Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new issue of Cycle World today. Lo and behold, there is a full review with measured performance data. Overall, very favorable from the tester and three editors. I am a little surprised the bike didn't post better numbers, as I have ridden a Scout several times, and felt it was faster than this test indicated. 1/4 mile 12.24 [email protected] mph. 0-60 was 3.7, 0-100 was 9.5 sec. Top speed was 126 mph. Don't get me wrong, these are numbers good enough to make the bike entertaining and exciting, but don't pick in a Ninja 600 or any sport bike. Anybody else surprised?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I sure am surprised! I rode the Scout for several rides recently, and it pushed me back every time. 0-100 in 9.5 sec. is awfully slow to me, based on how I was up past 60 in second gear, just getting on the throttle a bit. I couldn't believe the power and speed! I dislike these numbers, and I think it is MUCH faster than that. However, I can't be too upset, since, to me, it doesn't matter what they say if I like it. Also, I probably won't ever go that fast that quickly anyhow. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just received my new issue of Cycle World today. Lo and behold, there is a full review with measured performance data. Overall, very favorable from the tester and three editors. I am a little surprised the bike didn't post better numbers, as I have ridden a Scout several times, and felt it was faster than this test indicated. 1/4 mile 12.24 [email protected] mph. 0-60 was 3.7, 0-100 was 9.5 sec. Top speed was 126 mph. Don't get me wrong, these are numbers good enough to make the bike entertaining and exciting, but don't pick in a Ninja 600 or any sport bike. Anybody else surprised?
That's funny! In the day, these numbers were faster than my first Ninja 600R.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The current Ninja 600 runs the 1/4 in the 10's @ 120+mph if I'm remembering test results correctly. Most riders aren't skilled enough to safely utilize performance like that, which makes the Scout a safer and more useful package. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The current Ninja 600 runs the 1/4 in the 10's @ 120+mph if I'm remembering test results correctly. Most riders aren't skilled enough to safely utilize performance like that, which makes the Scout a safer and more useful package. Just sayin'.
Exactly. I'm just fine with 12's

Interestingly, according to these figures, it would be a tight race with my '68 Mustang. Hmmm....

·
Registered
468 Posts
You know...
Considering the present circumstances, Polaris/Indian's decision to design, build, market and produce the Scout is actually an extremely
logical move that tells me that Polaris has some smart business sense. The goal with this Scout's architecture is to appeal to the masses
while the Chief series is niche and specialized, catering to a very specific market. It's going to be the Scout that rolls in the dough for Indian.

What will be interesting to see is the unit sales figures for both bikes following their first year in production. I am willing to bet the Scout is
going to yield a higher unit sales number. I still see sportier more powerful Scouts in the future that will appeal to their respective target market segment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts