Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts/advice on flip windshields. Im considering getting one. I'm favoring the Klock Werks 12" flip; however, I'm not sere if that's as good or better than the one put out by Indian. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have the Indian product on my bike. My understanding it is the same as the Klock Werks, and possibly manufactured under license by Indian. I got it because I really like the look of it, and had never ridden with it before. I usually keep the windshield in the lowest position and it does a good job of deflecting most of the wind—I usually ride with a half helmet. On the highway, at 70-80 mph, I fully extend the windshield. I get a little buffeting on the very top of my helmet—not a lot but definitely there. I am 5’8”. I think a taller rider might not enjoy it so much.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I believe Indian flip windshields are made by Klock Werks.

I have a 16" Freedom Shield and love it. Completely down, I can see over it just fine with wind hitting my face. On the highway, I raise it 1" or so and I'm still looking over it but the wind is going over my head with no buffet. If I'm riding with a +1, I can raise it all the way and I'm looking through it with no light distortion and the wind is going over both of our heads with no buffet. If it's raining and I have on my full face helmet, I lower the shield all the day and the wind hits right on the visor and clears the rain. It's a perfect setup for me.

My buddy has a 12" Klock Werks and all the way up, his is still lower than mine all the way down. Just depends on what you're looking for as far as looks and performance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 16" Freedom Shield. It's also a little wider than stock. I raise it a bit at highway speeds but I can still see over it. Lighter weight bugs are lifted up and over. Heavier ones will still hit you. I lower it at slower speeds. The flip part has some distortion but it's not bad. The best feature is the test ride. As long as you leave the protective cover on it, you can send it back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 16" Freedom Shield. It's also a little wider than stock. I raise it a bit at highway speeds but I can still see over it. Lighter weight bugs are lifted up and over. Heavier ones will still hit you. I lower it at slower speeds. The flip part has some distortion but it's not bad. The best feature is the test ride. As long as you leave the protective cover on it, you can send it back if you don't like it.
Not only is it a really great shield, but it'd be hard to find someone who works with you as well as John does. I highly recommend Freedom Shield.

·
Registered
525 Posts
When it rains, I want to look over the windshield instead of through it. I bought a flip and my options were 1" shorter, the same height or 1" taller. I ordered one that was 1" shorter. My thought was that the flip would direct the rain at least 1" higher before it hit me in the face, so the shorter shield would compensate. I haven't had a chance to ride in rain yet to find out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So don't get me wrong: I wonder if this is a solution in need of a problem.

I really like the windscreen on my 2017 RM. It deflects well and I haven't had problems with bugs in my teeth (so far). I don't dispute the Klock Werks might improve a bit on the original, but is it really worth a 200-dollar replacement?

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster
63 Posts
I tried the Klock Werks 10" windshield. I think it looks great, but I'm a short rider, 5'6. All the way down the windshield worked great for me, but if I raised it 1" or more I'd get buffeting that would shake my glasses like crazy. I think it could be from the ends of the windshield that stick out and when raised causes turbulence that hits me right in the face. Taller riders may not experience this. I switched to a Freedom Shield and it made a world of difference. No more buffeting at any height. I'm very happy with the Freedom Shield. I can see over it or raise it to look through without distortion.

So if anyone wants to buy a 10" Klock Werks light tint windshield I have one barely used.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the 12" Klockwerks flip on my Roadmaster. I liked the look when completely down and I got just enough wind in my face. Did not the look when raised, but with the wife on the back that's how we rode. I hated it in the rain. Seemed like more rain hit me in the face with the flip than the stock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have the large Klockwerks and really like it. It does a great job at a lower level than the stock windshield did. I don't ride in the rain, so cannot comment there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I went with the Long Ride Shields Battleaxe because it's a bit wider. Been very happy with it for rain, snow, and wind deflection.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Another vote for Freedom. I installed the 16" light tint on my RM and love it. I look over it when down and through it when all the way up. Excellent quality and very easy to install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the Indian Klock Works for about 4000 miles, there was buffeting that I didn't like. I have been riding with a Freedom 16 inch dark for almost 2000 miles. I really like it and will not take it off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have really enjoyed my stock windshield. However I am 6' tall, and at hwy speed I have it lifted all the way. Unfortunately I have recently added an air hawk to my seat due to its unbearable pain after 150 miles or so. Now with the air hawk my head is in the turbulence zone with the windshield all the way up. With that situation what are my best options. Also I worry about the turbulence for my wife behind me. Would a taller straight shield be better or would a flip give us more clearance?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I have really enjoyed my stock windshield. However I am 6' tall, and at hwy speed I have it lifted all the way. Unfortunately I have recently added an air hawk to my seat due to its unbearable pain after 150 miles or so. Now with the air hawk my head is in the turbulence zone with the windshield all the way up. With that situation what are my best options. Also I worry about the turbulence for my wife behind me. Would a taller straight shield be better or would a flip give us more clearance?
Others may have advice on your question, but you might consider calling the folks at Freedom and see what they have to say. As another poster mentioned, they let you install their windshield and use it to see how it suits you. If for any reason you don't like it, it can be returned. The only caveat is that you must leave the protective film on to do this. My guess is that for you a 'flip' windshield at your current height would work since the whole idea of the recurve is to divert air flow more than a standard of the same height. BTW - Nice RM!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any thoughts/advice on flip windshields. Im considering getting one. I'm favoring the Klock Werks 12" flip; however, I'm not sere if that's as good or better than the one put out by Indian. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a Klock flip. I ordered a Indian tinted but it had very little tint I like the klock

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have the Indian branded flip windshield on my RM. Yes, it was well worth the cost, I cannot believe how much it kicks the wind up and over when fully down. I can just about wear a baseball cap at highway speeds. When I put the windshield all the way up, I get a bug, or two hitting the top of my helmet, but that's about it. Makes a huge difference in colder weather riding, as well.

Reactions: MilwDave and RedRM

·
Bronze member
1,509 Posts
I had the Indian version (they are made by KW) and it worked OK. I am 6'1" and it had to be almost all the way up to provide the right level of protection for me. I got the 14" LRS Battle Axe an it's perfect for me. The LRS isn't the same thickness as the KW and is more prone to nicks and scratches, but at the price, it's almost like getting a two for one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the Indian version (they are made by KW) and it worked OK. I am 6'1" and it had to be almost all the way up to provide the right level of protection for me. I got the 14" LRS Battle Axe an it's perfect for me. The LRS isn't the same thickness as the KW and is more prone to nicks and scratches, but at the price, it's almost like getting a two for one.
I am 6' and with my air hawk it raises me up a little. My stock windshield is maxed out and I notice a little turbulence at the top of my helmet. That I didn't notice without the air hawk. So that 1 inch maybe makes a difference. So I don't know if the flip out windshield of the same height will fix the problem or if a taller windshield will be required. A buddy of mine bought a flip out and put his stock glass back on after being disappointed with it. As it created so much turbulence for his passenger that her helmet shook so much that it blured her vision.

·
Bronze member
1,951 Posts
Most of the turbulence people experience is a result of air coming up from under the fairing or windscreen.
Lowers will solve that issue if it is unbearable. The windscreen has little effect other than forcing air up over your head. The turbulence comes from below. It gets worse once the windscreen creates a low pressure zone behind it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts