Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have switched to forward floor boards kit on their chief, did you have any issues bleeding the rear brake? I plan on following the service manual but would like to hear some real world experience/advice. Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, thought I would update this thread. Got my floorboard kit installed. Clutch side is easy peasy. After reading about the travails our brothers on the scout section had with difficulty bleeding brakes I was a little nervous.

The challenge comes about because one has to switch out the master cylinder. So naturally air will get introduced into the system. So I started poking around and came across a great tip on the Honda forums. Basically, before you connect the brake line and banjo bolt to the master cylinder, after mounting the bracket, fill the master cylinder while holding a finger tightly against the outlet. Pump the pedal slowly while moving your finger ever so slightly to release air (little burps of air will come out). After a couple of small pumps, only brake fluid will be dripping out.

At this point, grab your banjo bolt, not forgetting the new copper washers, and thread it in after quickly removing your finger from the outlet. Torque to spec.

For bleeding, I bought a speed bleeder and tubing/receptacle. Makes bleeding a one person job. Hook up the tubing to the bleeder and to the receptacle, crack open the bleeder screw 1/4 turn, and steadily pump the pedal while making sure to keep the master cylinder topped off. Watch for bubbles of air to come through the clear tubing. I went through a whole bottle of dot 4 just to be safe.

Close the bleeder screw, remove tubing/receptacle, install gasket and top on the master cylinder, and you are done. Verify firm brake pedal.

That's it. Hope this helps any other dyi types.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts