Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the stage 1 exhaust with fish fins installed on my Chieftain. I noticed that surface rust is beginning to develop inside of the fins which are exposed and can easily hold water after a washing or rain. I can easily clean the the rust away with chem prime/ OSPHO, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so do you have a prevention?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Don't wash it and keep it out of the rain, LOL, just kidding. Is it possible to clean off the rust and paint the inside with something like rustoleum?

·
Registered
716 Posts
When I wash mine I always start it and let it warm up good, that gets the pipes hot enough to evaporate any water in the pipes. Started doing that years ago with my h.d.s , let them shake like a dog after a bath.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I too have a bit of surface rust on the inside of the fish tails. The bike is new so I'm not too worried about it at the moment, maybe it will cover up with soot. Still, I plan on pulling the tips off before Spring and coating the inside with high temp paint for longevity.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Like he said ride it after washing. Or you can blow it off with your leaf blower. I use it after washing the car as well.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I wash mine every time I come back from riding along the ocean and use an electric leaf vac......then I take it a couple miles around neighborhood to heat it up and get water out of places I don't see then I wipe it down with microfiber cloths......every other time I put a little more carnuba wax on it.....that is starting to sound like overkill......good thing I am retired!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Getting them heated up after a wash is a good idea. There is also the option of putting naval jelly on it. :D

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
One of my six shooters has pitted/discolored. Gonna see if the dealer will warranty it
Just put a set of Six Shooters on my Chieftain, sure hope the problem you experienced is not common.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts