Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First chance to look, touch, sit on, and hear the Scout. Got some detail shots of the bike, too. Noted a couple of things. First love the bike and the look. Very low and light. Odd place for the ignition switch (at least to me). Didn't like the look of the clamp bolts for the bazooka pipes. Hopefully the optional pipes won't show this. Not much of a tool kit located behind the license tag bracket. Seat just pops off to get to the battery, no room for much else there. Threaded holes on the swing-arm are for the passenger pegs.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
A link to the sound of the engine revving a bit. They didn't want to rev too hard as the engine was not full of oil. Don't ask, I have no idea. Also there was a bit of buzzing from the license tag bracket.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
dlm, if you come from Rockville, you probably went to Chesapeake in Annapolis, just like I did. Place was jam packed.

Here's what I did learn:

1) Nobody knows anything. Spoke to dealer, dealer salesman, chief shop mechanic, even the Indian guy. This forum knows more than all of them put together. Don't these guys even take an idle moment when the store isn't busy to go on line and investigate their product line? Why, no; they don't. Neither does the other dealer I spoke to, Hernleys. None of the above, for example, even knew there is a copy of an owner's manual on line. Only the Indian guide had even heard of swept pipes on the way (even though Chesapeake's own web site has posted a brochure advertising swept pipes). None could say when we would see anything (even though that pdf brochure linked from their own web site says March). Nobody knows when the solo rack will appear. No one knows simple things such as alternator output. Spec sheets will come when the bike comes, they say. How do you farkle without knowing how much juice you have on hand? Wattage is elementary. What's more, even what you see may not be what you get. The Indian guys warned that the example bike in the parking lot is a prototype, so the final item may differ materially. The shop chief said he's still waiting for a date when he can go attend how-to school. Most important of all, nobody knows the warranty terms, other than what it says in the on-line manual. Frustrating ignorance. Mushrooms. You are to jump on impulse like a child reaching for a shiny toy.

2) Bike looks great. Solid, minimalist, sexy --- all except the bazooka pipes, which look way out of place.

3) Seat feels right, bars right, controls in reach. Ergos good. Weight low and light. Sound is a throaty rumble. OTOH, the rear header will burn your leg. Has a heat shield, but that doesn't do much. Peanut tank looks right at home. Frame bits holding the radiator and battery box are far less conspicuous in person. Anything you knock your knuckles against feels solid.

Here's where it left me:

a) The carrot luring one to pre-order is the five year warranty. A plaque I can live without. A five year warranty is attractive. Alas; the only warranty I see is the one in the manual posted on line. That warranty excludes everything a warranty ought to cover: all oiled parts, hydraulic components, bearings, engine components (you read that right -- engine components are specifically excluded from warranty [at this point the dealer salesman said "wait a minute, wait a minute ... the engine is EXCLUDED?" Yes.]), suspension, steering, electric, finished and unfinished surfaces........ About the only thing left under warranty is the frickin frame. Until someone can show me this five year warranty covers something needs covered, this carrot ain't worth the bite. Does not matter if it extends five years, ten, forty one, or just one; if it does not cover the engine then it does not cover stink. The final paperwork may be a different story. So show me.

b) The carrot luring me to wait and order later is swept pipes. It's the one finishing touch which would complete the appearance of this machine. That carrot starts looking mighty fresh and crispy. Well, that, and a solo rack would be useful as well. Pipes wait on the EPA. Indian keeps the rest a close secret.

c) What am I going to do with this shiny new toy between December arrival and March, when swept pipes are rumored, that's so all important I just can't wait? I'll have to get back to you on that one.

In brief:

What would a rational adult do?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice pics and mini write up dlm. I like it when people sit on a bike, it gives a good perspective of size. Excellent pics and some info that many of us haven't seen in any write ups (tool kit, seat off, pegs for the passenger, etc). Nice job! I get a look at the end of the month (September) of what my deposit is buying me. "Stay patient my friends."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't like the pipes either and the warranty is definitely an issue. If the terms aren't cleared up and it is not comprehensive, well they did say the deposit was refundable. I'm also a bit miffed that they said delivery would be October when I made the deposit and now are saying December.

The ignorance of the people working there doesn't surprise me. My experience has been that every motorcycle dealership is crap. Every. Last. One. Some just don't stink so bad some days as others.

Finally, I agree, that damn pipe does get hot! I brushed the pipe getting off.

Macback.jpg

That is my leg after sitting on the bike and it had only idled for a couple of minutes!

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
dlm, if you come from rockville, you probably went to chesapeake in annapolis, just like i did. Place was jam packed.

Here's what i did learn:

1) nobody knows anything. Spoke to dealer, dealer salesman, chief shop mechanic, even the indian guy. This forum knows more than all of them put together. Don't these guys even take an idle moment when the store isn't busy to go on line and investigate their product line? Why, no; they don't. Neither does the other dealer i spoke to, hernleys. None of the above, for example, even knew there is a copy of an owner's manual on line. Only the indian guide had even heard of swept pipes on the way (even though chesapeake's own web site has posted a brochure advertising swept pipes). None could say when we would see anything (even though that pdf brochure linked from their own web site says march). Nobody knows when the solo rack will appear. No one knows simple things such as alternator output. Spec sheets will come when the bike comes, they say. How do you farkle without knowing how much juice you have on hand? Wattage is elementary. What's more, even what you see may not be what you get. The indian guys warned that the example bike in the parking lot is a prototype, so the final item may differ materially. The shop chief said he's still waiting for a date when he can go attend how-to school. Most important of all, nobody knows the warranty terms, other than what it says in the on-line manual. Frustrating ignorance. Mushrooms. You are to jump on impulse like a child reaching for a shiny toy.

2) bike looks great. Solid, minimalist, sexy --- all except the bazooka pipes, which look way out of place.

3) seat feels right, bars right, controls in reach. Ergos good. Weight low and light. Sound is a throaty rumble. Otoh, the rear header will burn your leg. Has a heat shield, but that doesn't do much. Peanut tank looks right at home. Frame bits holding the radiator and battery box are far less conspicuous in person. Anything you knock your knuckles against feels solid.

Here's where it left me:

A) the carrot luring one to pre-order is the five year warranty. A plaque i can live without. A five year warranty is attractive. Alas; the only warranty i see is the one in the manual posted on line. That warranty excludes everything a warranty ought to cover: All oiled parts, hydraulic components, bearings, engine components (you read that right -- engine components are specifically excluded from warranty [at this point the dealer salesman said "wait a minute, wait a minute ... The engine is excluded?" yes.]), suspension, steering, electric, finished and unfinished surfaces........ About the only thing left under warranty is the frickin frame. Until someone can show me this five year warranty covers something needs covered, this carrot ain't worth the bite. Does not matter if it extends five years, ten, forty one, or just one; if it does not cover the engine then it does not cover stink. The final paperwork may be a different story. So show me.

B) the carrot luring me to wait and order later is swept pipes. It's the one finishing touch which would complete the appearance of this machine. That carrot starts looking mighty fresh and crispy. Well, that, and a solo rack would be useful as well. Pipes wait on the epa. Indian keeps the rest a close secret.

C) what am i going to do with this shiny new toy between december arrival and march, when swept pipes are rumored, that's so all important i just can't wait? I'll have to get back to you on that one.

In brief:

What would a rational adult do?
killjoy! :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took closer at the warranty. I'm not a lawyer, but I'll play one on this blog. Maybe a real lawyer can chime in.

The long list of items at the end are only excluded if the failure is caused by "any other cause than a defect in materials or workmanship". They provide no coverage for any part exposed to friction surfaces (I assume pavement, etc.), environmental conditions and/or contamination, "for which they were not designed or not intended". So, as long as the bike is used as intended not abused, and maintained according to the manual all the parts listed are covered under the warranty.

It is also the same language used on the the other bikes Indian makes.

I'll take five years of this warranty.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just took closer at the warranty. I'm not a lawyer, but I'll play one on this blog. Maybe a real lawyer can chime in.

The long list of items at the end are only excluded if the failure is caused by "any other cause than a defect in materials or workmanship". They provide no coverage for any part exposed to friction surfaces (I assume pavement, etc.), environmental conditions and/or contamination, "for which they were not designed or not intended". So, as long as the bike is used as intended not abused, and maintained according to the manual all the parts listed are covered under the warranty.

It is also the same language used on the the other bikes Indian makes.

I'll take five years of this warranty.
Thanks for the clarification dlm. Sounds much better!
...MDHawk2

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
a) The carrot luring one to pre-order is the five year warranty. A plaque I can live without. A five year warranty is attractive. Alas; the only warranty I see is the one in the manual posted on line. That warranty excludes everything a warranty ought to cover: all oiled parts, hydraulic components, bearings, engine components (you read that right -- engine components are specifically excluded from warranty [at this point the dealer salesman said "wait a minute, wait a minute ... the engine is EXCLUDED?" Yes.]), suspension, steering, electric, finished and unfinished surfaces........ About the only thing left under warranty is the frickin frame. Until someone can show me this five year warranty covers something needs covered, this carrot ain't worth the bite. Does not matter if it extends five years, ten, forty one, or just one; if it does not cover the engine then it does not cover stink. The final paperwork may be a different story. So show me.
Web, you may want to re-read that section of the warranty. What it says is that it doesn't cover damage caused by abuse, accident, fire, or any other cause other than defects in materials or workmanship, and doesn't cover consumables, general wear items, or any parts exposed to friction surfaces, stresses, environmental conditions and/or contamination for which they were not designed or not intended, including but not limited to ... (big long list of parts)

What that tells me is that the parts on the list are covered as far as defects in workmanship and materials goes, but not for abuse, misuse, user modifications, etc. Pretty much like any other vehicle warranty in the world.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Ouch! I assume you were wearing shorts?
Mighta tried removing your leg before it blistered. Just a thot. I was wearing shorts. Didn't get burnt that bad. But you can sure see how you will need to develop the habit of swinging your right leg wide. That heat shield doesn't shield much heat.

I'll take and study that warranty bit some more.
I have been wrong before. I'll print it out to study.
Swept exhaust is still a game changer for me.
If I could reserve with that, I'd be more in love.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well I printed out the manual and i read that page 105 eighty six and seven eighths times and the one firm conclusion I can come to is I hate lawyers. But I am sure that's only me. Every one else prolly loves and adores the worthless rat bastids.

Going to bed. Hit this tomorrow.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have to believe that a "5 year warranty" is exactly that, a warranty covering defects in workmanship, recalls, etc. If I drop the bike I wouldn't expect it to be covered under a warranty, however if a year down the road my instrument cluster fails than I expect Indian to replace it.

Buying a brand new model of anything is risky business and I agree that I might be purchasing a bike that is less than fully tested (ouch on the burn dlm). Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Indian (Polaris) to believe they'll stand behind the bike. That said, mostly what I'm hearing from early adopters of the Chief, when they took the risk, it was well worth it.

Good points from everybody. It's why I'm on this forum. To learn, hear others points of view and to hopefully stay informed and provide any news I can find regarding my experience with Indian.

My occasional dumb ass opinions might get in the way of my common sense more often than I want to admit... :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I never ride in shorts. That day I was just "trying it on". They had just run it up to let us hear the sound and shut it off when I sat down. It only touch for a second, but that was all it too. Didn't blister up until about an hour after the touch. Funny thing is it never really hurt except for a second or two when it happened.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In regards to the warrantee it does cover everything. Have the same warrantee on my Vintage. They are just protecting themselves from guys like me who want to hot rod a bike. I you break the bike down and build a custom, which they know some people will do, and if the motor fails because of parts you put into the bike then of course they wouldn't cover it.

In regards to the dealerships not knowing much... I have found that too. Most guys working there don't know the history of Indian or what they really have in there hands. This is because Indian and it's history was never part of their lives. There are Indian dealerships right now, not "Indian Shops". That will take time, but it will come. It's already starting with the 3rd party custom shops like Loydz, Conquest and Dirty Bird. I read somewhere that all three of these guys have Scouts on order. Just received a reply from Dirty Bird that they will be making pipes for the Scout. We must all be patient, which is difficult especially form a nut like me...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts