Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, a sunny afternoon and I took the opportunity for a couple of hours on the Scout Sixty. Now that it's done over 400 miles I've been taking the revs higher occasionally, and getting a better idea of what this bike's going to be like. So far, I have no regrets about this purchase.
Front suspension: I haven't been troubled by fork-dive at all. So, either my previous bikes have been worse than I realised, or any problems have been addressed.
Rear suspension: although I can feel some bumps, I've driven it hard over a variety of surfaces, and on most it rides very smoothly, with no noticeable bottoming out. Again, either my previous bikes were worse than I realised, or any problems have been addressed.
Speedo: the numbers are very dimly lit, making it hard to read at night; however, judging by my satnav/gps, it's the most accurate speedo I've ever had - at legal speeds anyway.
Ground clearance: is a little less than I expected: I haven't quite worked out where to put my feet on the pegs to stop my boots scraping on sharp turns.
Tyres: the Kendas seem fine to me in the dry and I've not had problems in heavy rain; but on damp roads they slide like other tyres do when they need replacing; I anticipate changing them to Pirellis or Michelins.
Fuel consumption: both full tanks have returned 54 mpg, giving a theoretical range of 150 miles with mixed riding.
Acceleration: there is plenty; overtaking is easy at any speed in double digits. I have accidentally turned the throttle all the way (not to full revs) a few times, but I think that's only because the throttle movement is less than on my previous bikes
Vibration: this bike is amazingly smooth below about 4500 rpm, making cruising at speeds up to 85mph very relaxing; and really, there's no need to take it above that to accelerate. Above 5000rpm, I can feel some buzz-type vibration through the saddle, and then the bars - not a problem if you want to use those revs for acceleration, although there seems little point in doing so - but I guess it could get tiring if you wanted to cruise at 90mph or more.
Finish: this is a little disappointing: the paint on the right side of the tank seems scuffed already, presumably where my knee touches; there is also a place on the headlight where the brake cable has worn the paint through to the metal, which seems to be because of the routing of the ABS cable.
So, the disappointments are few and the joys are many. I'll be booking in for the 500 mile service, and looking forward to the many miles ahead.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Ground clearance: is a little less than I expected: I haven't quite worked out where to put my feet on the pegs to stop my boots scraping on sharp turns
Boot heels are my curb feelers.
Now that I have floor boards, they have a touch bolt on the bottom rear.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
At last, a sunny afternoon and I took the opportunity for a couple of hours on the Scout Sixty. Now that it's done over 400 miles I've been taking the revs higher occasionally, and getting a better idea of what this bike's going to be like. So far, I have no regrets about this purchase.
Front suspension: I haven't been troubled by fork-dive at all. So, either my previous bikes have been worse than I realised, or any problems have been addressed.
Rear suspension: although I can feel some bumps, I've driven it hard over a variety of surfaces, and on most it rides very smoothly, with no noticeable bottoming out. Again, either my previous bikes were worse than I realised, or any problems have been addressed.
Speedo: the numbers are very dimly lit, making it hard to read at night; however, judging by my satnav/gps, it's the most accurate speedo I've ever had - at legal speeds anyway.
Ground clearance: is a little less than I expected: I haven't quite worked out where to put my feet on the pegs to stop my boots scraping on sharp turns.
Tyres: the Kendas seem fine to me in the dry and I've not had problems in heavy rain; but on damp roads they slide like other tyres do when they need replacing; I anticipate changing them to Pirellis or Michelins.
Fuel consumption: both full tanks have returned 54 mpg, giving a theoretical range of 150 miles with mixed riding.
Acceleration: there is plenty; overtaking is easy at any speed in double digits. I have accidentally turned the throttle all the way (not to full revs) a few times, but I think that's only because the throttle movement is less than on my previous bikes
Vibration: this bike is amazingly smooth below about 4500 rpm, making cruising at speeds up to 85mph very relaxing; and really, there's no need to take it above that to accelerate. Above 5000rpm, I can feel some buzz-type vibration through the saddle, and then the bars - not a problem if you want to use those revs for acceleration, although there seems little point in doing so - but I guess it could get tiring if you wanted to cruise at 90mph or more.
Finish: this is a little disappointing: the paint on the right side of the tank seems scuffed already, presumably where my knee touches; there is also a place on the headlight where the brake cable has worn the paint through to the metal, which seems to be because of the routing of the ABS cable.
So, the disappointments are few and the joys are many. I'll be booking in for the 500 mile service, and looking forward to the many miles ahead.
Hi Graham, Hey good report!

Ground clearance: that's interesting. I have yet in over 10,000 miles to discover just how low can you go in a tight corner with my Scout. And there has been one or two occasions when I thought, this will be the time! But, no nothing.

Vibration: so you feel it too. That makes me happy to know it's not just my bike. I thought that perhaps it had a problem but your description dispells that for me.

Finish: agree with you there too only my ABS cable was wearing a mark on the left side of the front fender/guard ( fender added for those that don't speak the Queens English very well at all, ain't that right Guys!)
Gentle re-routing fixed that problem.

Acceleration: I am constantly amazed at the rapidity of this bike and sometimes purposely hold the throttle longer than is needed simply for the sheer buzz of cracking over 100 miles when overtaking or getting rid of that pesky little cager that follows too close.

Suspension: I was getting seasick with my. Suspension diving up and down so fitted Ikon. Springs in the front and added some especially made spacers for my rears shocks and also increased their travel. Have had no topping out of the rears and only bottomed once through my own stupidity.

Speedo: lights are find for me. In fact very bright at night. Maybe we have less pollution here in Burtland?

Tyres: The Kenda's reminded me of a Simon and Garfunckle song, slip sliding away so after 5,000 miles I put on my favourite aftermarket tyre, Continental Milestones. The difference was immediate. Confidence in the bike returned in a heartbeat.

Fuel Consumption: very impressive ( when I behave) 62 MPH on a long haul. You should get something similar once run in. And it needs to be with a fuel tank smaller than my 1997 VS 800 Intruder! I get 140-150 miles from the Scout as opposed to 103 -112 from " Gertruda".

So thanks for the update. Time to clock up some more miles Buddy!
Alpal

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Reactions: nadzilla

·
10,006 Posts
Pic Ronnie?
The bolt is on the rear outside edge looks like a 6mm Allen head bolt.
Make a perfect touch down for the floor board.
No other reason for it to be there so that must be it's purpose and it is ground down quite a bit.

When it get's more worn, I will replace it.
Other side shows less wear than the left side.
Not going to trudge through wet snow to the shed to take a new picture of the bolt. LOL!

Floor board and shifter.jpg

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
No other reason for it to be there so that must be it's purpose and it is ground down quite a bit.

Not going to trudge through wet snow to the shed to take a new picture of the bolt. LOL!

View attachment 29178
Steph says I'm afraid to get my hands wet cos I don't help with the dishes!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View attachment 29178
I like the look of that set up: foot boards and a heel and toe gear change - reminds me of the Guzzi Calis I had; it's good to be able to move your feet around a bit on long trips, and not to wear out the top of your left boot! I guess it reduces ground clearance a little more though?

·
Registered
128 Posts
From a soon to be scout 60 owner I really want to thank you for your personal reviews along with the bike. It gives me really good insight on what I can expect from the bike!

·
10,006 Posts
I guess it reduces ground clearance a little more though?
It does, but it is only a reminder when it hits down that I'm getting close to the pavement.
You kind of get used to it touching down and don't pay much attention to it sometimes, it just raises your foot up a little when the floorboard raises up after contact.
Makes the scrapping noise too!

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Am sure my Scout would still be Running fine if had left it totally alone with the exception of perhaps the Battery I just replaced .. But the 5K I spent making it my own in Speed and Comfort was well worth the cost to me .. Regardless Enjoy your Scout and Welcome to the Club of Scout Riders ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
That foot board looks good. I have a silver foot board to my bike. I am thinking of changing it now.
Can anyone tell me from where I can get the quality foot board.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That foot board looks good. I have a silver foot board to my bike. I am thinking of changing it now.
Can anyone tell me from where I can get the quality foot board.
I haven't got any yet for my Scout, but here's one that others on this forum recommend: Aeromach Indian Scout Rider Boards
If you have highway bars, you may want to do some research to ensure the boards won't obstruct those, or vice versa. Hope that helps.

·
10,006 Posts
I haven't got any yet for my Scout, but here's one that others on this forum recommend: Aeromach Indian Scout Rider Boards
If you have highway bars, you may want to do some research to ensure the boards won't obstruct those, or vice versa. Hope that helps.
They do not interfere with anything, I have the Aeromachs originally with the OEM engine guards and then with the Black powder coated Aeromach guards.
Sold the OEM guards to a member....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts