Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else ever get a sensation of floating when they are riding on their Indian? I don't have a lot of experience with other bikes, so this may be just me getting used to things still. Just curious if anyone else experience this sensation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at your exhaust and you will see glitter coming out the tail pipe. LOL
The Indian does have a smooth ride, Some would say it's too soft. I liked it. Enjoy the ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if ' floating ' is what I would use to describe it but it is definitely not as ' raw ' as riding my Kingpin was.
My Pin was smooth on the highway at 60-65 mph but after that it had more vibrations, of course I had a 5 speed so that will change cruising rpm which will affect vibrations.
No complaints at all but definitely not as ' refined ' as my Indian is.

Of course before the flaming starts the CC and CCT are a heavier motorcycle than my 8-Ball with a 6 speed so my comparison should be taken for what it's worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I am not just imagining things :) I am enjoying every mile I've put on it so far.
My last bike (Suzuki GS1100) was 20+ years ago, and only had it for a short period of time (the story is longer than what I actually rode of it)... Other than that, I rode dirt bikes as a kid, and took a class this summer as I knew I was in the market for something (didn't know about Indians then). I am wanting to go back and take an advanced class as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. Till then, I am just puttering around town and a bit on the highway to get used to riding this awesome machine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to think that it's the spirit of Geronimo that makes the bike so smooth. Also, I have a gremlin bell. No, I'm not too superstitious!?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's just Tinkerbell leading the way. In all seriousness the Indian is a lot smoother especially at high speeds than my Cross Country was. I think that's what you are experiencing, it's not a bad feeling just takes some getting used to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the articles I read stated the bike needed a bit more suspension dampening. And the front and the rear dampening are different and very noticeable....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
18515 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else ever get a sensation of floating when they are riding on their Indian? I don't have a lot of experience with other bikes, so this may be just me getting used to things still. Just curious if anyone else experience this sensation.
Have you checked the pre-load on the rear suspension. Too soft can be reflected in a floating sensation. See the manual for the procedure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
18725 said:
Have you checked the pre-load on the rear suspension. Too soft can be reflected in a floating sensation. See the manual for the procedure.
Thats a good idea. I will get that checked/adjusted when I bring it in for the 500 mile service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
18515 said:
Thats a good idea. I will get that checked/adjusted when I bring it in for the 500 mile service.
It's air adjustable, you need to be able to set it yourself for the intended load you're carrying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1606 said:
It's air adjustable, you need to be able to set it yourself for the intended load you're carrying.
I believe that the only model with an air adjustable shock is the Chieftain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They do float down the road very nicely. Feels kinda like a big Lincoln going down the roads! LOVE IT! If you happen to find the limits of the suspension on yours, (I'm 170lbs, the wife is right about 100) you'll need to adjust the preload a little tighter. Otherwise, just enjoy it!
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1606 said:
The air adjustable rear suspension is only available on the Chieftain not on the classic or vintage models. On The classic and the vintage models the pre-load on the shock is adjusted by rotating the collar below the spring like on a 4-wheeler or dirt bike and if I'm not mistaken they are equipped with Fox racing shocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
8707 said:
The air adjustable rear suspension is only available on the Chieftain not on the classic or vintage models. On The classic and the vintage models the pre-load on the shock is adjusted by rotating the collar below the spring like on a 4-wheeler or dirt bike and if I'm not mistaken they are equipped with Fox racing shocks.
You are correct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts