Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be taking my very first long ride. it will be 8 hours long at least. that being said besides for rain gear what are some must have things? I know a small tool kit, chargers for our phones and helmets. what else do you recommend?

thanks guys.

·
Silver member
5,098 Posts
If you are not riding locally then...

Eight hours is not incredibly long, but if you are going to be out without a possible service location then a compact plug and patch tire kit and tender style air compressor is always a good idea. And a brick charger to run the compressor so you don't run your battery down filling your tire.

Simple stuff to like an extra CR2032 battery or know your start code and sequence if your FOB dies, a flashlight, some extra bungees or rope if you are carrying anything outside your storage compartments. A few terry towels if you get caught in a heavy rain just to take moisture off your dash areas.

If you are riding backroads and not interstate an old fashioned road atlas is good to have. A backpacker tarp with stuff sack if rain is predicted so if you need to pull over you can make some shelter for your self and for your bike. That is heavy downpour type thinking, but trust me it comes in handy. Been there done that.

Warm gloves and light weight gloves. One extra pair of daytime riding glasses and one extra pair of night time clear glasses.

But mostly check your predicted weather patterns from start to destination and you decide...

But I am assuming you are riding 8 hours into places unknown. If it is an 8 hour journey to sisters house in the same state. No big deal. You know where to get everything you need if something happens. ;)

Reactions: Britroy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its all interstate. Kansas to Chicago. My cousin is opening a wine shop in Chicago and the grand opening is July 10th through the 12th. I considered 8 hours long since we have only done trips that were about 2 hours away.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh I rode from Leavenworth KS to Toronto ON, CA twice during two summers. 1000 miles each way. 2000 mile round trip. Was about 8 hours worth of riding or 500 miles I'd stop half way in IL near Chicago on my way up and do the other half the next day to the destination. After a day's riding like that, it's time to stop for me anyways. That was on my old Honda though. As mentioned, a tire puncture repair kit is nice to have. And a little compressor too. Never know. Good recommendations from Pablo. If that's your bike you'll be taking, looks like you will have some good coverage in the front if it gets a little rainy. Sounds like you should already be packing some extra clothes for a couple night stay anyways. It took me probably 4 years before I ever needed my puncture repair kit.

What I always took on long hauls like that was a back brace. I did have a lower back rest, too. But the long hours of sitting it was very nice to have. Stretch at your fuel stops, get off, move around and get the blood flowing in the legs and stuff. After a couple solid hours of riding you might want to. But I haven't had a long trip on my RM yet. Still breaking it in and then I want to go up to the NE from PA up the 95 or some similar route maybe early fall.

Tools are good too, never know what could happen. Still learning what the common and good to have tools are. Lots of hex head bolts of metric sizes. Let us know how it goes! I am looking forward to my first long ride on this mobile couch!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,797 Posts
Its all interstate. Kansas to Chicago. My cousin is opening a wine shop in Chicago and the grand opening is July 10th through the 12th. I considered 8 hours long since we have only done trips that were about 2 hours away.
Do yourself a favor. Take 36 across Missouri, avoid I 70. Too many trucks and traffic. HWY 36 is four lane, much less traffic and a lot more enjoyable. Ends up by Hannibal where you can cut back to interstate and work your way back to Chicago. Ask me how I know. Dean

·
Registered
641 Posts
I remember going that way up to St. Jo and then over on 36. Was a nice ride on that highway through MO on one of my Toronto trips. Good recommendation on that one!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't how much riding you have done but you use different muscles when riding and a one time long ride can make you very sore. So build your body up with 4 or 6 hour rides. After the winter and not riding for 5 month or so, a one hour ride and I will be sore here and there. Especially as we get older I think building the body up is more important.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you have not been riding regularly take a few rides as often as possible before your trip to get your body conditioned. Even a few short 30 minutes rides a few day before will help. I take Advil with me and be sure to keep hydrated.

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
I would say leave an extra hour early, and take a few 10 minute breaks. I'm usually good for about 2 hours, then stop for a stretch of the legs and back. Next hour or so, stop for gas. I never let my gas go down below 1/4 tank. If you have to push the time and have a sore butt or back, it takes the enjoyment out of the trip.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. I know the drive is 8 hours via car give or take but I was planning on the mind set that when we get there we get there. We both want to be able to enjoy the ride. Thank you for the recommendation on taking 36 as I was thinking just taking I70. If you do think of anything else to add please keep letting me know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On long far away trips I always like to bring maps of where I will be going. GPS devices can quit working due to battery, poor or no satellite reception etc. I have a tank bag with a clear plastic top area that I insert hand written directions or mapquest directions written large enough so I can easily read them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I never had GPS other than on my phone. I'd tape my directions to the inside of my windshield in case I had technological failures or whatever. Or keep it in my pocket just in case I needed it. But on my first long ride, from Olympia WA to Grande Prairie AB CA, I was just over the WA Canada border coming up out of Kamloops, and I had my phone in a holder mounted to my handle bars. I kept getting errors and no service. Evidently, my SIM card was being vibrated so it wasn't staying connected and kept restarting.

That is where I met Tim the "Tool Man" Taylor a local from a local Canadian Vet riders group. He said if I ever had any trouble to call the closest chapter and they'd come riding! He had a new 6 speed Harley that at the time, my Honda 1300 was giving it a run for it's money. He waved me over to the side of the road and was surprised at what it was. My old VTX 1300. Had a nice chat while he said he had been running it hard and wanted to let it cool down a bit before continuing, he didn't have any fluids to help with that. Hoping to get the new RM up to Canada this fall, too! Nice day's ride to get up there from SE PA.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I forgot to mention wearing earplugs can help reduce fatigue. I believe they are illegal in some states. I like the silicone earplugs and Mack's is a brand of them. I don't think the inexpensive foam ones work as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to mention wearing earplugs can help reduce fatigue. I believe they are illegal in some states. I like the silicone earplugs and Mack's is a brand of them. I don't think the inexpensive foam ones work as well.

Do you recommend this with a full face helmet? We have sena momentum evos.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,095 Posts
We have earplugs called EarPeace that I use with both full face and half helmet's. They have a tube down the middle. Cuts out a lot of the droning sound, but allows for great hearing of intercoms because the middle tube is aimed directly at the helmet speakers. And you can still hear traffic and other things around you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Three thing you need to take. A credit card, clean underwear and a toothbrush...just in case you get wore down to the point you have to stop for the night.

·
Rider
570 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Take 36 across Missouri, avoid I 70. Too many trucks and traffic. HWY 36 is four lane, much less traffic and a lot more enjoyable. Ends up by Hannibal where you can cut back to interstate and work your way back to Chicago. Ask me how I know. Dean
I agree 100%. Brought US-36 across Kansas and Missouri on my way back from Utah to Ohio. Along with that advice, be sure to stay hydrated. And when you stop for fuel or to hydrate, be sure to stretch. Sounds silly but at the end of the day, you will be glad you did. So touch your toes a few times, do a few squats and calf raises, trunk twists help, and throw in some hurdler stretches. 👍

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Do you recommend this with a full face helmet? We have sena momentum evos.
Try wearing the plugs. I find you can hear the Sena just fine. But, I don't always follow my own advice and seem to talk a bit louder after a long ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts