Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2019 Chieftain last week and already rolled up 500 miles. I changed the oil today and put 5.5 quarts in the bike along with a new filter and the oil level on the dip stick is not even close to the normal range. The bike is level and I ran it for three minutes at 2000 rpm but the oil level still lacks about a half inch from the normal range. The owners manual says 5.5 quarts which is what came in the kit but it is low according to the dip stick. The oil bottles were all full but they do not specify an oil weight on any of them. What weight oil is required? Do I add more oil to bring it up to the normal line on the dip stick or leave it with the 5.5 quarts and call it a day?

Tim

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Medicine Bow!!! I thought something was not right. My build date is 07/19 and does not have the silver ring around the dip stick which confirms 6.0 quarts needed. How did you come across this information?
Tim

Reactions: Medicine Bow

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thank you Medicine Bow!!! I thought something was not right. My build date is 07/19 and does not have the silver ring around the dip stick which confirms 6.0 quarts needed. How did you come across this information?
Tim
I've spent some time researching my bike and it's maintenance....including buying the service manual. I came across the link I sent you while perusing the Indian website.

I'm seeing this a bunch. Many don't realize some bikes take 6 quarts.

Mine also takes 6 quarts and I'll make sure its at the proper level after oil changes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided against the 2020 Challenger because of it being a first year bike which has had some issues and someone on this sight is tracking service manual errors. I thought the 2019 Chieftain would be a better stabilized bike as far as design issues and maintenance issues. I have found some issues with the owners manual which this is Now one of them. Thanks for the information!!

Tim

·
Rider
1,151 Posts
So this is considered error in manual?
They need to send out a publication to everyone to add to your manual as an update.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I wonder what the difference is?

·
Rider
1,151 Posts
I wonder why the change ?
After all this we went out to check ring or no ring and date of mfg.
Mine has no silver ring so it holds 6qts.
Here is the other rub. I hope its got right amount of oil because dealer did 1st service at 500 and I am not sure if I have checked it or not. Now I have 5000 miles.
If dealer was not up on his mojo then we have 5.5 in a 6qt capacity motor.
Wow, What a Hiyatus

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
The Bikes take 5.5 quarts, all the 111/116 do there is zero difference on the engines. But due to massive amounts of customers overfilling and calling dealers due to not being able to see the oil level. (which can be seen when seen a very specific way) they decided to just go to 6 quarts because you are more able to see oil on the dipstick that way and the extra 1/2 quart isn't too bad. Plus when you buy oil on your own, you buy it by the quart, and have to buy 6 quarts anyway.

75% of the oil capacity is mostly for cooling.Oil does 45% of the cooling on average in an air cooled engine. And on these bikes is the oil for the tranny. 5.5 - 6 quarts is the capacity you find in most V8 auto engines. 5.5 to 6 quarts will make zero difference in real world riding.

1/2 quart is within the normal operating range markings on the dip stick.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No silver ring around the dipstick means it has a longer dipstick and built after Feb 2019. It would be nice to see a owners manual supplement as was mentioned above to show all the changes since my owners manual was printed/copyright in 2018 but built in July 2019. Also I had a hard time finding 20W40 oil. The closest I could find was 10W40 Mobil One synthetic.

Tim

·
Rider
1,028 Posts
I bought my 2019 Chieftain last week and already rolled up 500 miles. I changed the oil today and put 5.5 quarts in the bike along with a new filter and the oil level on the dip stick is not even close to the normal range. The bike is level and I ran it for three minutes at 2000 rpm but the oil level still lacks about a half inch from the normal range. The owners manual says 5.5 quarts which is what came in the kit but it is low according to the dip stick. The oil bottles were all full but they do not specify an oil weight on any of them. What weight oil is required? Do I add more oil to bring it up to the normal line on the dip stick or leave it with the 5.5 quarts and call it a day?

Tim
Like others said, you have a 6.o qt. TS Engine. This is Indian's how to 6 qt change on TS. Since you alreay put 5.5 qts in the case, I would put the other 1/2 qt in and call it a day and get out and ride your Chieftain! :cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what the bottom of the oil filter (cut open), oil drain pan and oil filter look like at 525 miles. It looks normal and hopefully the next oil change will see less particles. Hopefully more miles of smiles yet to come.

Tim

Indian Chieftain oil change1.jpg
Indian Chieftain oil change2.jpg
Indian Chieftain oil change3.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts