Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I got on the bike to go for a ride today and about 5 miles from house the battery symbol on the dash started flashing. I looked at dash and battery voltage was 11.3. I've never owned a bike with these bells and whistles before so I called my dealer. He says my battery could go dead and that I need to bring it in. Since I live 65 miles from dealer do I need to ride it in or trailer it in? Anyone else have this problem? 20015 RM. 3600 miles, of which I have put 600.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ride it in if you don't have to shut it off between your house and dealer.
Thanks, they are ordering parts for the TPMS and I will get them both checked at same time. Does it sound like a bad battery or something wrong with charging system?

·
Registered
132 Posts
My wife and I got on the bike to go for a ride today and about 5 miles from house the battery symbol on the dash started flashing. I looked at dash and battery voltage was 11.3. I've never owned a bike with these bells and whistles before so I called my dealer. He says my battery could go dead and that I need to bring it in. Since I live 65 miles from dealer do I need to ride it in or trailer it in? Anyone else have this problem? 20015 RM. 3600 miles, of which I have put 600.
I had the same thing happen, rode it to dealer hooked it up to computer and it was a low fob battery. They gave me a new battery and it stopped flashing. Lafayette Indian took care of it, they are an outstanding shop, with great employees.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
Sounds like your voltage regulator
I'd trailer it

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are only showing 11.3 volts while the engine is running, you will not make it 65 miles.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had a rental Roadmaster in January. Voltage regulator went and the battery warning showed on the dash. Bike will shut down below 10v as it cannot power the various equipment. So you will have to trailer the bike - the voltage will keep going down as you drive if the voltage regulator is gone.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Voltage running should be 14.4 approximately. If bike is showing 11 there is something wrong with the charging. These bikes have big electrical demands and will probably die along the way. Trailer it, unless you like tow bills or pushing.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I had that happen to me about 3 months ago. The battery flashed my entire ride home. I shut it off, then fired it back up and the flashing was gone. Never had it happen again. Must of been an anomaly.

my damn cell phone

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had that happen to me about 3 months ago. The battery flashed my entire ride home. I shut it off, then fired it back up and the flashing was gone. Never had it happen again. Must of been an anomaly.

my damn cell phone
I tried shutting down and restarting with same results, I will be trailering when I go to dealer, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Chieftain did that about a month ago. replaced the fob battery and went away. But, I still had a 14.2 volt reading. So looks like you have a different problem. good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check if battery cables are tight.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had the same thing 6 months ago, put a new battery in my key fob and it's good to go

·
Founding member
2,283 Posts
Their may be some confusion about the warning light(s). Here's what the manual says ...
Low Battery Light: This lamp illuminates when battery voltage is low. Turn non-essential accessories off to conserve power. Make sure the charging system is operating properly. See page 131. This lamp also illuminates with the security light and/or power switch when the key fob battery is low, and with the TPMS lamp when the TPMS sensor battery is low.

Security System Light: This indicator lamp illuminates while the security system is searching for the key fob signal and when the security system is locked. The lamp flashes if the key fob is not detected within range or if the fob is not programmed properly. It also illuminates with the low battery voltage indicator when the key fob battery is low.

Also, it is correct that when running the battery voltage should be ~ 14v and the fact that you're reading approximately 11v points to it being something other than just a fob battery.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I tried shutting down and restarting with same results, I will be trailering when I go to dealer, thanks for all the help.
Yes mine was still hitting 14.2v

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had similar problems with my '14 Classic. Turned out it was the voltage regulator, luckily was under warranty as replacement cost was $1800.00. Tech said if you keep riding it with low voltage like that the bike could catch on fire...

·
Registered
808 Posts
FOB battery is not anywhere near 11 volts to start with I don't think so I'd rule that out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts