Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably a year away from buying a Chief, but am already obsessing on how I want it to look. The bikes are quite gorgeous in form alone, but stand up well to flashy paint, leather colors, fringe, and custom badges everywhere.

I'm attracted to the flashy two tone custom paint jobs but also the more subtle looks obtained with black leather and black walls. I don't think I am a fringe guy and at least in the pictures I've seen, the strong tan (almost orange) leather color doesn't go that well with a wide range of colors.

I've yet to see one for real. So what do you like? Flashy, or subtle?

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I'm with you on "flash". I bought a Red Chief and had it two toned with Ivory. Not a big fan of the tan leather or the fringe. I'll probably do blackwall tires when they need replacing.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Until I saw then rode a RM, I was never a frilly fringe guy. Mine is ordered with ALL the fringe and fish tail exhaust. I actually dream about this.

I'm wondering if I'm on the edge of infatuation with this bike.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
I think infatuation is normal with these bikes.
I've owned mine for less than 6 months and I actually miss it when I am at work offshore.

As far as flash, I tend to like the subtle touches. I got the blue Chieftain because not only is the color gorgeous, but I find it gets a double take from gawkers. At first it doesn't stand out, but as they turn away, their brain says, "Whoa, go back to that!". The red and the black seem to command instant ogling. I like a few chrome goodies, but the finge doesn't do it for me. I think it looks cool on other bikes, but it's a bit too flashy for my tastes.
I saw an older Indian with the teardrop headlight, lots of fringe, chrome and the willow and ivory paint and was dumbstruck with awe. It was absolutely gorgeous. However, I didn't want it for me.

·
Early Joiner
177 Posts
I bought a black Classic and added all the chrome goodies that I could. I like this combination obviously and it doesn't seem flashy, just good looking. Black seat does it for me, no fringes at all.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have added only the necessary things to my Chieftain. Drivers and passengers backrests, highway pegs, and the all important cup holder. Other than those....my black beauty is a plain Jane!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't really see the two-tones as "flashy" but I guess they're more so than the solids. I figure I'm about 16 months out from buying my Vintage, and since I've been riding a red/black bike for 5 years now, it's time for a change - That willow green/ivory combo has really caught my eye. I won't be going in for all the fringe - not my style - and I'll most likely eliminate any fringe that comes stock. It will also be set up solo most of the time, and a chrome seat rail is in order. Other than that, I'll probably keep it stock ... at least until I start feeling those inevitable urges to add stuff later on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not a fringe guy but I havn't taken it off it has kind of growen on me. Had to have the fish tails installed before I would take it home. I have always liked black so I did a full 180 on this one.
motorcycles 014.JPG

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of all the paint schemes, the willow / green and the black are the two I think the tan leather goes best with.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Those Fish Tail exhaust tips are almost as good as Jennifer Lopez rear end.

Reactions: Big Daddy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts