Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 5700 miles on my 2017 Scout69 and the left foot peg rubber is worn through on the outside edge. Dealer wants like $70... PER PEG!!! Tried to rotate it 108 degrees, but could not. Maybe some garden hose?

Also, watch out for the little dip-s**t spring clips that hold the pivot pin in on the foot peg mounting swivel: VERY weak and probably impossible to order replacement. I was lucky and able to weasel it back in, but it bent like crazy pulling it off.

Ideas? ISO pegs look close to OEM (don't want to change the look, per se).

OR... I could remove the rubber entirely and risk lots of little baby foot pegs... ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's crazy, already worn through?! Damn do you have grip tape for soles? lol

Just a thought, but maybe find some heat shrink that can go over the peg and heat it up with a heat gun so it shrinks tightly over the peg?

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just thought that baseball bat rubber wrap might be good, but it might not hold up to constant foot pressure. Certainly worth a try... Sons of Bit***s!

·
Silver member
3,152 Posts
I don't have a Scout so no idea what the diameter of the peg is, minus the rubber. That said, maybe a piece of rubber heater hose or lg. fuel line would work??

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Only 5700 miles on my 2017 Scout69 and the left foot peg rubber is worn through on the outside edge. Dealer wants like $70... PER PEG!!! Tried to rotate it 108 degrees, but could not. Maybe some garden hose?

Also, watch out for the little dip-s**t spring clips that hold the pivot pin in on the foot peg mounting swivel: VERY weak and probably impossible to order replacement. I was lucky and able to weasel it back in, but it bent like crazy pulling it off.

OR... I could remove the rubber entirely and risk lots of little baby foot pegs... ;)
Those continuous circle clips are a POS and useless to try to save. Most people replace the pins with bolts, or better 8 mm stainless shoulder bolts. However if you want to reuse the pins, simply buy a hack saw blade w/ fine teeth. Wrap/ tape a rag around one end for a handle. Cut the existing groove wider all way around. Go to auto parts store and get 1/4” “E” clips, or outside circle clips. The latter uses snap ring pliers to take on/ off.

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a Scout so no idea what the diameter of the peg is, minus the rubber. That said, maybe a piece of rubber heater hose or lg. fuel line would work??
Radiator hose!!! Totally. Thanks for that great idea.

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those continuous circle clips are a POS and useless to try to save. Most people replace the pins with bolts, or better 8 mm stainless shoulder bolts. However if you want to reuse the pins, simply buy a hack saw blade w/ fine teeth. Wrap/ tape a rag around one end for a handle. Cut the existing groove wider all way around. Go to auto parts store and get 1/4” “E” clips, or outside circle clips. The latter uses snap ring pliers to take on/ off.
More great ideas!!! Love this Forum.

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I
Get the aeromach. They go on with a screw and you won’t have to worry about the clip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
think you're talking about their shifter/break pegs, which do go on with a screw (BTW: I have these installed already and they're great!)

I'm talking about the footrest peg which has that flop-down thing going on that allows the peg to raise up if you hit on a turn. I don't see anything on Aeromech for that. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wrapped my shift peg in leather. You could do the same for the foot pegs.

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frankly, I think its a crime the original rubber is kaput already. Like I say, its less than two-year old bike with only 5500 miles on it. I think I will ask the dealer to cover it under their two-year warranty. What do you suppose the chances of that flying are?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought the Indian billet pegs. Havent put them on yet but you're welcome to my old pegs. They too have been worn down on one edge from scraping in turns. I can send pics if you want. Send me a private message if you'd like.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wrapped my shift peg in leather, works well.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Sent you a PM Mattyboy.

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just bought the Indian billet pegs. Havent put them on yet but you're welcome to my old pegs. They too have been worn down on one edge from scraping in turns. I can send pics if you want. Send me a private message if you'd like.
Thanks. Already found a pair...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts