Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the wife and I along with the two dogs are on vacation, we left this morning in the packed sidecar rig. We left Reinbeck, Ia around 9 this morning and arrived at the KOA in Grand Island, Nebraska at 530pm. My shoulders are beat. The rig pulls to the right and is a pretty constant fight. I'm getting quite the workout. Was worried that the dogs might overheat, but the inside of the rig is drafting the hot air out. Wife and dogs are enjoying their first long bike and camping trip. They have never been, let only in a teepee.
Tomorrow we should be in Scott's bluff and are staying at the national park there.

·
Founding member / rider
883 Posts
A properly set up side car rig when traveling in a straight line at normal cruising speed should not pull right or left. When slowing down, it will pull left and just the opposite when speeding up. As the load in the side car gets heavier, a slight pull to the right will be noticed. BTW, you have a beautiful rig. Perhaps a bit of tweeking on the set up is in order.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If it is going to be a dedicated sidecar rig I would get a raked triple tree to mimic power steering. That would help ease the stress on your upper body.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A properly set up side car rig when traveling in a straight line at normal cruising speed should not pull right or left. When slowing down, it will pull left and just the opposite when speeding up. As the load in the side car gets heavier, a slight pull to the right will be noticed. BTW, you have a beautiful rig. Perhaps a bit of tweeking on the set up is in order.
Yep........

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made it too Scott's Bluff Monday along with agate dinosaur preserve then out to Custer State Park where the wife got to be within 10 foot from a family of buffalo. After that we got to go through 1 hour of thunderstorms with 1" hail, luckily I had brought along a 5x7 canvas tarp that we hid under till it was over.
Today we went to Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore and all through the black hills on the way to Sturgis then into Deadwood to eat and look around. At Deadwood KOA for the nite.
Tomorrow heading to Devils Tower then????? Any bodies guess.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is cool, well not the hail but everything else sounds like fun. On my vacation my dumb ass rode through a few thunderstorms. I guess I left my brain at home when I packed and left lol. Enjoy the trip Sturgis is something that I think everyone that rides should see twice. Once for the rally and once when it is not going on to see all the stuff you miss at the rally.

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from Devils Tower and a trip to the southeast side of Montana. This area is some of the most beautiful I've seen in a long while. Temp is great, not to hot, not to cold at nite.
Going through the Badlands and Wall tomorrow, then the long trip back to Iowa.
Write again tomorrow, an when we get back I'll upload some of the 400+ pix we've taken

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from Devils Tower and a trip to the southeast side of Montana. This area is some of the most beautiful I've seen in a long while. Temp is great, not to hot, not to cold at nite.
Going through the Badlands and Wall tomorrow, then the long trip back to Iowa.
Write again tomorrow, an when we get back I'll upload some of the 400+ pix we've taken

Reactions: clif02

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went through the badlands (damn that area is beautiful) wouldn't want to live there though.
Went to Wall, SD after the Badlands, that there is a tourist-trap if I ever saw one. Had a good time all the same.
Heading to Spirt Lake tomorrow, I know we want get to do a tour, but can least see where Serenity was made and may find a campground close.

Reactions: clif02 and gina

·
Registered
802 Posts
The badlands are gorgeous, I say they look like something from another planet. Agree with Wall-drug big trap but some times being and acting like a touron (tourist moron) is a blast.

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
image.jpg
PS. Bogie the dog has pulled more girls, ladies, women in 6 days then I could've in 5 lifetimes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will's wife sent this pic to my wife their 1st day out, so everyone can see the teepee. It's more work than a 'normal' tent to set up and take down, especially every day, but it gets easier after you do it a couple times, at least that's what my wife has found with ours. Haha
IMG_5143.jpg

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to the, "Little House On The Prairie, Laura Ingalls place" today up in De Smet then down to Sioux Falls SD.
Staying at the KOA there.
Tomorrow we are off to Spirit Lake where Indian Motorcycle is made then home. Serenity has performed flawlessly from Iowa through Nebraska, into the black hills of South Dakota, up to northern Wyoming and southern Montana, then all through the Badlands and back to southeastern South Dakota, all while dragging a sidecar and dogs. I'm a pretty pleased individual with the purchase of this fine motorcycle. Every gas station is a 45 minute ordeal to leave. People can't get enough of the bike with the dogs.
Looking forward to next years trip, just have to figure out when and where to go.

Reactions: A-58

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PS:
Here's a couple of pix for the day

image.jpg
image.jpg

He is such a ham for the camera

Reactions: WildEyeWheel

·
Registered
802 Posts
He is a cutie I can see why the ladies are drawn to him. I would be wanting to pet him, although I always ask a owner first as I know some dogs are not to keen on being petted by strangers.

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Made our final stops yesterday at Polaris manufacturing
image.jpg

Then to the local brewery in Reinbeck where we live.

image.jpg

Bogie and Boo said they'd buy us a beer because they had such a great time on the trip riding shotgun in the sidecar
image.jpg

Made it home in time to go to a friends anniversary party, then came home around 8pm where we all died out before 10pm. The dogs didn't even want to get up to eat.

Reactions: WildEyeWheel
1 - 20 of 23 Posts