Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have fitted an aftermarket set of hard bags to my 2016 darkhorse, electric locks and wiring all included and connected, also have the 2 button FOB.
Problem is they won't lock with the FOB, don't have the switch on the tank as I'm told its not necessary. How do i get the FOB locking to work? Does it require a VCM program activation at the dealer or is it something else?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chieftain (Tanto) Steel Gray
299 Posts
I just installed the locks and associated wiring harnesses. Locks work great. Did the fob come with the bike?Does it arm the bike when lock button is pushed twice?

·
Rider
815 Posts
On mine, the two-pin plug on the right bag is power for the RH bag. On the left side, I had to hack the wires solder in one of the two-pin plugs they provided. Works both bags now-except one locks, while the other unlocks. I figure I can just reverse the soldered wires.
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed the locks and associated wiring harnesses. Locks work great. Did the fob come with the bike?Does it arm the bike when lock button is pushed twice?
Yes the FOB belongs to the bike and it does arm the bike on 2nd push
On mine, the two-pin plug on the right bag is power for the RH bag. On the left side, I had to hack the wires solder in one of the two-pin plugs they provided. Works both bags now-except one locks, while the other unlocks. I figure I can just reverse the soldered wires.
hope this helps
I have a 2 pin on the left side and 4 pin on the right, blue and green wires connected on both sides, I understand the brown and black are extra for other things so they aren't part of the locking system.

·
Rider
815 Posts
I have saddlebag audio too though, so it may have precluded me from using the two pin on the left
I'm not sure now. lol. Many owners have done this so there are tons of threads on this if you search. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. Whatcha workin with?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks same as mine but I didn't use the extra white plugs, have read mist if the forum posts and I think because mine is a 2016 model and was never meant to have hard bags it could be a VCM flash to get it talking to the FOB

·
Rider
815 Posts
Im a 16' as well. That's why I care. Kidding.
Since it doesn't work, try the white one?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After double checking the wiring I now have the FOB able to lock the bags but it will not unlock them, very strange....

·
Rider
815 Posts
Like I said above pics might help
Mine may have come with slightly diff connections?

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chieftain (Tanto) Steel Gray
299 Posts
Here are pictures of mine. Recently installed. They both work. Left side in first picture, right in second and last.
20200531_115940.jpg
20200531_120006.jpg
20200531_120013.jpg

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
Just a wild thought ... you say that you have a two-button fob - was it purchased directly from the dealer or could it be an original fob with a new two-button case? The reason is that the 'no-button' fobs supplied with early bikes without bags had a different circuit board from the 'two-button' fobs. For some strange reason, the circuit board on 'no-button' fobs has a switch for the lock button but the switch for the unlock button is missing/uninstalled.

You might open your fob and look at the circuit board and verify there are two switches. Or, a second way to verify that the unlock button is functioning is to look at the tiny LED light on the fob and see if it lights up when each of the two buttons are pushed. The LED will light if the fob is transmitting a signal to the bike.

If you have a voltmeter and feel comfortable with taking voltage measurements, you could monitor the voltage at the plug on the different wires and see if a voltage pulse is present when you push the buttons - that would verify if the problem is with the bike (or fob) or if the problem is with the bags/locks.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are correct, my FIB is the original no button type, I swapped the insides into a 2 button case , opened it up again to check and is no switch behind the unlock button so that explains everything. I'm not that bothered about the unlock feature but will maybe see if I can pick up a tank switch cheap somewhere, they are $235 to buy from Indian in Aus, just a but of plastic really....

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
You are correct, my FIB is the original no button type, I swapped the insides into a 2 button case , opened it up again to check and is no switch behind the unlock button so that explains everything. I'm not that bothered about the unlock feature but will maybe see if I can pick up a tank switch cheap somewhere, they are $235 to buy from Indian in Aus, just a but of plastic really....
Glad to hear that was the issue ... might have taken a while to figure that one out! :)
Just be sure you don't connect the wiring and accidentally hit the lock button while you're out riding somewhere without a key.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts