Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight warning light is flashing, which I would have assumed simply;y meant that one of the filaments in the main headlight bulb is bad.

However, I still have low and high beams.

Anything else it might be or does Indain somehow adjust the voltages to convert the high beam to low beam so we are not stuck with no headlight?

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
I don't think so. I would venture to guess you will loose low or high real soon. Or your connector just needs pushed back in tight. It must be sensing a voltage drop or spike or something to that affect...

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Looking at your avatar's join date I'm guessing your bike is 2014 or 2015. Some of the early bikes had a headlight problem that required a dealer recall or reflash. It might be worth checking up the details of that. You might find more with a forum search.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just took mine in for the same problem. 2015 Vintage.
It happened twice. Once during daylight hours, and once about a week later just as the sun was going down and I was riding two up. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere after dark.

The tech looked at it and was stumped. He called Polaris. They really didn't have an answer either. They could see that the code had flashed that my headlight had gone out a few times, but it was working.

On a hunch, they took out my Sylvania bulb and put an OEM back in.

The tech advised me to drive without my driving lights on for a while. IF the headlight goes out, the driving lights are supposed to automatically turn on. That would cue me that it happened in the day time if I didn't see the flashing blue on my speedo. Well, I've been riding for a few weeks now. My headlight isn't as bright because of the new lamp, but so far it hasn't happened again.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Yep had that on my 2018 all the time. Sometimes my main light would be on then would go off. Half the time I started up my headlight wouldn't turn on. Was just a piece of junk headlight that came with the bike. Didn't even last a whole season. I just went straight to LED's after that garbage and never saw the error again.

·
Founding member
736 Posts
The headlight warning light is flashing, which I would have assumed simply;y meant that one of the filaments in the main headlight bulb is bad.

However, I still have low and high beams.

Anything else it might be or does Indain somehow adjust the voltages to convert the high beam to low beam so we are not stuck with no headlight?
Skip
My 2014 chieftain started this right after I took my bike in for the recall for the gear shift indicator. They also re-flashed the ECM for the forward lighting. I have a Case# with Polaris about this since 6/15 but have not heard back yet. I don't know if this Covid is making them work from home. My dealer is stumped. I replaced the headlight bulb but no difference. Also when changing from hi to lo beam my driving lights flicker and shouldn't. I also started post about this:
Tom

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the responses, but just to clarify: My headlight does not go out; it is just the warning light that flashes.

As well, thanks Dr. Shifty for the recall reminder. I had that done (interestingly, if not =coincidentally, just a week before this warning light started to flash).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A. Early indication of lighting circuit failure
B. The headlight recall
C. Voltage drop from loose connection
D. Wrong bulb
E. None of the above.

As it turns out, it is E, none of the above. The filament for the low beam was burned out. Apparently in one of the newer VCM flashes, they have found a way to lower the voltage going to the headlight when it detects the low beam has gone out -- s safety measure to make sure you still have a regular low beam headlight. Props to Indian for that one.

·
Founding member
736 Posts
Not the case with mine. I replaced the bulb thinking the same that it was bad. Still have the same issue. Funny how this happened after the ecm update.

·
Rider
1,009 Posts
Had my recalls done this past Wed. Everything ckd ok, but got the flashing headlight. Pulled the bulb an found a loose pin on the bulb. Changed bulb an it cleared the fault.

·
Bronze member
1,591 Posts
I just had the recall done on my 2014 Vintage and it's not a reflash of the ecm or vcu. They remove the tank and do a visual inspection of the harness connection from the main to the front harness and check for corrosion. That particular recall was based on corrosion in the connection causing the entire front lighting to go dark. Mine was fine and they cleaned it and re-connected with dielectric grease. Had the gear selector recall done at the same time and haven't had any other issues.

Reactions: greywolf157

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had the recall done on my 2014 Vintage and it's not a reflash of the ecm or vcu. They remove the tank and do a visual inspection of the harness connection from the main to the front harness and check for corrosion. That particular recall was based on corrosion in the connection causing the entire front lighting to go dark. Mine was fine and they cleaned it and re-connected with dielectric grease. Had the gear selector recall done at the same time and haven't had any other issues.
If that's the case, I suspect some of these incidents are related to them jostling the nacelle and causing a fault on the bulb. My bulb failure was right after the recall.

·
Founding member
2,205 Posts
A. Early indication of lighting circuit failure
B. The headlight recall
C. Voltage drop from loose connection
D. Wrong bulb
E. None of the above.

As it turns out, it is E, none of the above. The filament for the low beam was burned out. Apparently in one of the newer VCM flashes, they have found a way to lower the voltage going to the headlight when it detects the low beam has gone out -- s safety measure to make sure you still have a regular low beam headlight. Props to Indian for that one.
You are correct that our bikes will take "corrective action" to still give us a quasi-low beam by using the high beam at a lower voltage; however, I believe this has been in place since the bikes were first released ... I had the low-beam fail in the first few months of owning my '14 (noted by the flashing icon) but still had both high/low beams. Dealer mentioned this feature and replaced the bulb at no cost.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just had my gear indicator recall done this past Saturday and today I noticed the flashing headlight notification. I have custom dynamics headlights and driving lights on mine. Currently I have no high beams only low. I’ll have to check tonight on my connections to see if they are loose. Hopefully that will be the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
1,167 Posts
Not the case with mine. I replaced the bulb thinking the same that it was bad. Still have the same issue. Funny how this happened after the ecm update.
@tc cruiser I had a very similar incident with mine about a year or so ago. As it turned out my Headlight connector coming from the harness was starting to short itself out. It took a couple days to figure out because the damage wasn't obvious until I saw the slight discoloration of the connector and really looked into it. The plastic at the "bottom" of the connector had burnt through, which was causing it to short out.... Probably not your issue, but what you're describing sounds very similar to my issue, so I just thought I'd throw my experience out there for you to check. As it was explained to me, the reason it happened in the first place is I run those High Output H4 bulbs and they run hotter than normal lights. Anyway, good luck, hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just experienced the same thing on my 2016 Chief Vintage. The blue high beam indicator would flash. I didn't get any check engine soon light but I did get a check engine message while scrolling through the message display. I thought I would try just replacing the bulb. Which I did and the issue seems to be resolved.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I finally was able to take the headlight out and take a look at my connections. Pulled the headlight wires apart and looked for corrosion but found none. So I added a little dielectric grease to the connectors and put it back together. Started her up and flashing high beam is gone. I can now switch from high to low beam which I wasn’t able to do before. But now I have a different issue. When I first turn on the bike and have the passing lights on, looking at front of bike the right will turn on first then the left will turn on. They no longer turn on simultaneously.
The day I dropped my bike off the get the recall done they were pulling out a nice trike. When the tech started it the passing lights turned on the same way mine currently does. I thought it was odd when I first noticed it. It bugs the hell out of me that it does this but I’m just happy I have high and low beams now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm going thru this now. I've got a 2014 Vintage, just came from dealer for the gear shift & headlight recalls.
I started losing the headlight. intermittent . I've done a lot of work on it over the winter that include cleaning up the ground connections so i was suprised when the headlight started to act up.

couple of hundred miles out of the dealer and no problems. Today I installed an LED bulb in the headlight, had it installed months back but removed it because of error codes & the light shutting off. Installed it and worked for about 3 minutes then one of the beams cut out so it appears the flash doesn't work.

What is new is that the high beam indicator light is flashing. I'm not sure if I want to leave it in or swap back the OE bulb.

A tip on changing the bulb from the back side, get a 4' dowl maybe 1/2" or 5/8". Shove it up and under the harness
right next to the bulb & push it up and away. I used the fringe from the brake lever to tie it up while I removed the bulb. 5 min job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Skip
My 2014 chieftain started this right after I took my bike in for the recall for the gear shift indicator. They also re-flashed the ECM for the forward lighting. I have a Case# with Polaris about this since 6/15 but have not heard back yet. I don't know if this Covid is making them work from home. My dealer is stumped. I replaced the headlight bulb but no difference. Also when changing from hi to lo beam my driving lights flicker and shouldn't. I also started post about this:
Tom
I also have a 14 that just got the recall for the headlight icon flashing & the gear shift problem. I asked the lady at the counter when I picked it up if they had done the flash for the headlight , the bill states they did a check of the harness / connectors. Really didn’t get a strait answer , when I told her the flash would allow me to use an LED headlight she didn’t agree.

Installed the LED bulb I bought some time ago and it worked for about 10 minutes. Then back to the flashing icon, and once while driving after an hour or so the headlight went out completly.

I did get the horn to beep once after squeezing the FOB , the red LED lit up. Will go out later to squeeze it twice to see if the alarm works. If it works I’m guessing they did some type of reflash .

Question : Does anyone have the flash job number ? Or a procedure code that would tell me exactly what the flash fixes or is suppose to do ?

Plan on my first road trip this week into the mountains and would like the bright white LED lighting.

thanks...

·
Bronze member
1,591 Posts
My understanding is the flash for the LEDs won't work on the 2014 - you have to replace the VCU to be able to run LEDs. Have a buddy with a 2014 that did just that to make the front end brighter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts