Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't really sure how to label this one so this is what I came up with. Last night before I left my buddies house I noticed that on the gauge cluster I had a battery symbol flashing and a small code called either f3 or e3 flashing next to the clock. The bike even honked a couple of times by itself. I thought maybe it was my key fob battery getting low because my gauge read 14.4v with the bike running and 12.5 turned off. We rode about 20 miles with it flashing the whole time to a party and the bike sat for a few hours.

When I left the party, I noticed that neither symbol was flashing. Has anyone else seen this before or know what is going on? Thanks for the help.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
A couple things will help you (and us) with diagnosis:
a) What model/year is your bike? The displays are slightly different depending on these.
b) Have you looked at your manual? Most of the symbol information (flashing/on) is presented in the manual.

The battery symbol is used to warn of either a low bike battery or key fob battery. Since the bike honked and the light was flashing, I will bet that it is the fob battery. However, you will get the same response if the fob/bike fail to communicate due to interference from metallic objects (other keys, phone, pocketknife) near the fob when the bike is first started. Easy cheap action if it repeats? Replace the fob battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was suspecting the fob battery but I thought it was a little too soon for it to be bad because the bike is a '16 vintage with 3,700 miles on it. I'll check my manual but the only thing that was flashing was the fault indicator not the headlights or anything else. They should have been communicating because I wasn't around or doing anything different than I always have been doing when I was at his house.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Had my "14" Vintage 1 1/2 years before I replaced my keyfob battery and it was still working when I replaced it......:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Based on previous comments on this forum, the first week I had my new 2016 Chief Classic, I pulled the FOB battery. Sure enough, it was already showing signs of corrosion. I replaced it (in both FOB's) even before my bike indicated a low FOB battery. Luckily, I caught mine before it decided to start leaking (I noticed the factory installed battery was a "made in china" battery that didn't have the same high quality construction as the new batteries I installed). I'll probably just schedule an annual replacement of my FOB batteries to be on the safe side.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
Many of the batteries that came in the OEM fobs died early (some within a month after purchase). These were obviously from a bad lot of cheap batteries. Indian has released an info bulletin to the shop techs that recommends the fob batteries to be replaced every 1-2 years. I recommend owners practice using their PIN at least once a month in case problems occur with their fob. Then you can always drive home or to the nearest store and pick up a fresh replacement.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
Why let the batteries age in your saddlebag? Use the PIN to drive to a nearby store (or home if you're in town) and buy a fresh battery. If you're out on the road a lot, just carry the screwdriver.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a 2014. Mine flashed the battery symbol one. Then it didn't come back again after the next start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts