Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a pair of sunnies that will fit over the top of my prescription glasses that are suitable for motorcycling. They need to be comfortable with a helmet, so I guess that means slim sides, soft plastic, and they should create an air tight seal to the face to prevent wind buffeting the eyes.

What do all you guys out there use and recommend? What brand. Where do you buy them?

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Same question for face masks.... What and where?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I wear my prescription glasses with polarization, my Indian half helmet also has a built in hideaway smoke face shield. Cold weather I wear my full face modular.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I want to get a pair of sunnies that will fit over the top of my prescription glasses that are suitable for motorcycling. They need to be comfortable with a helmet, so I guess that means slim sides, soft plastic, and they should create an air tight seal to the face to prevent wind buffeting the eyes.

What do all you guys out there use and recommend? What brand. Where do you buy them?
Back when I cared what people thought who looked at me. Back in my slave to fashion days. Way back then I would try stuff like you are talking about. Glasses with goggles and all kinds of crap. Yep, tried it all and none of it worked worth a hoot.

IF you ride in the rain, and I know a lot of folks don't, but if you ride in the rain, every layer of anything you put in front of your eyes is going to bead up with water and steam up with fog. In other words, the windshield is a mess and your "Ober-Glasses" are a mess and then your eye glasses are a mess and you get to try and look through all of this accumulated crap at 70mph, in the rain, at night. The dazzle of on coming traffic is especially blinding in this type of set up.

If it is a little warm and damp then fog will blind you under layers of stuff you have to look through.

The second and maybe most important area that most guys get themselves into trouble with goggles or "Ober-Glasses" is peripheral vision. Most of this type of contraptions have WIDE sidebars or straps in the case of goggles. You will be like a horse with blinders on....I'm just saying.

All of these are the paths taken by the uninitiated and inexperienced. Experience is a cruel teacher because she gives the exam first and the lesson later. You will quickly discover what I'm telling you if you do get hooked up here.

Ok, where can you get these "Ober-Glasses"?
Go someplace (Florida) that has a high percentage of old women with blue hair. You will start seeing those dopey glasses that fit over you scripts just about the time you notice the weaving Buicks.

Hopefully I got you talked out of this....So let's move right along and act like you never seriously considered doing something like this in the first place.

Get your prescription glasses set up with transition lenses that darken in the sunlight. Wear a full face helmet that keeps the rain drops off of your glasses.

That's what I know about that.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,776 Posts
I echo BD with this exception;
Get prescription sunglasses. I've had two different types of auto-darkening glasses and neither were dark enough. So I just have resigned to carrying around two pair of glasses.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I purchased Liberty sport glasses Libertysport.com They make a full array of sunglasses for sports enthusiasts including motorcycle riders. You do not have to get the one's for bike riding. I then had my eyeglass shop put in Progressive, transition, anti glare lenses so I can see. Look for a pair you like that has a strap that you can attach. The frames run around $129-$159 but the progressive lenses add A LOT to the cost. Doesn't matter as I feel being able to see while riding a bike is important!! I also put in lenses that are made for sport meaning stronger. That did not add very much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've never been fond of sycophants and actually go out of my way to ridicule that kind of man. So, because I've found myself blindly following Big Daddy and his advise/comments, I will suggest that you Not listen to him.

That said, would you like us to set up some kind of crowd source for the medical bills for when you roll into the back of that mini-van?

Reactions: Bluey

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
image.jpg
I REALLY appreciate the advice above,,,, given me much to think about.

I'm not after a fashion look, in fact I don't care if I look like Marty Feldman's ugly uncle. I do mostly day riding in fine weather, so the moisture and dark issues don't concern me. I simply want something that allows me to be shielded from the sun, as well as protected from bugs, birds and low flying mothers-in-law. Down here we have flys and beetles that must come in at 5 pounds plus, or at least it feels like that when they smack into your face at warp speeds.

Since I prefer an open face helmet, I don't want just one pair of glasses between me and the pterodactyls, but a double layer for defence.

Maybe the solution is for Big Daddy to leave his eyes to me when he dies? They could be surgically transplanted after I have ruined mine.... after all, they'd be in pristine condition.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
View attachment 4867 I REALLY appreciate the advice above,,,, given me much to think about.

I'm not after a fashion look, in fact I don't care if I look like Marty Feldman's ugly uncle. I do mostly day riding in fine weather, so the moisture and dark issues don't concern me. I simply want something that allows me to be shielded from the sun, as well as protected from bugs, birds and low flying mothers-in-law. Down here we have flys and beetles that must come in at 5 pounds plus, or at least it feels like that when they smack into your face at warp speeds.

Dang. Is that a fly or a beetle?:rolleyes:

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I've never been fond of sycophants and actually go out of my way to ridicule that kind of man. So, because I've found myself blindly following Big Daddy and his advise/comments, I will suggest that you Not listen to him.

That said, would you like us to set up some kind of crowd source for the medical bills for when you roll into the back of that mini-van?
Man, I had to google that word...."Harley Rider" was all it said. Sycophant. Learn something new every day.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
View attachment 4867 I REALLY appreciate the advice above,,,, given me much to think about.

Since I prefer an open face helmet, I don't want just one pair of glasses between me and the pterodactyls, but a double layer for defence.

Maybe the solution is for Big Daddy to leave his eyes to me when he dies? They could be surgically transplanted after I have ruined mine.... after all, they'd be in pristine condition.
I'll pencil ya in on my will for my "good eye".

·
Registered
57 Posts

I got these at CVS for $19.99. Comfortable under my modular helmet as well as my half bucket, seal around my face and great protection when I wear no helmet as well.

Attachments

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I think Big Daddy would just be happy with the crowd,,,, after all, they may all throw money instead of applause! I hear he's partial to a dollar,,,, and stuff the Fame!

·
Registered
435 Posts

Have a look at this:
Bobster Phoenix Over the Glass Interchangeable Lens Goggles - Motorcycle Superstore
Pacific Coast 9311 Airfoil Fitover Goggle Day2Nite Sunglasses - Motorcycle Superstore
2012-pacific-coast-9311-airfoil-fitover-goggle-day2nite-sunglasses---.jpeg
0000-bobster-phoenix-over-the-glass-goggles---.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at Wyliex SG-1s. Avaiable in prescriptions lenses. They're vented to help keep the lenses from fogging, ballistic grade lenses in clear, tited or photosensitive, and they look good. A little spendy, but should meet your need: SG-1

·
Registered
723 Posts
I also went to Walmart like rickosahy45. For ten bucks you can't beat them and they look good as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts