Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I was able to install Indian’s plate relocation bracket as well as their clear turn signals. Wasn’t bad, but some of the directions leave a bit to be desired.
Yesterday I removed the cat convertor and installed the Toce Performance mid pipe. That was a pain in the butt. Their mid pipe wasn’t fitting at all. Finally made it fit by cutting the factory header pipe. Not perfect, but it works somewhat. It’s probably leaking a bit, as evidenced by a small tick. Sounds better, especially under throttle. Didn’t ride it yet though.

Next up is mapping it with the PV3 from FuelMoto. I’ll start that tonight. Only question so far is the location of the bike’s OBD port. Is it behind the right triangle side cover?

Anyways, I’ve only put about 60 miles on it so far....Absolutely love this bike! It’ll get me off sport bikes without a doubt. Not that I’ll sell my 929’s or RC51, but man is this thing fun! Sport mode is crazy. Heck, even Rain mode isn’t bad. Very impressed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
For sure. They were already a classic icon before they were discontinued. Honda needs to get back on the torque train.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No kidding. Very under appreciated, even back when they were new. I had my first back in 2004 with a brand new 2004 model. Unfortunately, I wadded that one up on the track a year later. My second is a 2002 model that I’ve had now for a few years. Lots of goodies. Like all RC51’s, she’s a bit unfriendly around town, but she’s a superstar once the speed increases. Tips in much faster compared to my 929’s.....and extremely stable.

Ive been looking for another, but man have the prices jumped in just a couple of years.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Over the weekend I was able to install Indian’s plate relocation bracket as well as their clear turn signals. Wasn’t bad, but some of the directions leave a bit to be desired.
Yesterday I removed the cat convertor and installed the Toce Performance mid pipe. That was a pain in the butt. Their mid pipe wasn’t fitting at all. Finally made it fit by cutting the factory header pipe. Not perfect, but it works somewhat. It’s probably leaking a bit, as evidenced by a small tick. Sounds better, especially under throttle. Didn’t ride it yet though.

Next up is mapping it with the PV3 from FuelMoto. I’ll start that tonight. Only question so far is the location of the bike’s OBD port. Is it behind the right triangle side cover?

Anyways, I’ve only put about 60 miles on it so far....Absolutely love this bike! It’ll get me off sport bikes without a doubt. Not that I’ll sell my 929’s or RC51, but man is this thing fun! Sport mode is crazy. Heck, even Rain mode isn’t bad. Very impressed.
I contacted Permatex and they suggested Optimum Grey to seal slip-on muffler parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, totally not happy. Ugh. Figures haha. Got my 2 maps from FuelMoto tonight. This is not necessarily a complaint with them, so I’ll try to explain as best I can.

I removed the cat and installed a Toce mid pipe. That stupid cat was crazy hot, and the bike was way too dang quiet. Every stop I made had me thinking the bike stalled. Anyways, I hadn’t ridden it after the cat delete. Figured I’d wait for a proper tune.

So tonight I loaded up the 2 maps on the PV3 and tried them. Both tunes had the bike stalling when hot. I’d roll up to a stop sign and the bike would quit. On one occasion it stalled in the driveway and would not restart. After letting it sit for a couple minutes it started, but acted as if it wanted to die again. Finally I was able to get it on the lift and just left it for awhile. Both tunes caused the stalling. To be fair though, I probably only drove about one mile per tune, just around the neighborhood.

I believe I was able to load my stock tune back on, and took it out once more. It didn’t stall, so that’s a good thing I guess. At no time, with any of the tunes, did the bike ever throw a check engine light. Or at least not that I ever saw.

On the topic of the cat delete....I keep reading everyone saying that the bike “pops.” I wouldn’t call it that....it’s a backfire. My RC51 pops along with some Inline 4’s....this is anything but a “pop” in my opinion. Not to mention something sounds like a tin can with rocks back there. I double checked everything again tonight and nothing is loose that I can find.

I’ll reach out to Fuel Moto tomorrow and see what they say. If nothing else I might just end up putting the cat back on and calling it a day. On Sunday morning I was calling it the best bike I’d been on...tonight I’m ready to sell it. Crazy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2 cents ..... I just installed fuel moto tune a cpl of days ago my ftr has cat delete , [email protected] slip on and [email protected] ... they sent me 2 tunes I loaded the first one ...cold start up was great no shut off during warm up as soon as I put it in first to leave the drive way she stalled on take of ( I was pissed lol ) , had to fight the throttle to keep it running . Came back and loaded second tune and the bike is driving pretty good now ... only hiccup is coming to a stop under 15 mph if I pull clutch in and give it a short blip she don't like it , it almost stalls but catches itself , but beside that bike feels ok . I think it's still missing power tho instead of playing email tag trying to remote tune ima get the bike dyno tuned by a local shop next month possibly. But my bike is drivable with his tune number 2 , but it's def not running as good as it should . I too expected more since they say they own a ftr and dyno tuned it , not bashing just my opinion

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. Your experience closely resembles mine. Their tune #2 did result in less stalling for me too. Even just idling in the garage for 5 minutes though, engine up to temp at 180+, it would just quit. Fuel Moto had indicated that I should test each out for a 100 miles or so, but I don’t think my bike would make 100 miles with either of them right now.

I don’t have a local dyno or anything near me so I’m kind of stuck. Good luck with yours though.

·
Bronze member
2,552 Posts
This is exactly why several people ended up
Going to Ryan from indian of Charlotte after buying tuners from Fm. Even my Local dealer recently did.

Some people like fm tunes. For Others it doesn’t work.

Before going stock I would contact Ryan.

Toce and Ryan also worked together designed the cat delete and his tune to work perfectly together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. So just call Indian of Charlotte and ask for Ryan? I’ll have to start down that road tomorrow. Thank you.

·
Bronze member
2,552 Posts
Ask for Richie. He is the parts guy. The tune is $175 since you already have the tuner.

And then you will deal with Ryan.

They have been swamped lately and slightly understaffed. So be patient. But I’ve yet to see a negative review about his work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ask for Richie. He is the parts guy. The tune is $175 since you already have the tuner.

And then you will deal with Ryan.

They have been swamped lately and slightly understaffed. So be patient. But I’ve yet to see a negative review about his work.

Does he have a tune on deck that just works or do u play the email tag / data log game for a while ?

Thanks for the info tho

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,314 Posts

Just wait until you have about 2,500 miles on it...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Any ideas on why the bike is stalling when hot? I don’t know if I ever looked at the idle speed when it was doing it. Also, as soon as I flashed it, I disconnected the PV3 so I don’t have any running data either. Just ran out of time last night and was so frustrated I just walked away from it.

·
Registered
2019 FTR1200S Race Replica
33 Posts
I will echo @ferraiolo1 one hundred percent. I have the same Toce exhaust and the Secret Sauce tune from Ryan was the first and only tune I have used. I have literally zero issues and my base model runs perfect. I am a little worried that when I upgrade to the S model that I won't be able to run the exact same tune I have now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, @LoudFTR, you removed your cat as well, and have the Toce mid pipe? Looks like you'll have different mufflers, but aside from that its the same? Any hot stalling issues or backfires with the Ryan tune?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts