Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really confused about the clearance of my floorboard mounts and what the angle of (safe) lean would be. It's an '03 Chief Roadmaster with stock suspension. I consider it an easy 9.5 out of 10. But the other day I was detailing the bottom of it and noticed something that really confused me. I assume they are cast aluminum by the scrape marks bare metal appearance. But here is my concern:. I noticed that both brackets are substantially worn from scraping the road at an angle as though it slid down the road on it's side for a half a mile! The left side is not as bad but both sides have quite a bit of metal shaved of the bracket, again, at an angle I just can't see as feasible. Are these bikes capable of leaning into a corner sharp enough to cause that sort of floorboard bracket scraping without the bike literally going down?! I've checked for other damage that would be indicative of an accident. Lower bottom corners of factory crashbar are scratch free, and there is only a slightest bit of bottom scraping on the bottom of the right floorboard. I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb looking for any signs of damage or repairs... or rebuild. Title is normal with no designations of "rebuildable" or " salvage" notations. So back to my basic question; can these bikes be leaned severely enough into a corner as to grind this much metal of the bottom of the floorboard mounts? Thx,. Gil

·
Registered
268 Posts
As a matter of fact, yes. I have a Spirit that makes contact with the road on left curves and my boot heel will sometimes drag the road on the right curves - and I do not have floorboards. Have you ever watched Motorcycle cop rodeo videos? Those guys drag their floorboards on every turn. I have a 2000 Chief that has been lowered about 1" that has floorboards - I literally creep around the curves here in the Appalachian mountains - its a beast on the interstate but when you have to go to the lean limit, to me that's unnerving. What you are seeing is not unusual.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2001 Chief. The scraping noise will scare a passenger, and even takes some getting used to for the one steering the ship. Yes, scraping will happen. Learn that angle to keep from planting it, and keep your eyes scanning for potholes or uneven pavement that will plant it for you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 2001 Chief. The scraping noise will scare a passenger, and even takes some getting used to for the one steering the ship. Yes, scraping will happen. Learn that angle to keep from planting it, and keep your eyes scanning for potholes or uneven pavement that will plant it for you.
I totally agree! That scraping sound is a bit unnerving but mostly harmless. The trick is to avoid getting too deep into the curve & lean that you dig in - a bad scene, man. This is possibly the most famous Dragon crash - the guy got too deep into the curve and planted it.... now, its out there for the whole world to see.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yup. Same as above. The boards will hit before the traction on the tires gives way. I've even ground down the pegs on my Centennial Scout without going down. The 99 Chiefs were the lowest and Indian moved the floorboards and mounts up on the 01s and after. Some of the later 00 Chiefs had their boards moved up to improve cornering without grinding. I've gone through three sets of boards on my 99 Chief where I've ground down the trailing edges. Indian put out a repositioning kit for the 99/00 bikes but I don't recall one for the 03s.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,070 Posts
With my 2000 Chief, I agree with everyone else. Even my V&H long shots were flat on the bottom. You simply get used to it, with a little time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts