Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought a new 18 Roadmaster two months ago and part of the deal was a free 116 kit and installation. Picked her up yesterday and went for a short ride (an hour) after work. First impressions - this bike pulls like a schoolboy!!!! There is nothing wrong with the 111 engine but wow just wow. Even though I have to run the engine in for the next 1000 kms (600 miles) taking the engine to a max of 3500 rpm, the bike gets up and goes. Havent noticed any jerkiness with throttle use and it feels like it just wants to go. Looking forward to running this in and then opening it up. If you are thinking about getting the kit, dont sit on the fence. Just get it. Its that’s good.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Hi all. I bought a new 18 Roadmaster two months ago and part of the deal was a free 116 kit and installation. Picked her up yesterday and went for a short ride (an hour) after work. First impressions - this bike pulls like a schoolboy!!!! There is nothing wrong with the 111 engine but wow just wow. Even though I have to run the engine in for the next 1000 kms (600 miles) taking the engine to a max of 3500 rpm, the bike gets up and goes. Havent noticed any jerkiness with throttle use and it feels like it just wants to go. Looking forward to running this in and then opening it up. If you are thinking about getting the kit, dont sit on the fence. Just get it. Its that’s good.
My dealer said that once you do the big bore kit all you need to do is run the bike in for another 500 kms . Mind you mine has had the first service and from what I seen on the Indian sites you can't install the kit until the bike has had or after the first service. I know then they also offered and still stands here in Australia on the 2018 models that the 116 kit os free and also included the stage 1 exhaust and stage 1 air filter up until the end of May. So anyone buying a new 2018 bike now has a great offer. Sadly I missed out by 3 days of getting the big bore kit deal on my bike even though I bought the stage 1 exhaust and hi flow filter. I have pushed the dealer to push Polaris and they said bad luck it is just how things are.I sort of agree but kept bugging my dealership to assist me and to the owners credit he came up with great offer to enable me to get the kit and he will tune the PVCX once I run the bike in . To assist him wit his cost I donated my stage 2 cams with bugger all kms on them so he could use them in a demo bike saving him some dollars and me from trying to sell them off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm hoping that Indian will make the 116 standard on the big Chiefs in the near future, just as HD has made the 114 standard on their touring line of bikes. However I am an optimist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Brettg, I just bought my RoadMaster in January and have 6000kms on it .What a beautiful Bike we have as mine is Stock .Looking forward to upgrading the audio and installing a 116 kit . I´m going to wait until next year and do the upgrades before my warranty ends . Congrats and Cheers !

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Hi Brettg, I just bought my RoadMaster in January and have 6000kms on it .What a beautiful Bike we have as mine is Stock .Looking forward to upgrading the audio and installing a 116 kit . I´m going to wait until next year and do the upgrades before my warranty ends . Congrats and Cheers !
Best thing about waiting till the warranty is close to finishing is once you do the big bore kit you get another 12 mths warranty on your motor and install. Backed by factory again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
congrats... but sitting on the fence is what I'm doing... we don't get a free 116 kit in the states... and that new 108 H2O motor looks inviting... so saving my 5K now and adding it to the wish bucket...
I said the exact same thing yesterday at my Indian archive service center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I got notice today that the kit has arrived so my bike goes in tomorrow a day early but I have things arranged where I can't drop the bike off early enough on Wednesday .

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Finally finished this week ,I took the bike for the first 140 odd kms ride at 1/4 throttle yesterday with the old stage 2 cam PVCX Tune .At firs the bike felt rough and jumpy but the ECU finally worked out the new motor and tune .I loved the torque of the 116 so far I am not pushing it till it is ran in and the new tune goes into the PVCX and Dyno tuned to smooth it out. That won't happen till I do around 800 to a1,000 kms. Tomorrow I intend doing around 300 plus kms on windy twisty roads with great curves and slight uphill runs with Sharpe turns that should give me a good run up and down the rev range by the end of the day I should be about 200 kms off having the bike ran in after the second stage of using just about half the throttle . Looking forward to having the bike back on the Dyno ,then tune the PVCX to see what numbers I get. I deleted the cat so that should help with a little extra H.P. As for fuel consumption I averaged around 5.4 ltrs. per 100 kms yesterday so an improvement on the old 111 with stage 2 cams so far. Not that fuel consumption worries me as it is only a bike and fuel does not cost that much in order to fill the tank.Last of all the cat delete has made the bike a bit louder but the note coming out of that exhaust sounds fantastic. My biggest worry was and still is the noise lever as the police here are a bit over active with noise levels and if they defect you ,once you get the defect fixed they have to take photos of the exhaust and it goes onto your registration records with the photo ,type of exhaust and what it looks like etc. The police only need to see you riding look on their Computor to see if it has anything logged against your bike. If it is different to what they see or have they can just send you a defect or notice to attend a EPA inspection station to have your bike tested. 3 notices they impound your bike and you won't get it back. Plus the fines go top every time too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have now done 1000kms with the 116 kit fitted. Did a 400 km ride yesterday. Love this bike even more now.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Have now done 1000kms with the 116 kit fitted. Did a 400 km ride yesterday. Love this bike even more now.
Brett so glade your happy with your 116 buddy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts