Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not complaining at all. Love this motorcycle. This last Sunday after riding my new base Challenger locally within 30 miles of my house finally decided to ride it to my off grid property in Eastern WA. It's a 2.5 hour ride each way. Very hot day, still 94 degrees at 7:30 pm when I arrived. I was a bit nervous, as the last 3 miles are uphill on a dirt and gravel road. I put it in rain mode, traction control on and had no problems getting it up that road. Stayed the night and rode back early next morning. I stopped at a gas station for coffee, and when I started it back up the engine check light came on. I checked the oil level, looked good, bike runs great, so I proceeded to ride it back home. So great ride, a little unnerving to get the engine light, but still had a great ride. Any thoughts on what the Check Engine light could be about? Should I attempt to get a code, or clear it or should I take it straight to the Indian dealership. Thx

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,070 Posts
If you open the vehicle diagnostics option on the ride command, it should tell you what the error was.

Touch the red Indian tab on the very top of the screen. Hit the gear icon. Diagnostics is in there. Make note of the code, if any, and let us know. Hopefully it's something simple.

These bikes are finicky, and will throw a code for something simple and it goes away after a power cycle or two.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a check engine light pop the day after I bought my Challenger. I forget what the code was for, however It disappeared on the next power up. Had the first service done a week later and still all was fine. Took bike on 5000 mile trip the following two weeks and still all good with no repeat of the check engine light.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I figured it wasn't something too serious since the light popped on after I had already stopped and cycled it back on. If it had happened while I was driving it probably I would have been a little more worried, but it ran great all the way home so... I'll check the diagnostics and see what comes up. thx

·
Registered
102 Posts
Less than 500 miles when i got that check engine light in my 2019 Chieftain after starting the engine around mid December in a cold night. Rode the bike for a mile and I stopped in a gas station and clicked the diagnostics and it said cylinder misfire. i turned the engine off and after a minute or two, started it again and it went away. engine run smooth. It has been running fine ever since.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Had several vehicles throw an Engine Light when new .. ( Not Just Motorcycles ) Try to get somewhere Isolated where can shut it off Look it over and listen and then restart and test brakes well before resuming ... Almost every time it happened just took right off with no more Code and never came back ..

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Did you fill up when you got coffee? If so, my first thought would be poor fuel, then a misfire on starting (reasonably common on my TS111 bike)

·
5 years +
162 Posts
Some codes don't show up on the Ride Command at all you'll need to have the Tech connect the laptop to check and clear the codes.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Yeah, I figured it wasn't something too serious since the light popped on after I had already stopped and cycled it back on. If it had happened while I was driving it probably I would have been a little more worried, but it ran great all the way home so... I'll check the diagnostics and see what comes up. thx
Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
60 Posts
After my 500 mile service I didn't get a check engine light but a chassis light (triangle with the exclamation point in the middle). Took it to the local Indian shop and they checked it out (no codes on computer) so they did a thorough check of the wiring and let me have it back. About 70 miles later I was riding and stopped for lunch, when I started it up to leave it came on again so I took to the Indian shop. Still no codes in the computer so they checked it out and reflashed the computer, haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is usually caused by the bike moving when you power up the bike. Bike does a self check as I understand it. Believe it usually because the wheel sensor that detects problem. I have had the light a hand full of times and every time i was getting on the bike or on a hill when i powered up the bike.
You can power down and back up and its gone. I have learned to start it on the start before getting on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is usually caused by the bike moving when you power up the bike. Bike does a self check as I understand it. Believe it usually because the wheel sensor that detects problem. I have had the light a hand full of times and every time i was getting on the bike or on a hill when i powered up the bike.
You can power down and back up and its gone. I have learned to start it on the start before getting on it.
Sounds like a problem to me, most likely a software glitch. I expected that. But I expect it to be fixed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don’t believe it’s a problem. The bike does a sensor check on initial power up and if the wheel is moving any it will show up as chassis fault as I understand it. Maybe something they can address with future updates but definitely not something to stop you from riding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got to give Coastal Indian here props! They worked with me very well. They called me twice and emailed me following up on my issue. Good people. So far so good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well anyway, I turned on the power, checked the diagnostics which was clear, and proceeded to start the motorcycle. Check engine light gone. I was so elated, that I wanted to take it for a short spin to make sure that the light didn’t pop up again. Like an idiot I forgot to remove the lock and chain from the front wheel. I popped the clutch and boom, down I went. Thank God for my crash bars, and thank God my wife didn’t see it happen. Then with my pride a little hurt, I unlocked my chain, picked up the bike, and proceeded with my test ride. Whew, looks like I don’t need a visit to the dealer just yet. Thx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts