1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
222 Posts
I saw searched this about 3 days ago. There are a couple of dark horses that really got bopped. Aluminum frames and hard hits make me nervous about what I would be getting into. Parts are also pricey.

·
Senior member / gold
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw searched this about 3 days ago. There are a couple of dark horses that really got bopped. Aluminum frames and hard hits make me nervous about what I would be getting into. Parts are also pricey.
Any Chief or Chieftain frame will suffice. Mix and match, then sell off the salvageable parts you don't use.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Do you have to buy the complete bike, or can you pick parts I'm wondering.

Copart is not too far, might drive down.
Use to pick parts at Junk yards for my old MR-2... wonder if that's an option

·
Registered
513 Posts

They sell complete bikes they came in after the storm sandy hit nj and bought up alot of bikes and cars. You have to register by the time i was done with all the bs i could of bought used and fixed for same price with clean title

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win

I would want to see it or get better pictures, why is this salvaged ? Mine had less damage then this, looks like right side damage from being laid over at a very low speed, or in a trailer, the marks on the bag aren't even really drag marks. The chrome bag hinges aren't even that bad. The exhaust has a dented shield, don't see scratches, shield would be cheap on eBay. Mirror needs replaced etc.

·
Silver member
4,251 Posts
Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win

I would want to see it or get better pictures, why is this salvaged ? Mine had less damage then this, looks like right side damage from being laid over at a very low speed, or in a trailer, the marks on the bag aren't even really drag marks. The chrome bag hinges aren't even that bad. The exhaust has a dented shield, don't see scratches, shield would be cheap on eBay. Mirror needs replaced etc.
Insurance will salvage if there is any doubt about the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Probably broke the frame.
Could be there isn’t any front end damage at all. Guessing the insurance company was replacing saddlebag, fairing and everything else on that side. Probably the entire exhaust also. The only exhaust on mine was going to be replaced for a scratch on a muffler under the saddle bag, I can point out the scratch and some people still can’t see it.

·
Rider
525 Posts

You have to bid on the entire bike, can't part it out! IAAI.com same thing insurance salvage sales. I've bought a BUNCH of salvage HDs over the years, repaired and sold them. Must be cash transactions very difficult to get financed with REBUILT SALVAGE brand on title. Also make sure you're aware of the auction fees!!!! Not uncommon to be $5-600 bucks added to winning bid! And these places want paid for EVERYTHING they touch. If bike has to be picked up with forklift to assist loading...extra charge...buy a ride and drive bike w/ dead battery...there's a charge to use the jump box!! Etc etc etc.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
You have to bid on the entire bike, can't part it out! IAAI.com same thing insurance salvage sales. I've bought a BUNCH of salvage HDs over the years, repaired and sold them. Must be cash transactions very difficult to get financed with REBUILT SALVAGE brand on title. Also make sure you're aware of the auction fees!!!! Not uncommon to be $5-600 bucks added to winning bid! And these places want paid for EVERYTHING they touch. If bike has to be picked up with forklift to assist loading...extra charge...buy a ride and drive bike w/ dead battery...there's a charge to use the jump box!! Etc etc etc.
Think I'll take my chances at the local junk yards, patience is fortune

·
Rider
525 Posts
I checked the reviews on their website, they sound pretty shady.
No they're not shady!!! BUT there's a very thin line between a "good paper" bike and a salvage title bike when you take into consideration the cost of purchasing and the fees involved, the expense to repair the bike and in the state of Ohio what could be a 6 to 8 week time frame for an inspection, the fees involved with the inspection and standing in line @ the BMV for the forms!!!AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH ITS NOT FOR SOMEONE SHORT ON PATIENCE!! Most people are not informed of the facts that a salvage vehicle has NO GUARANTEES involving the safety of the bike, hidden damage-sorry about your luck or OH the odometer doesn't work-SORRY!! I've purchased a bunch of them! And if I made 5,6,$700 on a bike, I sold it!!! If your thinking of buying to repair and flip it can be fun BUT for it to be financially rewarding you have to watch every penny you spend to make it profitable. YOU ARE IN REALITY BUYING JUNK YARD BIKES!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts