Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my '17 Vintage in May last year and with about the first year under my belt, I have made a few observations of what I find to be a fine bike.

In that year I trailered it to Arizona where I put on 1,500 miles in average temperatures of 115°. Even without an oil cooler I never had any running or overheating issues. I actually got the best mileage I've been able to achieve at about 42mpg. So much for that being a potential issue. I never even burned enough oil to add any. At this time, I was running Stage I, Stage II and a PVCX with Fuel Moto map. My cat also ran away and I didn't chase it.

Last summer I rode from Clarksville, TN to southern NH to include a few side trips to Lake Sunapee. I averaged about 85 through Ohio and parts of the NY Thruway I had the cruise set at just shy of 100 just to keep up with traffic. Here I found the bike handled like an ocean liner even cruising at very high speed and as such never noticed a great difference in handling between 70 and 100. I was quite impressed. I did observe a drop in mileage to about 36-38 mpg; I'm sure speed and climate were the contributing factors. On the way back I unexpectedly took my teenaged niece with me and all her crap so I was well overloaded and noticed no change in handling or mileage. Again I was largely impressed. At this time I made no changes to the bike. After this trip, I installed the Kraft Werks Prairie Bar and I found that greatly improved my riding position.

Over the winter I put on about 2,500 miles, mostly commuting and found the bike struggles a bit in the cold. I never had any battery issues but my average mileage dropped to about 31mpg. I started having trouble with the starter and found the bike did not want to start below 40°. I made a slight adjustment to the latency and got much improvement on starting until the starter blew itself into bite sized pieces as I cranked it to get on a ferry requiring a tow. The starter was fixed quickly and under warranty and is to date the only failure I've had and was at approximately 11,000 miles. I also needed a rear tire badly around this time but I'm certain being overloaded most of the time and southern Arizona roads in high heat did not help me any. I just put another stock tire on.

Last week I packed my 3 day ruck, racked it and set out from Clarksville to Tyler, TX and hit the second big rain I've been through on this bike, the first being a 4 hour torrential downpour coming back from NH. The bike fares better than me in the rain, even with the open element. Me, I was cold, wet and quite pissed off. I then rode to south Texas and dropped in on @jdmatthew who hooked me up with some TAB pipes with both the zombie and intermediate baffles. I installed the zombie baffles and was quite happy with the sound and now my Stage I pipes are enroute back to the house. Thanks to him as well for the windshield to replace my one damaged from a cage pushing me into a ditch. I then rode to Alexandria, LA averaging about 70-75 and had no change in the handling but my mileage is not improving much, about 32mpg loaded down or about 140 miles to a tank. Let the record show my bike is part lizard and really likes hot and dry.

Overall, coming up on the 15,000 mile service and associated adventures and mishaps, I would choose the same bike given a choice. I don't care for fairings so an upgrade isn't necessary and whereas a trunk would be handy, I like my 3 day ruck better because it comes right off and it's still a ruck. I can attach the rest of my crap to it as well like my first aid kit, blanket, bike cover and sleeping bag. I do think Indian dropped the ball on windshield design and will look into a Freedom Shield when the budget allows. The high speed buffeting is awful after a while.

Other observations are the fact I intend to replace the rubber grommets and bushings about once a year as dry rotting appears to be an issue. This goes for the saddle bags, side covers and the boots on the bottom of the windshield. It's easy and cheap enough except for the windshield boots which Indian is really proud of.

Other future improvements include a foot board lowering kit, a must have for us long legged folks and a means to check the oil without looking like I'm on a bicycle on a tightrope balancing a monkey on a stick.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What amazes me the most about this bike is after a 600 mile day, I'm still ready to keep going. I've done one unofficial Iron Butt but I have too many friends along the way to run an official one. You know, first world problems.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. Most of what I've done with the bike is after an assessment of gains vs. cost vs. risk. It was hard to internally justify the stage 2 but i can go around slow folks faster. The seat cover was an amazing idea. There is no way I could ever justify the stage 3 as I can already do everything I need the bike to do and the gas mileage is bad enough already. The extra fuel used keeps the engine cool and running well and I'm good with that. I don't see it as broken so I won't fix it. My ultimate goal here with this bike is to see how far passed 100k miles I can get before a top end.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
I do think Indian dropped the ball on windshield design and will look into a Freedom Shield when the budget allows. The high speed buffeting is awful after a while.
I have the mid height windshield and buffeting was a problem too. I added the lower fork deflectors and I'm still shocked in what a huge difference it made!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Your adventures sound amazing. I need to spend less time in the office and get out more.

Reactions: Wovoka

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I picked up my '17 Vintage in May last year and with about the first year under my belt, I have made a few observations of what I find to be a fine bike.

In that year I trailered it to Arizona where I put on 1,500 miles in average temperatures of 115°. Even without an oil cooler I never had any running or overheating issues. I actually got the best mileage I've been able to achieve at about 42mpg. So much for that being a potential issue. I never even burned enough oil to add any. At this time, I was running Stage I, Stage II and a PVCX with Fuel Moto map. My cat also ran away and I didn't chase it.

Last summer I rode from Clarksville, TN to southern NH to include a few side trips to Lake Sunapee. I averaged about 85 through Ohio and parts of the NY Thruway I had the cruise set at just shy of 100 just to keep up with traffic. Here I found the bike handled like an ocean liner even cruising at very high speed and as such never noticed a great difference in handling between 70 and 100. I was quite impressed. I did observe a drop in mileage to about 36-38 mpg; I'm sure speed and climate were the contributing factors. On the way back I unexpectedly took my teenaged niece with me and all her crap so I was well overloaded and noticed no change in handling or mileage. Again I was largely impressed. At this time I made no changes to the bike. After this trip, I installed the Kraft Werks Prairie Bar and I found that greatly improved my riding position.

Over the winter I put on about 2,500 miles, mostly commuting and found the bike struggles a bit in the cold. I never had any battery issues but my average mileage dropped to about 31mpg. I started having trouble with the starter and found the bike did not want to start below 40°. I made a slight adjustment to the latency and got much improvement on starting until the starter blew itself into bite sized pieces as I cranked it to get on a ferry requiring a tow. The starter was fixed quickly and under warranty and is to date the only failure I've had and was at approximately 11,000 miles. I also needed a rear tire badly around this time but I'm certain being overloaded most of the time and southern Arizona roads in high heat did not help me any. I just put another stock tire on.

Last week I packed my 3 day ruck, racked it and set out from Clarksville to Tyler, TX and hit the second big rain I've been through on this bike, the first being a 4 hour torrential downpour coming back from NH. The bike fares better than me in the rain, even with the open element. Me, I was cold, wet and quite pissed off. I then rode to south Texas and dropped in on @jdmatthew who hooked me up with some TAB pipes with both the zombie and intermediate baffles. I installed the zombie baffles and was quite happy with the sound and now my Stage I pipes are enroute back to the house. Thanks to him as well for the windshield to replace my one damaged from a cage pushing me into a ditch. I then rode to Alexandria, LA averaging about 70-75 and had no change in the handling but my mileage is not improving much, about 32mpg loaded down or about 140 miles to a tank. Let the record show my bike is part lizard and really likes hot and dry.

Overall, coming up on the 15,000 mile service and associated adventures and mishaps, I would choose the same bike given a choice. I don't care for fairings so an upgrade isn't necessary and whereas a trunk would be handy, I like my 3 day ruck better because it comes right off and it's still a ruck. I can attach the rest of my crap to it as well like my first aid kit, blanket, bike cover and sleeping bag. I do think Indian dropped the ball on windshield design and will look into a Freedom Shield when the budget allows. The high speed buffeting is awful after a while.

Other observations are the fact I intend to replace the rubber grommets and bushings about once a year as dry rotting appears to be an issue. This goes for the saddle bags, side covers and the boots on the bottom of the windshield. It's easy and cheap enough except for the windshield boots which Indian is really proud of.

Other future improvements include a foot board lowering kit, a must have for us long legged folks and a means to check the oil without looking like I'm on a bicycle on a tightrope balancing a monkey on a stick.

View attachment 391648
Hey, brother, enjoyed your visit. You always have a bed and a meal if you are in the area. The Welcome mat is out. Great conversations with you. Glad the pipes suit you.

Reactions: Wovoka

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, brother, enjoyed your visit. You always have a bed and a meal if you are in the area. The Welcome mat is out. Great conversations with you. Glad the pipes suit you.
I quite enjoyed the visit as well. In addition to completing a much desired upgrade and repairs to my bike, I reaffirmed my desire to be a teacher through your advice and our conversations. I could not be more grateful for your hospitality.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone considering loud but not short pipes on a Harley loud, I rode 550 miles so far with my new to me Tabs with zombie baffles and I find them perfect for what I was looking for. They are a little raspy and not as deep sounding as say the Vance & Hines pipes I just heard the other day but as loud as they are, I don't find them overwhelming. As goes with the Tabs, if I do get tired of the zombie baffles, I have the intermediate baffles to tone it down. I don't foresee myself doing that but I like having the option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts