Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking ahead here, what is the take on Floorboards vs Foot-pegs, is it just personal preference? is one more for long-distance? looking for the best ones for a Scout Bobber, summer riding, out for the day with plenty of stops, that sort of thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Personal preference I think, although when I first put boards on my Vstar, I didn't like them, but once I got used to them, I learned to love em. I just put them on my 2020 Scout and paid dealer pricing for Indian boards, so that tells you how much I like them. :cool:

Reactions: Kiwibloke

·
German Rider
1,513 Posts
Personal taste, i would say, but a heel shifter works way better with floor boards - IN MY OPINION !
so as a result, for me floor boards with a heel shifter are way mor comfortable.

Cu,
Sven

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,826 Posts
I've been spoiled for floorboards ever since 2002 when I got a used 2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600. I would only go back to pegs if it were more of a dual purpose/ADV type of bike where you'd be standing on the pegs part of the time. Cruiser/Bagger type motorcycles would need to have floorboards to suit me. I had them installed on my 2019 Scout along with the extended reach foot control kit.

·
Rider
879 Posts
I like Pegs ... even rear sets, for "Spirited" riding... for everyday, scootin around the Countryside... Gimme Boards.
Such a natural riding position for me...

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Floor boards hands down. When I went from Scout to Springfield, my feet were greatly appreciated of it. Especially after a long day at work.

·
Rider
1,060 Posts
I myself love the Boards with the heel shift.
This Chieftain Dark Horse is my first one with boards.
On my Victory Hammer we were running the extended custom forward controls and they were really nice, but true comfort is provided to me on the boards hands down.
I also wear a 12 swat boot and its a very large boot and we have so much room to shuffle the feet around.
Its truely a personal feel preference but I for one will stay with the boards.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Def a personal preference. And for me that preference depends on the bike and what I’m using it for.
Big cruiser like my vintage, I like the floorboards. Gives more options to move feet/legs around on long rides. But some other big cruisers have the wrong positioning between seat and controls for floorboards to work for me. Smaller cruiser like my Shadow, I prefer the pegs. Not usually gonna take long enough rides to want the floorboards for it, especially now that I have the Indian. Plus the corners of my pegs on it are ground down from corners, floorboards would be too much scraping. Also have an fz1 and doubt there even is a floorboard option for it being more of a sport bike, that would just be a silly setup for sure.
My preference for a scout would likely be towards pegs based on what I would use it for and the seating/control positions on it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
On a 2017 Scout 60 I used to have, I really like the Indian brand of floorboards. On my Springfield, I went one step further for the wife, I gave her both, Springfield comes with floorboards, I make brackets that allow highway pegs to be installed for the passenger. Wife likes the options it gives her on a long haul.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I liked pegs with forward controls, until I bought my Heritage Softail that had boards. Now I like boards, as my last three bikes had them. I do like the longer Indian boards or the aftermarket ones that give you more room to move your feet around.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My chieftain is the 1st bike that's had boards. Sooo nice to be able to shift position even if it's a minor amount. Right now I don't feel the need for highway pegs...

·
Senior member / rider
1,207 Posts
I used to be pegs only, and nothing forward. As age has grabbed me by the neck, I have learned that there is something to be said for first forward pegs, and now floorboards.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,826 Posts
That aging thing has had drastic effects on me. Standards to cruisers then foot pegs to floorboards and also windshields. Bigger and bigger bikes until I maxed out with a Rocket III Touring before easing back to a Vic Cross Country then an Indian Chieftain. Then aging got downright cruel and robbed my strength in my lower back & legs with two bad knees. Ultimately age won and I had to downsize to my Scout but I'm still happy to be riding on two wheels for a few more years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts