Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in other riders' experience with fitness trackers and riding. I wear a Fitbit Charge HR, and when I ride the vibrations of the bike must make the tracker think I'm doing an extreme amount of walking. It racks up steps like you wouldn't believe. I think one time on a short trip it thought I had walked about 250 miles (maybe not quite that much, but it was a lot).
I'm actually considering going to a different fitness tracker. I want one that does heart rate monitoring, as well as steps, workouts, and sleep monitoring. There ought to be one that isn't affected by riding a bike - am I wrong?

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
You are wrong. Skip the tracker and do aggressive exercise at least five days a week. Practice intelligent portion control. Your pants and shirt size should go down accordingly to the amount of exercising that you do. You'll probably feel better.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm interested in other riders' experience with fitness trackers and riding. I wear a Fitbit Charge HR, and when I ride the vibrations of the bike must make the tracker think I'm doing an extreme amount of walking. It racks up steps like you wouldn't believe. I think one time on a short trip it thought I had walked about 250 miles (maybe not quite that much, but it was a lot).
I'm actually considering going to a different fitness tracker. I want one that does heart rate monitoring, as well as steps, workouts, and sleep monitoring. There ought to be one that isn't affected by riding a bike - am I wrong?

Mine does the same thing. Gives me a reason to eat like a fat A$$ after my ride. Good job me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are wrong. Skip the tracker and do aggressive exercise at least five days a week. Practice intelligent portion control. Your pants and shirt size should go down accordingly to the amount of exercising that you do. You'll probably feel better.
Actually, I need to gain a couple of pounds. I've lost more weight than I need to. I use the tracker to help me maintain.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Actually, I need to gain a couple of pounds. I've lost more weight than I need to. I use the tracker to help me maintain.
Klyde I sincerely wish I could help you with your situation. I have exactly the opposite problem. Physiology is a funny thing. The healthiest living and most energetic, physically fit person that I have ever known, just succumbed to cancer. She inspired me to get off of my ass and in the gym on the times I wanted to sluff off. I'm still processing this. Part of me thinks to hell with it and chuck the workout and eating right way of life. I won't, but........

·
Bronze member
1,261 Posts
I have the fitbit Blaze and it records my rides as steps as well. I dont mind though I reach my goals for the day LOL Take the watch off while you ride is all I can say. It does do heart beat and sleep so I am pretty happy with it and lets me know when I get a call or text so it helps when I am on the road. The ol lady called kinda stuff. I did notice that I can take a 200 mile trip and it records about same as when I am out on our farm actually walking and working. So its OK but 100% accurate NOT but it works. TN1WR I agree, seems that even the Marathon runners and extreme athletes seem to die to the same as us guys that dont do all the fitness stuff. so I eat drink and be merry I try to eat right most of the time. I try to avoid the GMOs and other Chemically altered or enhanced stuff.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I agree with you about what/how you eat. I will not ever be eating sugar free this or fat free that. GMOs, they are in a lot of the store bought food chain, I do try and keep them to a minimum. I guess I will continue to workout hard with the idea that my doing this will help me continue to play hard, eat well and ride motorcycles into a happy old age.
Joyce, you inspired me more than I can ever properly say. I miss you my friend.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Blunt honesty: I don't understand the purpose of a fitbit at all. I find them to be a gimmick for the exact reason your problem demonstrates. What the h-e-double-hockey-stick do they actually do for your fitness goals? Remind you to move your azz? If you need a watch for that, you're not dedicated enough anyway.

A calorie counter is more beneficial. Medical issues aside, fitness goals are as simple as calories in/calories out. Need to gain weight? Eat more than you expend. Need to lose weight? Eat less than you expend. Simple as that and no one's body is special or exempt, no matter what some feminist told you.

Use an app like MyFitnessPal. Unlike a step counter, it will give you the applicable result of your movement, i.e. - duration and intensity = calories burned. You can also use it to track your meals for a very close estimate of how many calories you have consumed versus how many you have expended.

Or, you could keep using a fitbit, wonder where those steps came from and whether those steps were strenuous enough to have even made them worth taking in the first place.

·
Administrator
23,542 Posts
Just switch to / use a HRM when you do cardio --- IF you're interested in exercising in a target zone. If not, dump the Fitbit altogether (IMHO)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR Watch. Haven't noticed a problem when riding.

·
Administrator
23,542 Posts
I use the Livestrong fitness tracker and was surprised to see motorcycle riding listed at 234kcal/ hr -- which is awesome! Don't feel compelled to go out and do any cardio when on the road riding. The riding is in itself enough aerobic work.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Blunt honesty: I don't understand the purpose of a fitbit at all. I find them to be a gimmick for the exact reason your problem demonstrates. What the h-e-double-hockey-stick do they actually do for your fitness goals? Remind you to move your azz? If you need a watch for that, you're not dedicated enough anyway.

A calorie counter is more beneficial. Medical issues aside, fitness goals are as simple as calories in/calories out. Need to gain weight? Eat more than you expend. Need to lose weight? Eat less than you expend. Simple as that and no one's body is special or exempt, no matter what some feminist told you.

Use an app like MyFitnessPal. Unlike a step counter, it will give you the applicable result of your movement, i.e. - duration and intensity = calories burned. You can also use it to track your meals for a very close estimate of how many calories you have consumed versus how many you have expended.

Or, you could keep using a fitbit, wonder where those steps came from and whether those steps were strenuous enough to have even made them worth taking in the first place.
You are right. And when I was 32 I thought exactly as you do now when it comes to staying fit. As people get older and still want to try and stay in better shape, a lot of us will start to look for a gadget or new way of working out that will help give us an edge. In the end it is exactly the same thing we did in our thirties to stay in shape that we have to keep doing now, maybe with more emphasis on the cardio workout, and with a good deal less food intake.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I use Cron-O-Meter religiously. That's how I track, not only calories, but also amount of protein and carbohydrate intake. The nice thing is that only Fitbit and a couple of other fitness trackers sync with it. I'm sure MyFitness Pal does similar.

It's also good to hear the Garmin does not have an issue, as that's one of the devices that will sync with Cron-O-Meter. I'm also researching the Withings Steel HR.

·
Bronze member
1,261 Posts
Honestly the Fit bit does nothing for me other than deliver a TXT MSG to me so if the ol lady needs something I can see it in my arm instead of having to get the phone out. I wont look or answer a freaking phone when I am driving and especially riding. Other than TXT notifications it hooks into RALLY which my work uses to try and help employees stay motivated. For me the RALLY and my Comp have paid for my watch just in bonuses for using the tools. So far I paid 200 for the watch and have collected over 500 for just walking. So what the heck.

·
Bronze member
1,439 Posts
I use the Livestrong fitness tracker and was surprised to see motorcycle riding listed at 234kcal/ hr -- which is awesome! Don't feel compelled to go out and do any cardio when on the road riding. The riding is in itself enough aerobic work.
You'll get more out of it if you ride a Harley (and then you have to push it)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts