Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Chieftain will not start, bike's computer does not recodnize fob. Menu appears on screen, security key (red) stays on, the shuts off in 10 seconds. I can't even use my master for number to over ride the security key. Help

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Put fob some where, more than ten feet away, then try security code, follow directions in book exactly, as it can be finicky.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It can be one of two problems...battery in the fob or the relay located in the fuse box...left hand side. I don't know which relay it is, but my service manager told me that sometimes the relay can be briefly removed...reinstalled and the problem is solved. I actually got on the forum just now to ask if any of our more learned owners knew which relay is the culprit. Liam

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Key fob code on the 15s is under left panel by fuses, and on the top of the electronic control box. The fob is mated to your computer at the dealer with a program flash, so you can buy a new fob and have it flashed to the computer, I was told, you cannot order a replacement fob already flashed to your bike as a security measure so the code on the bike is not relevant at this time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine just stopped working yesterday. Changed the battery and still nothing. I'll pull the relay and reinstall to see if there is any change.

:(

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
It'd sure be nice to have an old fashioned metal key to start these monsters as a back up.
I agree, the keyless start is nice until you start having problems with it. At least there is the personal pin to start the bike if there is a problem

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same problem on a Sunday evening 800 miles from home, I ended up having to get dealer order me a new FOB and mate to computer, use ur security code until new fob arrives, and warranty covered the replacement

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard that sometimes after replacing the fob battery it has to be remated to the bike. Might have to take to the dealer.
Mine didn't when I replaced it, it was weak when I bought the Bike, they had a problem with it at dealer,I changed the battery in FOB after a week of having the bike home. Works Great now

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
We'll I have joined the fob conversation. I was 2 hours from home and it would not start. The fob light went red but would not open bags or be recognized ..... Thank god I remembered the master number....it also reminds me why I should bring key to get into bags.... I spent two hours when I got bike before I read blog here that our books are wrong on how to put in personal pin.... When I got home I put in new battery and same thing. Tested old batter and it was full charge. The bike is a couple months old with 2600 miles. I was told dealer can check program during their regular service hours. I am only 30 miles away but if you are hours away......I hope this isn't a weak point especially if the code doesn't work....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Nice idea I will do that........oh sh.. I left my iPhone in locked bag now where did I hide that real key for the bags...............maybe we will have on star next to solve this problem we never thought we would have....by the way on my 250 mile ride today a red slingshot went by so they are getting out to customers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mine lost connection to the bike and i had to use my pin to get it started. Short trip to the dealer to have them re-synced and no problems since. Is a pain tho', have to take it in just to have the fob reset.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I wonder what they will find is doing this. At least I got good experience using my bike code and personal ID. Just feel bad for folks far from dealerships.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
That is the issue with only their computers being able to reprogram. I hope the code worked. It sounds like pretty good service if they picked it up. Hopefully it was time for some other service.....they may need to have the ecu be wifi for remote reprograming ..... As long as n. Korea can't hack it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts