Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said on another thread, I just got a new, 2019 Springfield. Already have over 700 MI on it and taking it in for the 500 this week.

I took it for a short ride, (60 miles round trip), Sunday evening. When we got back into town and had to slow down, hit stop signs, etc. I noticed a clatter when I accelerate. I thought maybe something loosened up and was vibrating. It seems to be the engine. Until that point, I hadn't heard it; it just kind of started.

Is this the clatter everybody talks about? Would higher octane fuel help? Should I be concerned about not accelerating too aggressively? As I see it, if there's an issue with the engine, now is the time to work it out. I'll mention it when I take it in this week. It seems strange that after putting a couple hundred miles on it Saturday, it only appeared in the last 10 miles I've ridden it.

Brian

·
Bronze member
2,237 Posts
Could be the gasoline. Either add a octane boost or drain and refill with 91 or better.

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
537 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but that’s about the same way my 2016 Roadmaster started with the clack (First oil change). I hope your dealer is better than mine was, as they were not supportive or helpful at all. Make sure it’s documented well by the dealership and don’t give up pushing the dealership to investigate the noise. My dealer started a case number/file with Polaris and now my fight with Polaris begins as my engine has developed major problems at less than 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but that’s about the same way my 2016 Roadmaster started with the clack (First oil change). I hope your dealer is better than mine was, as they were not supportive or helpful at all. Make sure it’s documented well by the dealership and don’t give up pushing the dealership to investigate the noise. My dealer started a case number/file with Polaris and now my fight with Polaris begins as my engine has developed major problems at less than 50,000 miles.
Sorry to hear that! You would think they would have the 111 refined to perfection by now.

·
Bronze member
2,237 Posts
Never use less than 91.
Been any rain the area? Water in the fuel tank caused my bike to knock and stutter. Flushed it & problem went away. Just trying to reduce the easiest possibilities, good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been any rain the area? Water in the fuel tank caused my bike to knock and stutter. Flushed it & problem went away. Just trying to reduce the easiest possibilities, good luck.
Appreciate the input. Nope, no rain. I'm in the Phoenix area. If I put bad gas in, I would have expected it to start sooner. This tankful is down to about a quarter tank.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you’re in Phoenix you might give Jeff a call at Indian V-Twin Performance and have him ride your bike/listen to the engine noise and give you an idea what he thinks. He’s rebuilding my engine now and really knows his stuff! Just a thought!

Reactions: KI7QVR

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may do that, depending on what the dealer says. The guys at Scottsdale Indian seem like a good bunch and seem willing to go the extra mile. Unlike that, "other", franchise dealership. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I had my bike at Scottsdale Indian and asked them to investigate the engine noise, they said it was fine! I wasn’t impressed.

·
Rider
944 Posts
I had my bike at Scottsdale Indian and asked them to investigate the engine noise, they said it was fine! I wasn’t impressed.
I bought my bike at Scottsdale and am getting less and less impressed with them everytime I go there and may move my business else where. I do know that my next bike will be from any other dealership but Scottsdale unless they do a 180 on how they treat their customers.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought my bike at Scottsdale and am getting less and less impressed with them everytime I go there and may move my business else where. I do know that my next bike will be from any other dealership but Scottsdale unless they do a 180 on how they treat their customers.
I'm surprised to hear that. You need to bring it up with management. From what I understand, the owner doesn't tolerate poor service or poor treatment of customers. Just run like hell from Chandler.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, we went for a ride last night. It was 99 degrees when we started out. I topped it off and put some octane booster in it. It never made the clacking sound. So far, so good..

·
Bronze member
1,818 Posts
So, we went for a ride last night. It was 99 degrees when we started out. I topped it off and put some octane booster in it. It never made the clacking sound. So far, so good..
Honestly, I pumped gas during the gas shortage of 72-73. I saw gas transferred from one tank to another by the owner. Pumping 91 doesn't mean 91 was in the tank. :oops:

·
Registered
10 Posts
As I said on another thread, I just got a new, 2019 Springfield. Already have over 700 MI on it and taking it in for the 500 this week.

I took it for a short ride, (60 miles round trip), Sunday evening. When we got back into town and had to slow down, hit stop signs, etc. I noticed a clatter when I accelerate. I thought maybe something loosened up and was vibrating. It seems to be the engine. Until that point, I hadn't heard it; it just kind of started.

Is this the clatter everybody talks about? Would higher octane fuel help? Should I be concerned about not accelerating too aggressively? As I see it, if there's an issue with the engine, now is the time to work it out. I'll mention it when I take it in this week. It seems strange that after putting a couple hundred miles on it Saturday, it only appeared in the last 10 miles I've ridden it.

Brian
My 2019 Springfield developed a rattle on acceleration shortly after purchase. The first dealer I took it to ( where i purchased the bike, tried saying it was normal) then said they couldn't hear anything. I took it to another dealer. After about 3 days of troubleshooting. Bingo.. The exhaust heat shields were misaligned from the factory and rubbing against each other creating a loud rattle during acceleration. Up to that point the possibility of it being exhaust related or internal was not ruled out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts