Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 vintage makes a fluting/whistling sound when cold mostly goes away when warmed up and cruising. Anyone have this or had to deal with it? Just wondering if it needs some exhaust tightened or sucking air somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
4,945 Posts
The noise is from the engine? I know some have reported whirling noise but that was from the drive belt.

·
Founding member
954 Posts
I notice the same thing. Probably has something to do with rich air/gas mixture from fuel injection. If not doing it all the time. I would not worry about it. Cold weather in Wisconsin already. Only in 50s today low 40s at night. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is the belt, I'm almost sure. Get some water with just a little dish soap in it. Use the soapy water and a soft brush, like a dish washing brush, and lightly scrub the whole belt (the teeth side). The manual says to then rinse the belt but I forgot that step and it didn't seem to hurt. Let it dry overnight before riding, or you could dry it thoroughly with a towel.

Mine was squeaking loudly and I took it to the shop and asked them to clean the belt to stop the squeaking. They said it was an alignment problem so they adjusted the belt alignment. It still squeaked. I'm 2 hours from them so I went ahead and performed the cleaning procedure above. The noise is completely gone now.

The manual says to clean at every tire change which is about 10,000 miles. Mine starts squeaking after 2,000-3,000 miles. So I'll insist the shop clean the belt when I have service and I'll have to do it myself in between services too. I'm in Arizona so maybe that accounts for why I need to do it so often.

From the manual: said:
Cleaning the drive belt will maximize belt and sprocket life and minimize drive line noise. Clean the belt at every tire change. Clean the belt more often if riding in dirty, dusty or high debris environments.
1. Mix a few drops of mild dish soap with a cup of warm water.
2. Use a soft nylon brush to clean the belt and sprocket teeth with the soapy water. Clean well in corner areas where road debris and belt dust can collect.
3. Rinse the belt with clear water, then dry thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I too was certain I had an exhaust leak, not belt, as it was up close to the header, and sounded like an exhaust leak, not a squeal or squeak. It was kinda a tin like air in a pipe hollow puffing sound. I told them at the 500 mi check, they said they found nothing, but the bike was warm from me riding it there. They tightened the header clamp just in case, guess what, no more noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts