Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Rider
654 Posts
I don't follow them Ferraiolo 1 but stumbled across the link on another forum on your side of the pond I am an active member of related to another iconic brand of American motorcycle under the 'naysayer' section. At least Indian appear a little more proactive on recognising they have a problem and acting upon it. Was a little surprised at the limited number listed in the recall.

·
Rider
696 Posts
Whilst there has been some debate as to whether a fuse/circuit breaker or whatever else you may wish to label it does or does not cause stalling issues I stumbled across the following article. The FTR is listed the title heading says it all. Obviously before splitting any hairs and R Warshawsky's experience this 'should' cure the stalling whilst riding trait but not the cold start stalling which I agree can be sorted with a tune undoubtedly. As a footnote I will start and use Wayne's suggestion of allowing the fuel pump to prime twice in the interim, it may just work?

I concur.
Did you find that article by googling? Or do you follow them? friend of mine works for them. Didn’t know they were international.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found this on justia.com:

"Indian will notify owners and provide a new 10A circuit breaker and installation instructions. Owners may choose to have the part installed at a dealership, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 2, 2020. Owners may contact Indian customer service at 1-877-204-3697. Indian's number for this recall is I-19-05."

·
Bronze member
1,414 Posts
Stopped at my dealer to see if they would give me the parts. No go. Womp womp

I told them I didn’t want to tune it back to stock if they were going to do any other updates. They just said they would pop the fuses in it in the parking lot.

·
Rider
696 Posts
Stopped at my dealer to see if they would give me the parts. No go. Womp womp

I told them I didn’t want to tune it back to stock if they were going to do any other updates. They just said they would pop the fuses in it in the parking lot.

Did the dealership say anything about updated ECM software?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Went down to my dealer yesterday (Spirit MC San Jose, CA) and asked about the recall replacement circuit breaker fuses for the FTR. The service guy said that they got a handful in and had to put them in the showroom bikes first. He said the next batch is expected in early February !!!! I really like my dealer, but find Indian's response to this danger to be sad, especially when you can buy these very common fuses vrtually everywhere....

·
Rider
654 Posts
…... but find Indian's response to this danger to be sad, especially when you can buy these very common fuses vrtually everywhere....
If you're that disappointed and saddened buy what you need and nail them in! I had quite a potential serious clutch recall on my H-D last year and parts were in such short supply I had to wait over four months until they finally hit our shores. Whilst fuses/circuit breakers may be easy to source locally Indian may have to wait for enough to be manufactured, shipped and subsequently distributed to the dealers to satisfy the 5,474 bikes that need them fitting to. Patience my friend. I personally haven't even bothered my dealer with this yet.

·
Bronze member
1,414 Posts
Indian doesn’t make the part.

If they are in short supply it’s not their fault. Similar to the takata airbag recall.

It’s $15 worth of parts. You can buy them and throw them in yourself if you’re worried about it

·
Rider
696 Posts
Indian doesn’t make the part.

If they are in short supply it’s not their fault. Similar to the takata airbag recall.

It’s $15 worth of parts. You can buy them and throw them in yourself if you’re worried about it

Sounds as though the OEM produced a large batch of bad parts, and I suspect it will not only affect Indian motorcycles. At least there's a work around, unlike the airbag situation (my Avalanche fitted with Takata parts could never be fixed as no replacements were ever made available.). I replaced the breakers with new ones from NAPA, and will wait patiently for the dealership to let me know if and when new breakers come in.

·
Bronze member
1,414 Posts
Rode out to my dealer today... of course they didn’t have fuses in stock. And said they are on back order till the end of February.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts