Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my red Indian Chief Classic yesterday afternoon at Indian Motorcycles of Charlotte. I am not sure what to say but WOW!
Let's start with the dealer. Andrew at Indian Motorcycle of Charlotte is the best guy I ever dealt with. In order to make up for the long delay and the fact that Indian screwed up my VIN number in the last moment he invited myself and my family to an apparel shopping trip, on top of the custom embroidered leather jacket I will get in a few days. 10 thumbs up for that dealership.
OK, now the bike. All the pictures you have seen do not do it any justice. This bike is truly a work of art. The motor takes your breath away. I just want to comment on some 'issues' other test riders have seen instead of regurgitating all that is perfect with the bike.
Kick stand position: OK, you have to get your foot a little further back to hit it, but no problem after you are used to it.
Ride by wire: smoothest accelerater I have on any bike. It might just take a millisecond to respond, but then you suddenly have to hold on, because the 119ftlbs are right there.
Cruise control: it doesn't get any better than that. You disengage it by turning the handle slightly forward and the rpms do not drop, but pick up right where you are and you do not feel any interruption. Again, smoothest cruise control I have on any of my bikes.
Seat position: I rode 160 miles on the interstate in 39 degrees. Other than my fingers being numb, I have no complaints. Your legs are not being pushed out by the wind and I could have done another 160 miles or more. But only with bigger gloves.
Other than that, this thing is about as perfect as you can get it. Clutch is amazing, shifting is a breeze, torque coming out the a$$. Riding along at 45mph in 6th gear, a quick pull on the throttle and off you go. There is no big vibration in the lower RPM range or any hesitation. This thing just goes.
I have bought this bike sight unseen and I am as happy as it gets.
Now the only downfall is the fact that cagers want to strike up a conversation with you on the Interstate and have a tendency to drive beside your for a while. During the three hour ride, I talked to 8 people in a traffic jam, got 14 thumbs up and even had a 70 year old grandma look three times. But hey, that is what you get if you ride a bike that you don't see to often and sounds amazing. But I definitely have to invest in the stage 1 with fishtail exhaust.
I am going to keep it short, because I have to ride my dream machine.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Screwed up the VIN? Assuming they have gone past 1901 and yours is not a numbered bike?

Congrats on the new ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Great looking bike, bavarian, and good number! Congratulations. You look good on it, Man! Awesome motorcycles, for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
2009 said:
Screwed up the VIN? Assuming they have gone past 1901 and yours is not a numbered bike?

Congrats on the new ride.
it actually is a numbered bike. But instead of #998 I have #1017.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bavarian,

Great looking bike and I can confirm your comments on the dealership.
Mark and Andrew are great guys. They've kept me informed about my Vintage
throughout the process. Now, If I can only get Indian to ship my shark tips so
I can pick up my bike!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations. I have the identical bike ordered, also ordered unseen, ans so was very reassured by your comments.

What date did you order?

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
18875 said:
Congratulations. I have the identical bike ordered, also ordered unseen, ans so was very reassured by your comments.

What date did you order?
I ordered on 8/5

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on your new Indian. I picked mine up last Wednesday and rode it home from Daytona. My wife followed me home and confirmed not only were there numerous thumbs up but many double takes by people walking down the sidewalk. Several of the cars stopped beside me at traffic lights gave a thumbs up and honked thier horns. Never had that much attention riding my Vision. The accolades about this bike still seem to fall short. I just can't stop grinning as I ride my Vintage. The only downside is that my wife isn't happy without her backrest. Hurry up Indian both the backrest and handle bar bags need to arrive soon.

Darryl

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on your bike. That is exactly the one I am trying to get for next spring..................

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
18953 said:
You will absolutely love it.
Already rode one a few times at my local dealer. Bummer that you have to buy the Stage 1 just to get the Shark fins.......I thought the stock exhaust had enough noise for me . The fins realy complete the bike but at a cost.......

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
2108 said:
Already rode one a few times at my local dealer. Bummer that you have to buy the Stage 1 just to get the Shark fins.......I thought the stock exhaust had enough noise for me . The fins realy complete the bike but at a cost.......
The stage one exhaust has a bad ass sound though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Planned on putting on the stage one with fish tails next, but wife feels really uncomfotable on the back without the backrest. So, this will be the first accessory purchase. Does anybody have any idea when they will be available?

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Please do post MPG figures when you're chalking up miles as I'm really curious. I've seen mid to high 30's being posted, as well as mid 40's. 'Your mileage may vary'...............

You look like a pretty big guy so it would be a good test as I am not.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
2108 said:
Please do post MPG figures when you're chalking up miles as I'm really curious. I've seen mid to high 30's being posted, as well as mid 40's. 'Your mileage may vary'...............

You look like a pretty big guy so it would be a good test as I am not.
Coming back from the dealer, we did sometimes 80mph on the interstate. Average speed was about 70. I averaged 37.8mpg. On the weekend I was cruising around town and got around 41-43mpg. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts