Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a variety of motorcycles for 37 years. I recently bought a 2016 Scout, & it has the firmest clutch of any bike I've owned. I seem to be developing arthritis in my hands, making it painful to operate such a firm clutch. After doing some research, it appears that I'm not the only one complaining about the clutch of Indian motorcycles. I was wondering if anyone has discussed this with any Indian personnel.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Don't know about discussions, but I do know the clutch should have very little slack. I also have to use neutral at long stops, instead of holding clutch in gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had the same issue and had luck with the following 2 solutions:

1) Make sure the cable is routed as straight as possible with as few bends as possible.
2) For me this is more important... Where the cable attaches down on the engine there is a silver arm (sorry I do not know the technical name of it), that arm is most likely rotated too far back. Every time I go in for service they rotate it back. Every time I get it back I rotate it forward but only a very small amount (it has to be removed, rotated then put back on). You will have to play with it to see what works best for you but for me it is usually 1/8" or slightly more. Takes about 5 minutes and then the clutch cable needs to be tightened using the adjustment under the rubber boot on the frame. It sounds harder than it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts