Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day from OZ ( Australia ) guys

I'd really like to fit a LOUD Klaxon horn ( or some air horns ) to my 2013 Vintage Chief ..... but I'd like to find out :

A) Is this possible ( given the complexities of the Can-Bus wiring system )

and

B) Do I need some sort of "isolator" as well as a relay - or can I wire the relay straight TO the original horn wires ?!?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
G'day from OZ ( Australia ) guys I'd really like to fit a LOUD Klaxon horn ( or some air horns ) to my 2013 Vintage Chief ..... but I'd like to find out : A) Is this possible ( given the complexities of the Can-Bus wiring system )and B) Do I need some sort of "isolator" as well as a relay - or can I wire the relay straight TO the original horn wires ?!?

A sure if you draw directly from the battery
B You will need a relay to connect to the horn button wires and battery wires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A sure if you draw directly from the battery
B You will need a relay to connect to the horn button wires and battery wires.

G'day "T120R69"

And thanks for your thoughts ....... but ......

Yes - I fully understand "relays" / high current drain etc etc etc ........ ( and I've fitted many an airhorn system with high drain compressors on many other bikes before ) .....
But what I have been warned - is that the Indians' Can-Bus wiring system will spit the dummy if I don't somehow "isolate" the horn relay FROM the computer ( VCM ) .......
THAT'S what I'm worried about !

I'm told that the Can-Bus wants to "see a load" on each electrical item - blinkers, lights horn etc ..... and if it doesn't - then it will throw up a fault code

The dealer where I bought my Vintage Chief said that one of their customers had bought a new BMW bike ( which also has a Can-Bus system ) ..... and he fitted his old Harley horn TO the BMW because he loved the sound of it so much .....
They said : "The first time he hit the horn button - the bike SHUT DOWN / STOPPED !"
Obviously - IF the "load" from the old horn MATCHED the load ( current drain ) from the airhorn relay - then the Indians' on board computer would be none the wiser - and would just see the relay as the old / original horn ......

But I'm not good with this sort of stuff ........ hence why I'm asking in this forum ...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
All I can tell you is it worked for my air horn, never had any issues.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,878 Posts
I took a look at the diagram and was a little bit surprised to see that the horn circuit does include the computer. That just over-complicates crap.
However, if a replacement horn has a similar current draw, I think that you'll be okay.
I've been thinking about this myself.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not much current draw for the relay-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts