Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was involved in a one vehicle crash about last Sunday down in Alabama. He's pretty busted up. Sounds like his DH started wobbling on him, and he couldn't keep it up. It's in three pieces. His most serious injury is to his spine. He had surgery, and is recovering in ICU. I know he frequents this forum, but the updates about his condition are on the other forum. He had a busted leg, broken toe, and more. Sounds like he's in good spirits, though. He's already talked to his wife about a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
I removed my Sidecar today - Back to 2 Wheels. Of course I had to take the bike out for a little spin - even though it is raining here - just to make sure the Bike still worked with only 2 wheels. :p

I still have the Car Tire on the Bike and it only has about 5,000 miles on it so it will stay on for awhile - until it is worn out or I decide I don't like it.

On my little ride I didn't really notice anything Weird about the Rear Tire being a Car Tire - the bike still leans very easily, corners just like I would expect the Bike to regardless of the Tire. So far there is nothing to make me change back to a Bike Tire. I am heading East this Weekend, so will see how the Car Tire performs for me. I will update this with my thoughts as I get more miles on the Bike with the Car Tire and without the Hack on the side.
I hope this had nothing to do with his accident. Wishing him the best and a FAST recovery!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope this had nothing to do with his accident. Wishing him the best and a FAST recovery!!

I don't think they're even at the point of investigating the reason for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
I don't think they're even at the point of investigating the reason for it.
I follow him and noticed a couple of his "dark side" discussions and then I read of his accident....scary.

Again, wish him a FAST recovery!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I follow him and noticed a couple of his "dark side" discussions and then I read of his accident....scary.

Again, wish him a FAST recovery!!

Yeah, but I don't think a front end wobble can be attributed to a car tire in the rear. I've ridden on one many miles without ever an issue.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah, but I don't think a front end wobble can be attributed to a car tire in the rear. I've ridden on one many miles without ever an issue.
Wishing him all the best and I hope he recovers with minimal suffering, have added to the prayer list.

The following is not in any way meant to speak badly about him or anything that he did or that has happened, but I think an honest discussion of possible causes might be beneficial for everyone.

I had similar thoughts and I don't think a car tire in and of itself would cause a wobble issue, BUT.

He said he had 20,000 miles on it [edit; the bike, not the tire] running the side car. Proper alignment for a hack rig has the bike leaned out a few degrees, which over time will cause the tire to wear a little more on the left side than the right. Uneven tire wear can cause strange handling characteristics, to say the least.

Also remember that pulling a hack puts forces into the frame of the motorcycle that are not normally there. Extra forces while turning, braking, accelerating, and just absorbing road bumps are generated and have to be absorbed by the machine. These forces will most likely concentrate in and prematurely wear the wheel, swing arm, and neck bearings, as these are the points with the smallest surface area for the forces to pass through, as well as moving while passing the loads. Wear in these areas is a know cause of head shake/tank slapper issues.

I replaced the chassis bearings on my Classic at 80,000 miles, and they needed it as they were fretting internally and worn. I could feel the wear in the neck bearings while turning the handlebars with the front wheel off, it felt like detents in a ratchet. I also replaced the swing arm bearings at the same time, as there was almost 1/16 inch of play side to side at the axle with the rear wheel removed. Both of these situations can cause or aggravate a head shake condition, and my bike was feeling less stable than it had been new, especially in a sweeping turn. It was starting to make me nervous at about 75,000 so I ordered all the parts. It feels much better now that everything is tight again.

Mine was that way at 80,000 so you may think that it just doesn't apply to this case, but consider all of the extra loading on these parts when running a hack and it just might pay anyone doing that to keep a very close eye on everything.

Like any bad happening, maybe we can learn something and prevent another person from having the same issues. Good from bad and all that.

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
Wishing him all the best and I hope he recovers with minimal suffering, have added to the prayer list.

The following is not in any way meant to speak badly about him or anything that he did or that has happened, but I think an honest discussion of possible causes might be beneficial for everyone.

I had similar thoughts and I don't think a car tire in and of itself would cause a wobble issue, BUT.

He said he had 20,000 miles on it [edit; the bike, not the tire] running the side car. Proper alignment for a hack rig has the bike leaned out a few
THERE'S ALOT IN WHAT YOU MENTIONED . THANKS FOR HILITING AND REMINDING EVERYONE.APPRECIATED

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I hope for the best.

My brother had a back injury when going over a left-turning car, the reason I quit riding a while. Back pain for years until a surgery finally helped.

I looked for a news story from Sunday June 3 here, nothing found that sounds like it was this.

There has been a bunch of wrecks and fatalities recently in the news. Van going wrong way on freeway. Rear-ended by another motorcycle. So many just locally, and around Alabama for that matter now that I've looked at news or accident info web sites.

Be careful out there! This accident is a good reminder to check over the motorcycle too.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I hate to hear this. Looking forward to hearing from him again when he gets healed up.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts