Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my first 1000 miles on my new-to-me 2016 Chief Vintage. The majority of these miles were ridden with my friend who rides a Heritage Classic. Here are a few things I noticed....
1) The Indian gets a TON of attention. It's rare that I get fuel or make any stop without someone commenting on the beauty of the bike. I expected some attention (it is a beautiful bike, after all) but the actual amount has far exceeded what I expected.
2) To my surprise, the Harley guys accept an Indian with open arms (we did a Harley group ride last week). I expected it to be similar to how they view imported bikes (apathetic) but it seems most Harley guys love Indians, too. In fact, most people that approach the bike (when I'm stopped) ride Harleys
3) MANY people have an Indian story. Whether it was their Grandpa's or Uncle's or whatever. I can see that it stirs up good memories and they are happy to see an Indian still on the road.
4) The public is way less aware of them that we are. IE, as an owner, I know the models, colors, etc of what's out there and my bike is somewhat "common" in the Indian world. But, in the general public, it is very unique. Even though I've seen 100 willow green and cream Indians, most people who I talk to, it's the first and only they've ever seen. In fact, one lady said she saw my bike in Dallas 2 years ago (she even showed me a picture). Haha.
5) The Indian corners WAY better than my friend's Heritage Classic. I hear the Heritage scrape going around most corners. So far, I've only scraped once.
6) The Indian has significantly more power than the Heritage. I should note that my bike is completely stock except for some slip-on exhaust. In fairness, the Heritage is older (88 cubic inch) but it's been stroked, bored, cammed, high flow intake/exhaust, and tuned. But, power-wise, they aren't even close.
7) I'm REALLY looking forward to my next 1000 miles.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got my 15 RM new in Aug 15. I love the bike & have 32k on the odometer. I’m still amazed how many people compliment me still on this Indian. My favorite ones are when guys ask me if it’s an old bike like I guess they think it’s from the 50’s. The bike has been so dependable with just a few issues that were either recalls or common warranty repairs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a fellow walk up to me once at a gas station to tell me I did a hell of a job restoring my Indian. He looked at me in disbelief when I told him it was a 2014 model year. He was certain the bike was from the late '40s or early '50s.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I am currently stationed in Germany. I am fairly certain that I have the only Willow Green/Cream Roadmaster in the Bavaria area, with the only other one that I have seen being a Roadmaster Classic, also owned by an American. When I went to the Indian Riders' Fest in CZ last year, which drew riders in from all over Europe, there were FOUR Indians in WG/C. Whenever I go out for a ride, all the kids stop and stare, and people take pictures.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am currently stationed in Germany. I am fairly certain that I have the only Willow Green/Cream Roadmaster in the Bavaria area, with the only other one that I have seen being a Roadmaster Classic, also owned by an American. When I went to the Indian Riders' Fest in CZ last year, which drew riders in from all over Europe, there were FOUR Indians in WG/C. Whenever I go out for a ride, all the kids stop and stare, and people take pictures.
This is awesome!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just completed my first 1000 miles on my new-to-me 2016 Chief Vintage. The majority of these miles were ridden with my friend who rides a Heritage Classic. Here are a few things I noticed....
1) The Indian gets a TON of attention. It's rare that I get fuel or make any stop without someone commenting on the beauty of the bike. I expected some attention (it is a beautiful bike, after all) but the actual amount has far exceeded what I expected.
2) To my surprise, the Harley guys accept an Indian with open arms (we did a Harley group ride last week). I expected it to be similar to how they view imported bikes (apathetic) but it seems most Harley guys love Indians, too. In fact, most people that approach the bike (when I'm stopped) ride Harleys
3) MANY people have an Indian story. Whether it was their Grandpa's or Uncle's or whatever. I can see that it stirs up good memories and they are happy to see an Indian still on the road.
4) The public is way less aware of them that we are. IE, as an owner, I know the models, colors, etc of what's out there and my bike is somewhat "common" in the Indian world. But, in the general public, it is very unique. Even though I've seen 100 willow green and cream Indians, most people who I talk to, it's the first and only they've ever seen. In fact, one lady said she saw my bike in Dallas 2 years ago (she even showed me a picture). Haha.
5) The Indian corners WAY better than my friend's Heritage Classic. I hear the Heritage scrape going around most corners. So far, I've only scraped once.
6) The Indian has significantly more power than the Heritage. I should note that my bike is completely stock except for some slip-on exhaust. In fairness, the Heritage is older (88 cubic inch) but it's been stroked, bored, cammed, high flow intake/exhaust, and tuned. But, power-wise, they aren't even close.
Thanks for reading.
I bought my 15 Chieftain back last October,after riding just a few blocks down the road a lady at the traffic light rolled her window down and said that sure is a good looking motorcycle your riding.I often get compliments,however,I do get some ribbing from my friends who ride other brands 9especially the HD guys)-I just laugh.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I receive similar comments and attention when out on the "Horse". Although, there are quite a few Indians in the OKC area...?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you are a rider or just love bikes, you have to appreciate the beauty of this bike. Many people will approach me and say "You know, I don't really care for or notice motorcycles too much, but that is beautiful". My wife has liked every bike we've owned, but this one is definitely a bigger source of pride with her. I mean, come on, look at it. These are beautiful machines.

·
Rider
442 Posts
I get the attention of strangers virtually every time I ride my 17 Springfield. People who probably have never used the word "motorcycle" in a sentence in their lives will walk across a parking lot just to tell me what beautiful motorcycle
I have. As noted lots of folks have no idea that Indians are still being made. I stop at the local HD dealership once in while for coffee and wander their showroom. I've had several of their salespeople tell me what gorgeous bike it is {but don't tell the boss I said so}.

(y)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
My first Indian was a 2016 Vintage just like yours. I absolutely loved it. I traded it only yesterday for a 2019 RM. I love the new RM just as much, but I know it will never get the head-turning attention my Vintage got. There's something about the Vintage no other bike (IMO) has.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I think the Vintage in Willow/Green is the most striking bike on the road apart from fully tricked out customs. Even without knowing anything of the heritage of it people see that blend of history and design standing out from the crowd.

There are not a lot of Indians on the road around my city and my Springfield DH is almost invisible to most people. I think the matte black blends into the matrix or something and in just over two years I could probably count all comments on my fingers.

When I bought a 2016 Scout in Indian red with tan leather saddle bags I got comments from people everywhere I pulled up. The most common comment was along the lines of, 'I know this is a funny thing to say about a motorbike but that bike is really pretty.'

Enjoy the next 1000 miles, and the next, and the one after that ... ?

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
Thanks for reading.
Not trolling but I’d like to make a few points about your points.
#5. That 88 heritage is at least 14 years old, has terrible suspension and is lower than your vintage. Of course it’s going to scrape more.
#6. Find someone with an M8 heritage to compare power and handling then you’ll have a comparable modern bike to compare yours against. I think you’ll be surprised. Enjoy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not trolling but I’d like to make a few points about your points.
#5. That 88 heritage is at least 14 years old, has terrible suspension and is lower than your vintage. Of course it’s going to scrape more.
#6. Find someone with an M8 heritage to compare power and handling then you’ll have a comparable modern bike to compare yours against. I think you’ll be surprised. Enjoy.
Fair points

1 - 20 of 38 Posts