controls to my order. My knees were probably a little higher than my hips on the stock setup, and felt like I needed to stretch out a little more (and I'm not currently riding a cruiser).

It's definitely a small bike, and one of the other guys at the demo commented that the Scout was probably not for me (because of my size). I think it's an individual choice that everyone will make when they ride it. I've owned big bikes and smaller bikes and I've enjoyed them all. If you are used to large cruisers, it may feel too small.

I can tell you that the bike is a blast to ride. The smooth clutch engagement makes quick starts a breeze. The transmission is not like any cruiser I've ridden -- silky smooth, no clunks. It really encourages quick shifts and runs up to the redline. Rear end felt a little squirrelly to me when I pushed it in the corners, but nothing a better tire wouldn't fix, I'm sure (I've been riding mostly sport bikes for the last few years). And I've read some complaints about the rear suspension, but it was so much better than the Harley 48 I rode at Americade this summer. I'll probably replace the shocks eventually, but if I bought a 48 I'd have to replace them before riding it -- they were that bad.

The bike is absolutely gorgeous, and I had a stupid grin on my face the entire ride. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I find the bike to be small. My current ride is a Harley bagger, and with the Scout being 300lbs lighter than that it feels like a featherweight.

I'm 5'10" 190lbs, you can see how I fit on this bike. Fits me perfectly. I am slightly stretched out, but you can see that the bike is still pretty small.

2014-09-04 14.08.49.2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Bobby,
Do you recall that old 47 Indian Chief in the front window?

P1010052.JPG

I noticed how much smaller it was compared to the red and black Chief Vintage.
My memory thinks that the 2015 Scout seemed to be about the same size as the old Chief.
Just curious if that observation came to your mind.

MyCool,

"Fits like a glove"

That's a rather accurate description.

The Chief or Chieftain wasn't bad for me either. Very much fit like a glove also.

These should be somewhat helpful to anyone trying to ascertain the motorcycle's
physical differences.
29" inseam, from the top of the hat to where the rear meets the seat is 36"

20140828_123024_resized_2.jpg

P1010068.JPG

Attachments

1 - 20 of 75 Posts