Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GF and I are heading down to Maggie Valley in Sept..first time going there. We're about 700 miles from Maggie Valley, so with limited vacation time highway is fastest. My girlfriend is not fond of riding that distance on the interstate. My plan was to rent a trailer to take bike down. However, she came up with the idea that I ride down, while she follows me in her car.

Has anyone done something like this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do it all the time. I have a helmet with bluetooth so my "chaser" just calls me on the phone when she needs to pull over for something. works out great

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Did that from the east coast out to Sturgis. It works out fairly well, extra storage while maintaining decent overall gas mileage (depending on what she drives).

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Technically a chase vehicle is a truck or a van that a bike can be loaded in if it takes a dump on the highway. Mechanically or otherwise. This is just a person following you.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So, what's the problem with riding on the interstate? There's crazy cagers on all types of roads. You just have to always be aware of everything when riding a bike. That's all there is to it. My wife was nervous riding on the interstates the first time I rode with her on the back, but we did it anyway.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
You may find it less stressful to agree where your stops will be, rather than trying to run in tandem. Then it doesn't matter so much if you run at slightly different speeds.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Did it inadvertently last summer. One of the guys who rides with us had an issue with his bike before a ride to a rally last year. Instead of not going he followed us in a car. As it was pointed out, he couldn't haul a bike or anything, but at least if someone's bike goes down they have a ride.

Reactions: Hammerswinger

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
We do the fly and ride thing. She fly's, I ride.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,913 Posts
My wife followed us to IRIP the last two rallies. She doesn't like long rides and needs more "stuff" to survive than we can pack on the bike. She gets caught at lights every once in a while, but it has worked out well for us.
Plus, all the riders don't have to carry our crap on the bikes. We all put our bags in her SUV.

·
Silver member
4,723 Posts
GF and I are heading down to Maggie Valley in Sept..first time going there. We're about 700 miles from Maggie Valley, so with limited vacation time highway is fastest. My girlfriend is not fond of riding that distance on the interstate. My plan was to rent a trailer to take bike down. However, she came up with the idea that I ride down, while she follows me in her car.

Yea, my wife did not like to ride the distance when I had a Softail, so she followed in the car. Now not an issue with a Roadmaster.

·
Bronze member
1,556 Posts

Since you are limited on vacation, here's a couple of ways to look at your options:

Riding the 700 miles: The travel times will be extended because of gas stops, conversing with your darling" about the miles you just traveled and "butt" breaks. Also you (or at least this old man) will feel somewhat worn out after riding 700 miles straight. You will feel it the next morning when you should be 100%.

Trailer: Less stops. You have time with girlfriend in a relaxed way. Your not tired when you get to Maggie Valley. The next morning you are refreshed and ready to enjoy some beautiful and sometimes challenging riding. The trip back home will be easy after you enjoy your vacation.

Maggie Valley is a great "home base" for this area. The people treat you great, it has a fantastic motorcycle museum. The roads are fantastic and many, many to choose from.

Enjoy & ride safe!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts