Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collected my red Scout Sixty this afternoon and rode the 25 miles home. It is even better than I remembered from the test ride. The screen and rack aren't in yet, but I wasn't sorry that my first ride on it was without any accessories. Looking forward to getting it run in so that I can really open it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Collected my red Scout Sixty this afternoon and rode the 25 miles home. It is even better than I remembered from the test ride. The screen and rack aren't in yet, but I wasn't sorry that my first ride on it was without any accessories. Looking forward to getting it run in so that I can really open it up.
Keep us posted on your bike!!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
congrats and enjoy!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Graham, there are some good roads for biking down there in the broad shires. You'll have some fun.
I'll be interested to learn from you and from other UK owners how the Scout and Scout 60 are on the average Ill maintained, windy and overcrowded British roads. Is the suspension okay? Many American riders complain about it not having enough travel, but as every European knows, they're all incredibly overweight over there. Will it go round corners, or do you have to get off and wheel it round like you do with Harleys? Does the tank hold enough to get from one filling station to another now the oil companies have driven the independents out of business?
Your answers will clear up my remaining reservations (the introduction of the 60 removed the major stalling point) and persuade me to buy that beautiful bike.
Keep on posting.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Graham, there are some good roads for biking down there in the broad shires. You'll have some fun.
I'll be interested to learn from you and from other UK owners how the Scout and Scout 60 are on the average Ill maintained, windy and overcrowded British roads. Is the suspension okay? Many American riders complain about it not having enough travel, but as every European knows, they're all incredibly overweight over there. Will it go round corners, or do you have to get off and wheel it round like you do with Harleys? Does the tank hold enough to get from one filling station to another now the oil companies have driven the independents out of business?
Your answers will clear up my remaining reservations (the introduction of the 60 removed the major stalling point) and persuade me to buy that beautiful bike.
Keep on posting.
Thorn, you'll just have to get one ... you know it makes sense!
(BTW the sixty cracked it for me too)

·
Rider
881 Posts
@Thorn , Although I have a Chief, I've had two test rides on the larger Scout and it handled very nicely - despite me being moderately overweight. The first ride was accompanied, so I didn't really take it where I wanted to go, but did have a short run on urban roads, country roads and a dual carriageway. The second ride was mostly on country lanes, and was on the roads I wanted to try a bike out on. Both rides were on dry, sunny days.

I didn't notice the suspension bottoming out at any point, and Oxfordshire County Council can hold its head up with the best of 'em as far as not maintaining roads goes.

I did need to fuel the Scout on the second test ride, but the Scout's shorter range than the Chief was a very, very minor consideration when it came to it.

Have a test ride and take your cheque book!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep on posting.
Well, you have to take the opportunities while they're there so, in spite of the rain and slime, I took the Scout Sixty out for its next 125 miles today, with a friend riding along on his VFR 1200.
I filled up before I began and the fuel light still hadn't come on by the time I got home. That's good enough for me (because I'm running it in, I didn't hammer it, but I wasn't hanging around either).
I was careful round corners because the tyres are new and I've heard they're poor; I had no hint of a problem in spite of the foul weather. In fact, I had real fun running down twisty single lane roads, dodging the gravel washed down the hills by the rain.
The suspension felt fine to me. I'm not used to being wafted over rough roads, so although I could feel a slight jolt over sharp bumps, I didn't find it uncomfortable.
When I sat on a Scout before riding one, I thought I might need the reduced reach bars; and during the test ride I wondered about reduced reach pegs. To my surprise, I found the slight lean forward perfect when riding, and I didn't even think about the wind on my legs on stretches of fast dual carriageways.
I was also pleased to have enough power for swift overtakes on A-roads (I gather it's good to use an occasional brief burst of power, even when running in).
So, any reservations I had have been swept away by a delightful ride in ghastly weather. Of course, I gave it a gentle wash and blow dry when I got home; the bottom of the radiator seems partial to bits of UK countryside, but it seems easier than most bikes to clean, and the mudguards do a good job.
If I were you, I'd go for a test ride, and take your cheque book with you!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what rack are you getting Graham? Was wondering re. tank range, the rack could carry a small fuel flask when needed.
Hi Davy. I'm getting the regular chrome rack that Indian make for the Scout; I'd have got it in black to match the bars if that had been available, but this way it'll match the exhaust, and probably be more durable. I'll be interested to see if it will take a top box for overnight trips - not cool, but very practical; in any case, it'll certainly take a fuel flask.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts